Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wilson is on the rise. Looks a pure winger to me. Should be around our draft range

I've watched him a few times. He really caught my eye in the third quarter of the Academy game. He's like the Energizer Bunny. He just doesn’t stop moving. He has proper acceleration from stoppages and off the wing that, even despite our recent drafting success, we don't have. He reminds me of Connor Rozee (he even said it himself), but without the arrogance (Thank gosh). A top-quality winger can be one of the most understated qualities of a top side, and with his versatility, he is a very attractive proposition for us. I have him around pick 10 at this stage, but he could well be right around our pick by year’s end if he has a strong national championships and consistent CTL performances.

I find this discussion to be discriminatory to those of us who are pigment challenged!
Joe Biden Cheers GIF by C-SPAN

I really like duursma for us this year. I think he is 190cm but plays extremely well above his head. Classy mover. Imagining him having a 75/25 split at AFL level as a forward/mid. Little bit of Ollie Henry about his forward work.

Looks scarily similar to Cale Morton though so that is a worry

I think these highlights of the Wiz show how his game translates. He wins a number of ground balls in contested situations and still is able to find a teammate despite pressure and contact. One of the last plays he actually draws in three players and handballs to a player in space who is able to have a shot on goal. I think he is tough enough to go win the ball at AFL level and that will be his go. Start him off a flank and bring him up around the stoppages after the centre bounce. If he plays off half back, play him in the unaccountable playmaker role (ala daicos or sheezel). Definitely an intriguing prospect

I think these highlights of the Wiz show how his game translates. He wins a number of ground balls in contested situations and still is able to find a teammate despite pressure and contact. One of the last plays he actually draws in three players and handballs to a player in space who is able to have a shot on goal. I think he is tough enough to go win the ball at AFL level and that will be his go. Start him off a flank and bring him up around the stoppages after the centre bounce. If he plays off half back, play him in the unaccountable playmaker role (ala daicos or sheezel). Definitely an intriguing prospect

He is clean below his knees and obviously very quick but I’m not too impressed by that vision. Don’t think his ball use by foot was very good apart from one beauty to Reid. Lot of quick hands off the deck but can he change the angles? Can he stand up to tackles at afl level? Still looking more small forward than mid to me but I haven’t watched anything but clips on here so take it with a grain of salt. I think we need to see him at the champs and probably still won’t know what his ceiling is until we see him in the afl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is clean below his knees and obviously very quick but I’m not too impressed by that vision. Don’t think his ball use by foot was very good apart from one beauty to Reid. Lot of quick hands off the deck but can he change the angles? Can he stand up to tackles at afl level? Still looking more small forward than mid to me but I haven’t watched anything but clips on here so take it with a grain of salt. I think we need to see him at the champs and probably still won’t know what his ceiling is until we see him in the afl.
Definitely looks a small forward for mine as well. Has the traits to be absolutely elite in that area.

He could do some real damage roving packs with his pace and agility.

My main query is how is he going to go against the bigger AFL bodies who will place themself between him and the ball.

Definitely looks a small forward for mine as well. Has the traits to be absolutely elite in that area.

He could do some real damage roving packs with his pace and agility.

My main query is how is he going to go against the bigger AFL bodies who will place themself between him and the ball.
He will sit on their heads.

I dunno. I think it's pretty impressive that at 18 and being that small he not only isn't afraid of contact but he seeks it out so he can release to team mates in better position.

To get 109 AFL ranking points off 19 disposals is just pure impact as well.

My biggest question mark on him would be his tank.

Agree. Bit worried though that Davo 27 doesn’t rate him in his top 10 ATM Davo is this still your position?
Things change, at the time (about a month ago) I did that list it was around round 2 CTL where he had a slow start to the season and he was at that time around 11-12, but I think he has shown more since then, he is probably inside the top 10 now, I will be updating the rankings again soon.

I dunno. I think it's pretty impressive that at 18 and being that small he not only isn't afraid of contact but he seeks it out so he can release to team mates in better position.

To get 109 AFL ranking points off 19 disposals is just pure impact as well.

My biggest question mark on him would be his tank.
Which can be improved. AFL Conditioning. Most use it, improves them, some don’t come on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back