Official Club Stuff 2023 AGM - held on Friday 9th Feb 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I was one of those questioners.

The first question was framed as us being one of the interstate clubs who had an AFL appointed board - Koch answered that the board isn't dictated to us, just ratified, which ignored the premise of the question which was around how we get more member appointed positions on the board. I wasn't going to ask anything, but I wasn't satisfied with the answer given to that guy, so I ended up being riled up enough that I forgot I didn't like public speaking. I can't remember what I said verbatim, but the below is my recollection.

I said something along the lines of we have two member elected board positions, given we no longer have any debt to the AFL what do we need to do to we need to do to get more member appointed board positions? Made the point that Victorian clubs have full control of their boards and it works for them, so why not us? The answer was Koch turning to Jamie Retsas saying that we need to amend our constitution.

I followed up with noting that we are a community club, coming up from the SANFL to the national competition, we don't have control or agency over the board as members, and the Crows who were a made up club from nowhere will have full control of their board in 2028, and that the fact that their members will have more control of their club than we will of ours doesn't sit well. Koch answered that he wasn't aware.

I knew it had been asked last year, so when Koch said he hadn't heard of it I wasn't going to let it stand with that, suggested that he come prepared next year because the question has come up before. Didn't come across to me like he was interested in a change of governance.

What was interesting afterwards was the discussion with me from some club officials (including one of the guys packing up the chairs) turned into a very John Howard "yeah, a republic, great, but what if it goes badly huh? Best not change anything" vibe. Came across like the club doesn't trust that our members would be smart enough to vote for anyone except for ex-footballers - I made the comment that the Victorian clubs aren't beset with these issues and have a decent skill mix on their boards, why would we be different if we had a full or half member appointed board.

The other notes I took were:
-No debt to the SANFL or AFL, still about $3m in debt but its a bank debt

-Revenue from membership renewals is YTD, according to the slides they put up, only about $100k behind the total prior year revenue.

-The bowling club is being re-done as the next stage of the Alberton Oval precinct, there'll be a range of other services included in it which is meant to allow the Alberton Oval precinct to be used by more of the community, more often

-Ken Hinkley's interview was typically full of him staring at the ceiling searching for words and including a range of mixed and contradictory metaphors, but the funniest line was when he said, referring to Rozee as captain, "Leadership is about getting results" or words to that effect. Lacking in self awareness as always, after 11 years without a GF or flag, his leadership has failed.
Ah yeah, you were sitting on the other side of the room from me.

I was like "thank f**k, an interesting question", especially after those two old bats before you

The first question was framed as us being one of the interstate clubs who had an AFL appointed board - Koch answered that the board isn't dictated to us, just ratified, which ignored the premise of the question which was around how we get more member appointed positions on the board. I wasn't going to ask anything, but I wasn't satisfied with the answer given to that guy, so I ended up being riled up enough that I forgot I didn't like public speaking. I can't remember what I said verbatim, but the below is my recollection.

I said something along the lines of we have two member elected board positions, given we no longer have any debt to the AFL what do we need to do to we need to do to get more member appointed board positions? Made the point that Victorian clubs have full control of their boards and it works for them, so why not us? The answer was Koch turning to Jamie Retsas saying that we need to amend our constitution.

I followed up with noting that we are a community club, coming up from the SANFL to the national competition, we don't have control or agency over the board as members, and the Crows who were a made up club from nowhere will have full control of their board in 2028, and that the fact that their members will have more control of their club than we will of ours doesn't sit well. Koch answered that he wasn't aware.

I knew it had been asked last year, so when Koch said he hadn't heard of it I wasn't going to let it stand with that, suggested that he come prepared next year because the question has come up before. Didn't come across to me like he was interested in a change of governance.

What was interesting afterwards was the discussion with me from some club officials (including one of the guys packing up the chairs) turned into a very John Howard "yeah, a republic, great, but what if it goes badly huh? Best not change anything" vibe. Came across like the club doesn't trust that our members would be smart enough to vote for anyone except for ex-footballers - I made the comment that the Victorian clubs aren't beset with these issues and have a decent skill mix on their boards, why would we be different if we had a full or half member appointed board.

-Revenue from membership renewals is YTD, according to the slides they put up, only about $100k behind the total prior year revenue.

-The bowling club is being re-done as the next stage of the Alberton Oval precinct, there'll be a range of other services included in it which is meant to allow the Alberton Oval precinct to be used by more of the community, more often

-Ken Hinkley's interview was typically full of him staring at the ceiling searching for words and including a range of mixed and contradictory metaphors, but the funniest line was when he said, referring to Rozee as captain, "Leadership is about getting results" or words to that effect. Lacking in self awareness as always, after 11 years without a GF or flag, his leadership has failed.
Sorry to interrupt, but I could be wrong in believing that Koch answered the same way last year about the Crows board question.

Ahh, that makes more sense.

Based on other post-COVID results and the pace at which the debt was previously being paid off, I estimated we were ~$2,500,000 in the red atm (so $3,000,000 to the bank would make sense especially if at the mercy of variable rates).

2013: Monfries (Wines)
2014: Polec/White
2015: Ryder
2016: Dixon
2017: (Marshall/SPP)
2018: Rockliff/Watts/Motlop
2019: Lycett/Burton (Rozee/Butters)
2020: (Bergman/Georgiades)
2021: Aliir/Fantasia
2022: Finlayson
2023: JHF, Rioli
2024: Soldo, Sweet, BZT, Ratugolea

“iF yOu CaN’t GeT ExCiTeD fOr ThAt”

Richardson still trying to put this on us after ELEVEN years.
How dare you hurt my bois in Lindsay Thomas and Duursma like this

Koch has said he isnt aware of the crows getting member control in 2028 for 3 ****ing years if this is true

Ah yeah, you were sitting on the other side of the room from me.

