2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how they said Chol is on $400k for the next 2 seasons like that's a bad contract.

It's slightly above AFL average wage for a guy who kicked 40+ goals in a season.
I would think most clubs wouldn't mind that contract.

I don't think we would have a problem moving either Chol or Burgess.

Sent from my SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understand the chat about trying our best to turn 4 into Reid - but a list can only sustain so many top-dollar guys in reality.
If we skipped Rogers for Reid, then sure but we're still going to struggle to pay everyone. The salaray cap is ultimately the great leveller and prevents this kind of talent stacking.

I also think it's going to be impossible to beat North to Reid. They have SO much top end draft capital and they haven't even got any further assistance or the McKay compensation.

The reality is that we need to be turning 4 into more points this year and more picks next year. Walter, Read and Rogers (maybe Graham?) is an absolutely ridiculous draft haul already of course.

That said, the prospect of Reid in our forward line alongside Walter is unbelievably tantalising - I wish it were more achievable 🤩
We'll be taking all four Academy kids - or so I've been told. Will Graham will be a keeper - as long as his knees hold up. A leader and just the type we need - all aggression and grunt.

How do the Lions continually get everyone? How can they afford it? Neale, Daniher, Cameron, Dunkley and now potentially Doedee? SMH.

The lions list manager clearly doesn’t pay all the plodders and role players on their list overs like ours does. Its been crippling us for along time, and makes it impossible for us to go after the types of players the lions continue to attract

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How do the Lions continually get everyone? How can they afford it? Neale, Daniher, Cameron, Dunkley and now potentially Doedee? SMH.
It's easy to attract free agents when you're on top of the AFL ladder.

Free agency was always to benefit top clubs, it was never meant to help clubs at the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Rich and Adams leaving their defence, maybe there's a few dollars available....and with Doedee missing half next season, maybe it's the length of contract that interests him, something Adelaide aren't offering apparently.

They don’t have guys like Weller and Swallow taking 800k plus a year

Until that changes we’ll never win a premiership

Relax we getting 4 18yr olds

And using up all our draft capital,
Half of which came from last year
To do it 😬

Don’t forget we only drafted Bailey Humphrey last year.
And pushed all the picks into this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think Berry may be the perfect player for Dimma's system. Pacey, aggressive tackler, would look for him to get a run next season.

In before he gets delisted haha.

Dimma loves aggressive role players who apply pressure and play to a system. Reckon your right. A dimma sort of player

Dimma loves aggressive role players who apply pressure and play to a system. Reckon your right. A dimma sort of player

Berry or Holman or even Swallow (whoever gets that role) needs to be pushing 15-20 goals a season though if they are primarily a forward. Your best smalls get 30-40, talls get 40-60, but we need the pressure forwards to chip in with scoreboard pressure.

All three can tackle. Whoever can hit the scoreboard most in this new system is my vote.

Shane McAdam wants out of Adelaide. Could he be interested in joining his cousin, Jy Farrar at the Suns?

Would you bring Dusty in if it meant giving up pick 4 with Richmond paying half of his salary ($700,000) leaving us with the remaining $700,000 to pay? Factoring in of course that Chol, Burgess, Sharp, Hollands and a few others are potentially going out their wages would easily cover that $700,000 so we wouldn’t be eating into our cap space. In my opinion it could be worth it factoring in that pick 4 is a dead pick for us due to our academy selections this draft. If Richmond throw a couple of late picks our way for points I reckon it could be a win win.

Would you bring Dusty in if it meant giving up pick 4 with Richmond paying half of his salary ($700,000) leaving us with the remaining $700,000 to pay? Factoring in of course that Chol, Burgess, Sharp, Hollands and a few others are potentially going out their wages would easily cover that $700,000 so we wouldn’t be eating into our cap space. In my opinion it could be worth it factoring in that pick 4 is a dead pick for us due to our academy selections this draft. If Richmond throw a couple of late picks our way for points I reckon it could be a win win.
They could pay all of his salary, still wouldn't be giving up pick 4.

100%. I’m of the opinion that we let pick 4 get absorbed anyway. Most of the deals getting thrown around aren’t worth it in my eyes to gift another team pick 4 when we are guaranteed to get our academy players either way. At least dusty is a return on investment

They could pay all of his salary, still wouldn't be giving up pick 4.
Agree, you can get the guy for free I repeat free, did I mention free in 2025? Why would you give away an elite pick for him?

Last edited:
I would. Unless there's something better on offer in terms of gun player/s. I'd rather split pick 4 first with someone like the bulldogs but we need a gun player now not another draft pick. 4 academy young guns and a senior a grader or two to replace 7-10 list cloggers is what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back