Official Club Stuff 2023 AGM - held on Friday 9th Feb 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Uh, so, they did their usual fluff pieces, we’re profitable, look how amazing our new facilities are, here’s the plans for our stands, blah blah

Aaaaaanyway, Q&A time,

* some old codger asking a question about the “no” vote for some reason,

* some old lady asking something about the Prince Albert of Wales Hotel,

* surprisingly no questions about buses,

* two really good questions that seemed to stump Kochie, about how the Crows will be a fully member elected board from 2028 onwards and are there any plans for us to do the same?

* one fella asking about the new light towers and what could mean for AFL reserves/SANFL and AFLW, maybe even concerts (Kochie said he’d like to see another Cold Chisel show, like the one in the 90’s)

* and, right when they were asking “is that all?”, one lady stands up and asks the hard questions: are you comfortable with our finals performances? Was anyone else considered for Hinkley’s role? Do you accept 11 years of mediocrity? Kochie started answering, but then she kept interjecting and I couldn’t hear what she was asking as she didn’t have a microphone, but I could tell Kochie and Richo were squirming a bit

I did an audio recording on my phone, I’ll see if I can write a transcript of what was asked

How was the room when the human Sack Hinkley thread started up? Murmuring of assent? Outright acceptance? Booing and hissing?

How was the room when the human Sack Hinkley thread started up? Murmuring of assent? Outright acceptance? Booing and hissing?
Like bringbackbucky said earlier, there was definitely a turning point in the vibe.

Fair bit of applause after she asked and before Kochie began answering.

Did the Senior Coach make an appearance? Is that a thing at AGMs (genuine question, I don’t know)?
He got a fluffball interview from D Norton.

Then stood off to the side while the group of new players got up next.

As soon as that was done, I watched, as he made his way straight out the back door, as the questions from the floor were about to start.

As soon as that was done, I watched, as he made his way straight out the back door, as the questions from the floor were about to start.
He's a ****ing hack. He's done this every AGM, some he doesn't even turn up

A couple of other things I forgot to mention:

* the plans for the upgrade of the Fos Williams stand look pretty schmick, and the bowls club next door is on board, which is good

Just to clarify... there's another plan to upgrade the Fos Williams stand?

Regarding the bowls club next door what are they looking at doing? Another stand/function centre?

Thanks

Not brave at all then!

Why am I not surprised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Davies and Ken specifically blamed last years shit show on the defence being undermanned/undersized.

No mention of the disappearing midfield or peanut brittle fragility of the entire side when the wick got lit.

Last edited:
Uh, so, they did their usual fluff pieces, we’re profitable, look how amazing our new facilities are, here’s the plans for our stands, blah blah

Aaaaaanyway, Q&A time,

* two really good questions that seemed to stump Kochie, about how the Crows will be a fully member elected board from 2028 onwards and are there any plans for us to do the same?

The same question REH asked David last year and David gave him a "oh is that the case" response.

Sounding like filibustering now. :(

Disgraceful.

Not only is he chronically useless as an AFL senior coach he’s scared to death of his missus.

Infuriating. The protection this guy gets makes my blood boil. He must have Koch held over a barrel on something big (I’m guessing it’s, still, the explosive fallout to the 2017 EF), because he has operated with complete impunity for years and nobody inside the club seems to have the guts to confront him - on anything.

Transcript of the question at the end:

Kochie: "are we all done?... Esava Ratagolea, for anyone who wants to compete on the bench press with him in the new gym, (sensible chuckles), uh one question here:"

(I picked up my phone at this point and I couldn't hear the first part of her question on playback, I think it was about how we're doing well financially, off the field)

#sackhinkley Lady, angrily: "...but from a football point of view, we don't beat the Crows, we don't play finals well, consistently, are you comfortable with our coach saying "finals are scary"? Are you comfortable with our coach saying "I hope they remember we beat them by 52 points last time"? (referring to the Brisbane qualifying final), are you comfortable with that? And do you think it was dumb with that reappointment? Did we not look at anyone else?"

(louder than expected applause)

Kochie: "yes we did, we're not comfortable with it... (awkward silence)

(The Lady keeps interjecting and I can't hear what she's asking, she initially had a microphone, then didn't)

Kochie: "uhhh... we're very happy to have all views, we took a whole football club decision to reappoint Ken and Ken has the confidence of the players"

(more interjecting that I can't hear)

Kochie: "So so we took a recommendation and a view was done by our football committee, which included Dom Cassisi, erm..."

