Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 149 36.4%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.3%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.2%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.5%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, that's the thing, why is this 170 guy so highly rated but no other in twenty years? That's the breaker there.
His height is being oversold heaps.

His ability is freakish and he’s able to play multiple roles, small fwd, midfield, half back.

He’s absolutely lightning quick, and his agility is frankly unfair. He has a really good leap and is good overhead, and uses his height at ground level with his pace and agility, plus smarts, skill, toughness and swagger.

He’s got everything besides height in absolute spades.

Nick Watson - 170cm
McDonald-Tipungwuti - 171cm
Kozi Pickett - 171cm
Liam Baker - 173cm

Height won't matter too much if the top prospects keep producing similar outputs.

Reid is a lock.

Watson is easily the 2nd best performed.

Curtin hasn't done much.

Duursma struggled in the rep game.

A. Reid isn't dominating.

Moir hasn't really been tested at SANFL level.

If no one else stakes a claim at the champs then Watson is likely to go pick 2
I am sold but I can't see us getting a top 2 pick.
I think the WCE have the spoon sewn up and I think NM will finish 2nd last.

Who were the highly rated kids from last years' draft that didn't get selected? Wouldn't they be a good starting point for the MSD?

Syzbowski was one right?
Will Elliot might be the biggest one. Was in the frame for the first round early in the year, but had a knee injury and missed most of the year. Now playing at Chargers as an overager, and had a solid return last week.
Very much in the Ramsden mold, as a 200cm+ forward who can ruck.

I think you are getting him mixed up with Joel Selwood!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If I remember correctly there was 3 weeks straight one year he lifted his elbow (or had reportable offenses) into someone’s head, finally got a week on the third time.

Will Elliot might be the biggest one. Was in the frame for the first round early in the year, but had a knee injury and missed most of the year. Now playing at Chargers as an overager, and had a solid return last week.

I have been wondering whether we might still be looking at Will!
Thanks SYL!

Well, that's the thing, why is this 170 guy so highly rated but no other in twenty years? That's the breaker there.

Probably because the fact is if he was 4 inches taller he'd be the consensus number 1 draft pick (which is crazy when you consider how far Harley Reid is ahead of the pack).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His height is being oversold heaps.

His ability is freakish and he’s able to play multiple roles, small fwd, midfield, half back.

He’s absolutely lightning quick, and his agility is frankly unfair. He has a really good leap and is good overhead, and uses his height at ground level with his pace and agility, plus smarts, skill, toughness and swagger.

He’s got everything besides height in absolute spades.
Agree. If Watson didn’t have a good leap and was weak overhead, his height would become a greater factor, but that’s not the case.

He would also be a real weapon with our fast paced game style and complement our existing mids greatly.

Watson looks like a Tom Papley/Stephen Milne hybrid with a junior career in his pocket that suggests he is projecting better than both of them.

If we don't finish last I'd take him in a heartbeat. Genuine match winning qualities.

Watson looks like a Tom Papley/Stephen Milne hybrid with a junior career in his pocket that suggests he is projecting better than both of them.

If we don't finish last I'd take him in a heartbeat. Genuine match winning qualities.
I was just coming in to post re: Stephen Milne; namely, that IMO Watson has better physical attributes & higher upside than Milne.

Milne kicked 575 goals or something similar.

Well worth a Pick 2-5 IMO.

Pretty excited by this.

No idea if we're interested, but I really hope that we are.

There's a first for everything, so yea the height could be an issue, but not insurmountable.

Small fwds have traditionally been taken late, but the Dees went early on Pickett and that reaped a big dividend. Haven't seen much of Watson but he looked super quick in the game vs Port highlights.

So he can be Picked up in the Mid Season draft how good would it be to get our next twin towers forward line from the mid season draft.

Anyone know Watson still going to play games with box hill this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been wondering whether we might still be looking at Will!
Thanks SYL!

From last year - predraft.

Will Elliott
State: Victoria Metro
State League Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Community Club: Surrey Park
Date of Birth: 11/06/04; Height: 202cm; Weight: 90kg

Ruckman/key forward who looked an outstanding prospect in 2021, showing great mobility and strength overhead. Unfortunately, he was injured early in the 2022 NAB League season and played only two matches. Clubs have continued to monitor his recovery and he received an invitation to the 2022 NAB AFL State Draft Combine in Victoria. Is the son of former Australian cricketer Matthew Elliott.

Will Elliott

Ruckman/key forward who looked an outstanding prospect in 2021, showing great mobility and strength overhead. Unfortunately, he was injured early in the 2022 NAB League season and played only two matches. Clubs have continued to monitor his recovery and he received an invitation to the 2022 NAB AFL State Draft Combine in Victoria. Is the son of former Australian cricketer Matthew Elliott.
do it jewish GIF

Will Elliott

As much as we are all thinking kpf, a ruckman is another list gap now. Not expecting g him to come in but if he is a top talent then I’m all for grabbing a ruck.

As much as we are all thinking kpf, a ruckman is another list gap now. Not expecting g him to come in but if he is a top talent then I’m all for grabbing a ruck.
Needs to be best talent. Regardless of size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Back