Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 150 36.6%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.2%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.4%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m always interested in how one draft class compared to another. @davo27, if you had to pick a combined top 10 of 2022-23 how would you rank it (based on the 2022 class’s pre-draft form)?

I’m always interested in how one draft class compared to another. @davo27, if you had to pick a combined top 10 of 2022-23 how would you rank it (based on the 2022 class’s pre-draft form)?
I liked last year a lot and some of the talent already playing well shows it was a stronger draft than most, I personally would pick these 10 players from both years

1. Will Ashcroft - he would go 1 this year, accumulator mid with skills under pressure
2. Harley Reid - didn't have as impressive draft year as I wanted to see
3. George Wardlaw - very strong midfielder, does all the unheralded tough stuff
4. Harry Sheezel - dominated as a forward and averaged 30 in the midfield prior to draft
5. Jed Walter - dominant kpf
6. Colby McKercher - inside and outside game, well balanced mid
7. Aaron Cadman - talented kpf
8. Cam Mackenzie - elite disposal and good spread from a contest
9. Reuben Ginbey - athletic mid with great endurance
10. Bailey Humphrey - skilful mid forw, some accuracy problems

Tsatas, Phillipou, Clark, Curtin, Sanders, Read, Duursma and Watson just miss out, as you can see last year dominates a bit.

Last edited:
I think that the Weagles would want a Top 15 pick as Sweetener or pick improvement if they trade down eg WCE give up Picks #1 and #19 for North's #2 and 16 and say Norths' F3
WC want Curtain, so North won’t need to give anything like 2 & 3. 2 and Port’s first (likely 13 or 16) should be enough.

Also, depending on who North or WC (or maybe us) want with their first, should be able to to a live trade with GC. E.g. If North want Watson, they tell GC they are about to call Walter with Pick 3, encouraging GC to trade that pick for 5 and a future first.

I liked last year a lot and some of the talent already playing well shows it was a stronger draft than most, I personally would pick these 10 players from both years

1. Will Ashcroft - he would go 1 this year, accumulator mid with skills under pressure
4. Harry Sheezel - dominated as a forward and averaged 30 in the midfield prior to draft

Tsatas, Phillipou, Clark, Curtin, Sanders, Read, Duursma and Watson just miss out, as you can see last year dominates a bit.
Would imagine it’s difficult to not have some level of unconscious bias having seen last years crop playing this year also. Last years crop looks an absolute ripper

WC want Curtain, so North won’t need to give anything like 2 & 3. 2 and Port’s first (likely 13 or 16) should be enough.

Also, depending on who North or WC (or maybe us) want with their first, should be able to to a live trade with GC. E.g. If North want Watson, they tell GC they are about to call Walter with Pick 3, encouraging GC to trade that pick for 5 and a future first.
West Coast may want Curtin, but I'm not sure that North do. If Curtin is going to slip to pick 6-7, then it means that many other clubs could have a play at pick one. I think some clubs would offer picks 5&9, or 4&10.

Thanks for sharing!

Hey Davo-27, how good is Croft? Would it be a stretch to draft him at 3-4 ( would the Dogs match that high)?

Hey Davo-27, how good is Croft? Would it be a stretch to draft him at 3-4 ( would the Dogs match that high)?
Croft is very athletic, but lacks some general football skills, he gets a lot of free kicks when he drops marks and everytime I have seen him play he misses too many gettable shots at goal, he is 200cm and highly athletic, but lacking polish, even his general kicking and ruck work is in need of improvement, I have him outside the top 20, but some like him much higher, he had a good champs game where it nearly all came together, but I think he is being over rated atm.

His CTL stats(I'm taking out the joke of a game vs Northern Territory, they were so bad, it was hard to watch) 10 games 18.17 goals.behinds, which is OK and not great seeing as he played half the season against weaker teams in the CTL when half of the League plays in the private school Leagues, there's a lot of risk getting an athlete who needs to improve his game as much as he does.

Last edited:
Croft is very athletic, but lacks some general football skills, he gets a lot of free kicks when he drops marks and everytime I have seen him play he misses too many gettable shots at goal, he is 200cm and highly athletic, but lacking polish, even his general kicking and ruck work is in need of improvement, I have him outside the top 20, but some like him much higher, he had a good champs game where it nearly all came together, but I think he is being over rated atm.

His CTL stats(I'm taking out the joke of a game vs Northern Territory, they were so bad, it was hard to watch) 10 games 18.17 goals.behinds, which is OK and not great seeing as he played half the season against weaker teams in the CTL when half of the League plays in the private school Leagues, there's a lot of risk getting an athlete who needs to improve his game as much as he does.
Cheers for the reply, the reason I ask is I read that the Dogs are favourites for the suns pick 4 apparently willing to trade them pick 10, the Lions 1st pick and a future fisrt ( with something else going back to the Dogs). So was thinking we could spook them into trading with us for 3, then we could on trade the lions 1st with the dogs future first and pick 28 for pick 4 leaving us with pick 10 as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

History, look how our other nga have been treated, once stolen from us.

We know these guys need time, we gave CJ more time than most clubs would. An we invest in them and their development.

Sydney are excellent at developing players and give their draftees plenty of time. It seems like they are the most interested, reportedly anyway. If he ends up there he will have a chance to succeed.

As for the other NGA players you're referring to - maybe they just weren't good enough. Have any of them been picked up again and been successes?

Sydney are excellent at developing players and give their draftees plenty of time. It seems like they are the most interested, reportedly anyway. If he ends up there he will have a chance to succeed.

As for the other NGA players you're referring to - maybe they just weren't good enough. Have any of them been picked up again and been successes?
Look you don’t have to agree with me! I never asked you too, that’s my opinion. I feel for the guys as I reckon they’d get longer at the Hawks.

An the Hawks gave CJ years!

Yeah I'd love for us to draft 2J too.

I just don't see any evidence to support your claim at all.
An I never stated another club!

I simply said I feel the Hawks draft our NGA player knowing they need time and the players get that time with us.

Others jump in before us, as we’re interested in our own and they expect Newcombe kind of success!

An you don’t have see it, if you wish to keep your eyes closed that’s your call.

An I never stated another club!

I simply said I feel the Hawks draft our NGA player knowing they need time and the players get that time with us.

Others jump in before us, as we’re interested in our own and they expect Newcombe kind of success!

A you don’t have see it, if you wish to keep your eyes closed that’s your call.
An vs And

They are so similar but so different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back