I was like "thank f**k, an interesting question", especially after those two old bats before you
The guy teeing off over the Voice referendum was 2 seats from me, when he stood up I thought he was going to be a 'Sack Hinkley' guy and say the stuff the woman at the end did, but nope.

Based on other post-COVID results and the pace at which the debt was previously being paid off, I estimated we were ~$2,500,000 in the red atm (so $3,000,000 to the bank would make sense especially if at the mercy of variable rates).
Koch seemed to indicate that there was no desire to pay it off so they could have access to draw down if they needed to.

Someone else who went there may be able to confirm.

Sorry to interrupt, but I could be wrong in believing that Koch answered the same way last year about the Crows board question.

Koch has said he isnt aware of the crows getting member control in 2028 for 3 ******* years if this is true

At least two years in a row.

REH stood up one or two people after I did and said that he was the one who raised it last year, so it publicly validated my comment almost immediately.

The guy teeing off over the Voice referendum was 2 seats from me, when he stood up I thought he was going to be a 'Sack Hinkley' guy and say the stuff the woman at the end did, but nope.
My eyes could only roll so far back into my head.

The referendum is done, it's finished, democracy has prevailed, move on.

But no, this old fart wanted to give his dog whistle racism two cents

Is that as of now, or projected at the end of the season?

I’d be shouting that from the rooftops if it’s now.
zero now and $3.8m to banks. Expect to pay that off in next 2 or 3 years.

Last edited:
Richo takes over: "There's a whole lot of things you have to do to in order to give yourself a chance to win a premiership. There's not one thing you can do that's going to guarantee that you're going to win a premiership.
Well then Einstein, don't promise 3 in 5 years and get bent out of shape when members express their frustration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least two years in a row.

REH stood up one or two people after I did and said that he was the one who raised it last year, so it publicly validated my comment almost immediately.
Tonight he said
Last year above
Two years ago it was online and he said it in response to rhe question that i had personally sent in

It’s good news but greatly diminished when not coupled with any plan for member control of the board. If the AFL own the club in perpetuity they should be financially invested.

The impression I have of Koch is that he acts as an Administrator on behalf of the AFL to manage the club for the best interests of the AFL rather than the club itself.

What I wonder is at what point do we stop being "Under Administration" and can stand on our own two feet again?

The Crows are obviously moving towards doing this in 2028.
We currently owe neither the AFL nor the SANFL.

What are the conditions for coming out of Administration?
$60+M revenue, a debt of only $3Mish, a strong net asset position.

If you had a salary of 600k per year, owned a home worth 600k, and had a mortgage of only 30k, wouldn't you feel like you were in a pretty solid position financially?

How do we push the Administrators to the side and focus on ruthlessly existing to win premierships again?
Does a focus on winning premierships threaten our financial position?

I continue to have absolutely no faith in the current senior coach being able to lead this club to a premiership, and hence my lack of engagement. I wish I felt differently, but I have no evidence that makes me feel like it is possible. Having a Top 4 list and an outside the 8 Senior Coach appears very unlikely to achieve the results we desire. I hope the new board appointment is tasked with determining what is preventing this club from winning premierships, where is the weak link in the chain, the one that breaks every September. I feel like we used to know how to win them, back when we stood on our own two feet.

Last edited:
Both Davies and Ken specifically blamed last years s**t show on the defence being undermanned/undersized.

No mention of the disappearing midfield or peanut brittle fragility of the entire side when the wick got lit.
Would love to see just one follow up question asking "and what did you do about it during the season?"

Do you think it makes sense if undermanned and undersized to send our one tall KPF back on the ground with a concussion, to trial nobody down back all year when we had excess height in other parts of the ground and could easily have given Dix/Fin/Todd a go, to consider no change in tactics to cover this deficiency?

Would love to see just one follow up question asking "and what did you do about it during the season?"

Do you think it makes sense if undermanned and undersized to send our one tall KPF back on the ground with a concussion, to trial nobody down back all year when we had excess height in other parts of the ground and could easily have given Dix/Fin/Todd a go, to consider no change in tactics to cover this deficiency?
And also name a single key defender you’ve developed in 11 years.

A mostly developed Todd Marshall and a season of Lobbe breaking even in the ruck are the only key position prospects to come from Ken’s tenure.

The member raising the question about the POW not serving meals was unfortunately not articulated with depth. However it is a club assest and the last that I knew about it was that it had a massive debt. So how does it fit in with the club's current debt being less than 4M? Is the POW debt serviced separately? It hasn't been serving meals since the pandemic began which could be a concern, but the club has previously stated that the bistros of both the Port Club and the POW just break even, so they're probably not worried about it. All I know is that the tiny front bar has been open but unsure about the pokies. I hardly see advertisements for the place. Prior to the pandemic the club would make a point of the financials and the massive debt on the POW.

Be very keen to really get the ball rolling on transitioning to a member elected board again down the track, perhaps Tredrea can be a catalyst for this? (Granted he'll have enough on his plate) As Koch is clearly playing dumb every year to avoid it.

To the posters here that have asked the question direct, thankyou.

I see no real reason why this can't be the next big step, vital we get control of the club back.

On a similar note, Snowden is up next year, and at this point I've seen no reason from him to suggest he should go round again, personally I'd like to see someone like Fiacchi back on along with Tredders, his article recently taking aim at Koch running two legends against each other dividing the fan base was spot on, plus his work on the merger etc, realise he's a previous director but I'd like him to run again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The member raising the question about the POW not serving meals was unfortunately not articulated with depth.
Because the question didn’t have any depth.

She was more concerned with a lack of local salad bars than it being a financial boat anchor. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff 2023 AGM - held on Friday 9th Feb 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back