Kochie: "I understand your frustration, don't think that we're not equally as frustrated. Years ago, when we were and I said at the time, we were a mediocre club, and we were stuck in that 9th/10th, remember those few years, and we've made significant change in our playing group, with bringing in players like Butters, Rozee and Duursma, and we were heavily criticised for trading a number of our star players, who we didn't think fit the culture going forward. We're now stuck, I would...ummm...through the last four years, top 4, so we're not stuck at mediocre, we're stuck at good and not great, and it means we have to do something different to get great. So we think we have it. We think we've done it, through our list managing, through a generational change in our leadership group on the field..."

(some other fella at the back pipes up "can you give her a microphone please!")

Richo takes over: "There's a whole lot of things you have to do to in order to give yourself a chance to win a premiership. There's not one thing you can do that's going to guarantee that you're going to win a premiership. All of those things if you look at our football program, (something else I can't quite hear), if you look at our list management, if you look at our playing list, if you look at the talent that we have and the collective coaching, there's a whole lot of things you have to do to give yourself a chance and if you don't do those things, then you have got no chance, we've got a football program that has great people, we're doing a lot of things right...but, absolutely, there are things that we have to improve and we have to get better at. And, as Chris and Kenny went through, last year, we had a couple of clear deficiencies, we can't do anything about last year, what we can do now is focus on what we can do in 2024, and all I would say is: if you're not excited about what you're seeing in 2024 with our playing group and our football program, well I'm sorry but, you're not looking hard enough, because we've got really exciting football program"

(someone else interjecting "be excited? 11 years we've 'been exited'!")

Another lady is given a microphone, and has a comment more so than a question, and...that was it

and all I would say is: if you're not excited about what you're seeing in 2024 with our playing group and our football program, well I'm sorry but, you're not looking hard enough, because we've got really exciting football program"

2013: Monfries (Wines)
2014: Polec/White
2015: Ryder
2016: Dixon
2017: (Marshall/SPP)
2018: Rockliff/Watts/Motlop
2019: Lycett/Burton (Rozee/Butters)
2020: (Bergman/Georgiades)
2021: Aliir/Fantasia
2022: Finlayson
2023: JHF, Rioli
2024: Soldo, Sweet, BZT, Ratugolea

“iF yOu CaN’t GeT ExCiTeD fOr ThAt”

Richardson still trying to put this on us after ELEVEN years.

Aaaaaanyway, Q&A time,

* some old codger asking a question about the “no” vote for some reason,

* some old lady asking something about the Prince Albert of Wales Hotel,

* surprisingly no questions about buses,

* one fella asking about the new light towers and what could mean for AFL reserves/SANFL and AFLW, maybe even concerts (Kochie said he’d like to see another Cold Chisel show, like the one in the 90’s)

* and, right when they were asking “is that all?”, one lady stands up and asks the hard questions: are you comfortable with our finals performances? Was anyone else considered for Hinkley’s role? Do you accept 11 years of mediocrity? Kochie started answering, but then she kept interjecting and I couldn’t hear what she was asking as she didn’t have a microphone, but I could tell Kochie and Richo were squirming a bit

I did an audio recording on my phone, I’ll see if I can write a transcript of what was asked
Well done mum

Transcript of the question at the end:

Kochie: "are we all done?... Esava Ratagolea, for anyone who wants to compete on the bench press with him in the new gym, (sensible chuckles), uh one question here:"

(I picked up my phone at this point and I couldn't hear the first part of her question on playback, I think it was about how we're doing well financially, off the field)

#sackhinkley Lady, angrily: "...but from a football point of view, we don't beat the Crows, we don't play finals well, consistently, are you comfortable with our coach saying "finals are scary"? Are you comfortable with our coach saying "I hope they remember we beat them by 52 points last time"? (referring to the Brisbane qualifying final), are you comfortable with that? And do you think it was dumb with that reappointment? Did we not look at anyone else?"

