List Mgmt. 2022 Trade, Draft, etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep the JHF thing could be a blessing in disguise. If they can nail the 2 picks and bring in 2 quality players plus their first this year that's a big influx of talent. They've got a good core. Just need a quality young full back/interceptor type
yeah, precisely. And JHF was causing headaches at North from day 1. I'm not sure what it was but he seemed to be sulking a lot/rubbing the coaches the wrong way.

It seems less likely that North will split their pick 1, now that they'll have 2 extra first rounders for jHF?

yeah, precisely. And JHF was causing headaches at North from day 1. I'm not sure what it was but he seemed to be sulking a lot/rubbing the coaches the wrong way.

It seems less likely that North will split their pick 1, now that they'll have 2 extra first rounders for jHF?
How highly are the key forwards rated? Is our top pick from freo this year with another first worth moving up to take a look at a key or nah?

How highly are the key forwards rated? Is our top pick from freo this year with another first worth moving up to take a look at a key or nah?
Yeah, it probably is. Cadman could go as high as pick 2. I just want him to fix his set shot kicking though. There's another guy called Max Gruzewski who is flying up the order too. So it depends if Jason Taylor a) rates him and b) whether he thinks he can get him with the picks that he has.

Gruzewski gets serious hangtime in mega mark

I actually feel sorry for North.

I’ve heard that George Wardlaw (likely number 1 pick after Ashcroft) has also told them he doesn’t want to go there.

Same. That's an absolute disaster for North if they've got Victorian kids not wanting to go there, on top of the prospect of any interstate prospect wanting to leave if you choose them.

When you're in the position (like we were for years) that you need to nail 3 or 4 high picks and build your side around them for the next decade, that kind of attitude from draftees makes it nearly impossible.

More than draft concessions, struggling clubs need the system sorted so draftees can't dictate that they're just going to leave as soon as they can. If you put your hand up to play AFL you should play where you're drafted/traded until you reach free agency.

Getting so bad it's nearly time to add a no trade clause to new draftees contracts as standard procedure or add trade/draft concessions if they leave early.
agree. or raise the draft age. Otherwise clubs are just wasting the first 2 years developing a player at a club before they leave essentially training them up for another club. frustrating and it will continue to get worse as the afl continues to follow the nba model.

I don't even understand why there is a draft. Just chuck the 18 year olds into the free agency pool, no different to any other profession.
Because that would just be stupid. GC and GWS would get exactly no one and Geelong WC Richmond and Collingwood would take the best players every year.

I don't even understand why there is a draft. Just chuck the 18 year olds into the free agency pool, no different to any other profession.
The only way the competition works is by having rules around recruitment and retention that levels the playing field. All clubs agree to that to participate in the league. Otherwise there would just be domination of a handful of clubs and it would just come down to who has the biggest wallet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is limited list spots and its a salary cap league. Your concerns about 'who has the biggest wallet' is unfounded. Very few players would take less money than what they can get in the open market; same as most employees.

Nearly everyone has switched jobs for a few extra sheckles.

There is limited list spots and its a salary cap league. Your concerns about 'who has the biggest wallet' is unfounded. Very few players would take less money than what they can get in the open market; same as most employees.

Wrong. The big clubs would shed their depth players and just sign all the draftees each year at 300k meanwhile the tiny clubs would never get anyone good.

I actually love the father/son rule but they should just tinker the points system so you have a maximum amount of picks you can use to make the points total. Or if you're picking a kid in the first round, you've gotta have at least a 2nd rounder in the points mix.

Having WBD/whoever package up a raft of garbage picks to pick up the best kid in the draft is dumb. Or tweak the points attached to each pick to drop off more steeply.

Screenshot_20221003_140441.jpg

"Former Power star Travis Boak"

If your argument against the draft is that it's no different than any other job then surely you must apply that same principle to the other confections that limit recruitment and retention of players. Other jobs don't have salary limits, other jobs don't numerical employment limits.

View attachment 1524818

"Former Power star Travis Boak"
The whole situation around this one is just bizarre.

On the one hand, when there's been as much talk about it as here has, you're left to think that where there's smoke, there's fire.

On the other hand, our response to it has been very emphatic, which then leaves you thinking that it's people associated with the Power trying to wish something into existence - i.e." if we all keep talking about it, then surely it'll come true" :drunk:

Wrong. The big clubs would shed their depth players and just sign all the draftees each year at 300k meanwhile the tiny clubs would never get anyone good.
Can’t have a team of top players, they all need to get paid at some point, Collingwood can’t manage there cap as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back