Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 150 36.6%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.2%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.4%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Like Ty vickery. Pick 29 compo (Shai Bolton) played 6 games for hawthorn

The whole thing seems v Complex and open to rorts

So, Clarko was bemoaning the fact that the draft had whiskers on it and then they ask for the whole head! Absolute rubbish the way the AFL run this competition. If we finish bottom four next year, we should be knocking on their door as well.

It's horse shit. He sooks about it being compromised and then goes and sooks about needing extra assistance.

Sounds like a top lad.
I’ve led the charge for Duursma but this guy and Curtin are probably the best reward/risk prospects who are likely to available for us to pick.

Still want Duursma as a priority but I really want us to get that second top 6 pick.
Unfortunately when north get compo and pick 1 I can’t see how eagles with pick 2/3 don’t take McKercher with Curtin. Would love him and Duursma with suns pick.

Unfortunately when north get compo and pick 1 I can’t see how eagles with pick 2/3 don’t take McKercher with Curtin. Would love him and Duursma with suns pick.
That's OK.
I still think the consensus has been too dismissive of Caddy who has logged big performances despite injury/illness this year.
He is one to watch as a "consolation" pick who outperforms.

Still feel Watson slipping to 8-12 is warranted and do not want with top 5-6 picks.
We're in a good position no matter what happens and who falls to our pick IMO.

That's OK.
I still think the consensus has been too dismissive of Caddy who has logged big performances despite injury/illness this year.
He is one to watch as a "consolation" pick who outperforms.

Still feel Watson slipping to 8-12 is warranted and do not want with top 5-6 picks.
We're in a good position no matter what happens and who falls to our pick IMO.
That’s where my crows idea I think holds a lot of potential. Suns 4 to crows for 9 and f1 and our f2 or similar. Get Watson caddy osullivan with our second pick and get back into f1 round.

That’s where my crows idea I think holds a lot of potential. Suns 4 to crows for 9 and f1 and our f2 or similar. Get Watson caddy osullivan with our second pick and get back into f1 round.

Duursma Watson and Caddy Would be a dream scenario.
O'Sullivan - I have made my views clear on him, so I will save everybody a repeat. No thx.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the online discussion and media reports it seems:
WCE - Curtin
North - Reid + McKercher
GCS - Walter

I haven't read that any club has their sights set on the others.

Who would WCE choose after Curtin if they traded down from pick 1?

They need midfielders badly, so McKercher. I reckon they take him as a priority over Curtin.

WCE - Curtin
North - Reid + McKercher
GCS - Walter

McKercher no doubt

Cal Twomey thinks Tew Jiath will go in the top 30 picks of the draft leaving us unable to match a bid on him

I expect the rule will change and only top 20 / first round bids will be exempt from being matched. This will be a fairer and sensible change.

Sadly, I also expect that change will be held off until next year.

Or maybe Twomey is trying to build the hype around Jiath in the hope he gets taken before we can match the bid
Yep said similar against his phantom guide on twitter, that it’s obvious who the essendon supporter in the room is…
Or maybe just maybe he rates Jiath/knows clubs rate him and it has nothing to do with trying to screw Hawthorn over.

Or maybe just maybe he rates Jiath/knows clubs rate him and it has nothing to do with trying to screw Hawthorn over.
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

With ball in hand Watson was as incisive and damaging as ever, but he has been struggling a little to find the footy and hit the scoreboard in recent weeks. With his Ranges team progressing through to the prelim final, he'll have another chance to remind everyone of his elite talent this weekend.

If Sanders isn't going to North he also becomes an option imo, other than the 3 Academy players for Gold Coast there's a clear top 10 that most agree upon, the 7 available to clubs are

Harley Reid - pick 1
Daniel Curtin - kpd/mid
Colby McKercher - think Merrett
Zane Duursma - think Fritsch
Nick Watson - goal kicking small forw
Ryley Sanders - think a less combative JHF
Connor O'Sullivan - taller less quick Weddle

I think Duursma would fit what we are looking for, but there's a bunch of options depending on what the decision makers at the club are looking for.

WCE - Curtin
North - Reid + McKercher
GCS - Walter

I think that the Weagles would want a Top 15 pick as Sweetener or pick improvement if they trade down eg WCE give up Picks #1 and #19 for North's #2 and 16 and say Norths' F3

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back