(louder than expected applause)

Kochie: "yes we did, we're not comfortable with it... (awkward silence)

(The Lady keeps interjecting and I can't hear what she's asking, she initially had a microphone, then didn't)

Kochie: "uhhh... we're very happy to have all views, we took a whole football club decision to reappoint Ken and Ken has the confidence of the players"

Kochie: "So so we took a recommendation and a view was done by our football committee, which included Dom Cassisi, erm..."

Kochie: "I understand your frustration, don't think that we're not equally as frustrated. Years ago, when we were and I said at the time, we were a mediocre club, and we were stuck in that 9th/10th, remember those few years, and we've made significant change in our playing group, with bringing in players like Butters, Rozee and Duursma, and we were heavily criticised for trading a number of our star players, who we didn't think fit the culture going forward. We're now stuck, I would...ummm...through the last four years, top 4, so we're not stuck at mediocre, we're stuck at good and not great, and it means we have to do something different to get great. So we think we have it. We think we've done it, through our list managing, through a generational change in our leadership group on the field..."

(some other fella at the back pipes up "can you give her a microphone please!")

Richo takes over: "There's a whole lot of things you have to do to in order to give yourself a chance to win a premiership. There's not one thing you can do that's going to guarantee that you're going to win a premiership. All of those things if you look at our football program, (something else I can't quite hear), if you look at our list management, if you look at our playing list, if you look at the talent that we have and the collective coaching, there's a whole lot of things you have to do to give yourself a chance and if you don't do those things, then you have got no chance, we've got a football program that has great people, we're doing a lot of things right...but, absolutely, there are things that we have to improve and we have to get better at. And, as Chris and Kenny went through, last year, we had a couple of clear deficiencies, we can't do anything about last year, what we can do now is focus on what we can do in 2024, and all I would say is: if you're not excited about what you're seeing in 2024 with our playing group and our football program, well I'm sorry but, you're not looking hard enough, because we've got really exciting football program"

Another lady is given a microphone, and has a comment more so than a question, and...that was it
Lol. We brought in Duursma 😆😆😆😆😆

I was one of those questioners.

The first question was framed as us being one of the interstate clubs who had an AFL appointed board - Koch answered that the board isn't dictated to us, just ratified, which ignored the premise of the question which was around how we get more member appointed positions on the board. I wasn't going to ask anything, but I wasn't satisfied with the answer given to that guy, so I ended up being riled up enough that I forgot I didn't like public speaking. I can't remember what I said verbatim, but the below is my recollection.

I said something along the lines of we have two member elected board positions, given we no longer have any debt to the AFL what do we need to do to we need to do to get more member appointed board positions? Made the point that Victorian clubs have full control of their boards and it works for them, so why not us? The answer was Koch turning to Jamie Retsas saying that we need to amend our constitution.

I followed up with noting that we are a community club, coming up from the SANFL to the national competition, we don't have control or agency over the board as members, and the Crows who were a made up club from nowhere will have full control of their board in 2028, and that the fact that their members will have more control of their club than we will of ours doesn't sit well. Koch answered that he wasn't aware.

I knew it had been asked last year, so when Koch said he hadn't heard of it I wasn't going to let it stand with that, suggested that he come prepared next year because the question has come up before. Didn't come across to me like he was interested in a change of governance.

What was interesting afterwards was the discussion with me from some club officials (including one of the guys packing up the chairs) turned into a very John Howard "yeah, a republic, great, but what if it goes badly huh? Best not change anything" vibe. Came across like the club doesn't trust that our members would be smart enough to vote for anyone except for ex-footballers - I made the comment that the Victorian clubs aren't beset with these issues and have a decent skill mix on their boards, why would we be different if we had a full or half member appointed board.

The other notes I took were:
-No debt to the SANFL or AFL, still about $3m in debt but its a bank debt

-Revenue from membership renewals is YTD, according to the slides they put up, only about $100k behind the total prior year revenue.

-The bowling club is being re-done as the next stage of the Alberton Oval precinct, there'll be a range of other services included in it which is meant to allow the Alberton Oval precinct to be used by more of the community, more often

-Ken Hinkley's interview was typically full of him staring at the ceiling searching for words and including a range of mixed and contradictory metaphors, but the funniest line was when he said, referring to Rozee as captain, "Leadership is about getting results" or words to that effect. Lacking in self awareness as always, after 11 years without a GF or flag, his leadership has failed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff 2023 AGM - held on Friday 9th Feb 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back