Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Sicily played in a backline that conceded 1991 points, Stewart 1488. The ball practically lived in the Hawthorn backline. You can give me metres gained, kicks, handballs, intercepts etc until the cows come home, the simple fact is Hawthorn were really bad and he's got twice the amount of opportunity to get his hands on the pill than players in competent teams playing for flags like Geelong were. Tom Stewart wasn't just the best defender🤣, he was the best player in the best team who won 16 games straight en route to a premiership. Hawthorn supporters of 2022 weren't the first and won't be the last time a poor team squeals that they've got amazing defenders putting up amazing numbers while denying reality.

TLDR Tom Stewart in 2022 was better than his peers, he was better than Maynard, better than Saad, better than Sinclair, better than Sicily.
1691375739476.png

So despite Sicily taking the best forward and playing in a side flooded by entries, Stewart only just won the % 1v1's despite also not taking the most dangerous forward and you want to claim him as the better defender?

I know I'm a Hawthorn supporter spruiking my own but I think any AA team without James Sicily is now incorrect. My case...

Amongst key defenders, Sicily's rank (by averages):

#1 for kicks
#1 for handballs
#1 for disposals
#1 for marks
#1 for metres gained
#1 for ground ball gets
#1 for score involvements
#1 for goal assists
#2 for intercepts (#1 missed 8 games)
#2 for contested possessions (#1 missed 8 games)
#1 in every statistical system (Supercoach, Dream team, Champion Data, AFL rankings, etc)

Those numbers are ridiculous. He is playing key defence in an under siege team, barely losing a contest (14% CDL% which is elite), using the ball incredibly well and averaging 27 disposals going the other way. He is the #1 ball winner at our club and is getting more of it as a key defender than the mids at most clubs. Some of the above stats for which he is #1, he is more than double the next best in the competition.

However, the real measure is not the 'stats' but his influence. Since Round 10:

Hawthorn with James Sicily: 5 wins, 2 losses (win rate 71%), with a percentage of 137% (including wins against Collingwood, Brisbane, St Kilda, etc).
Hawthorn without James Sicily: 0 wins, 4 losses (win rate 0%), with a percentage of 58%.

Not only is the very significant change to the team noticable but Sicily has been best on ground in nearly all of those wins, averaging 32 disposals playing as a key defender!

I don’t think you need to present an argument mate. The guy is a star. Was a pleasure watching him go about his work on the weekend.

I rarely say this about Hawks players but I hope for his sake that before he retires - you’d think he will be at least 30 before they are a genuine title contender - he gets a shot at some team success because he’s been awesome in a generally average side for ages

He had a handful of shockers along with the rest of his team during their losing streak. Has also missed 2 games which might cost him. In his half back role he’s behind the likes of Houston, Sinclair, Tom Stewart and Nick Daicos - then there’s Taylor, Moore, Sicily, Andrews …. Definite squad member but can’t see him making the 22.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No he did not have shockers. You're assuming he had shockers because you're not looking out for him. Weitering had shockers and that's why I am not throwing his name yet (keep up what he's produced for the next 3 weeks and I will), however there's been two constants for Carlton all year that they have been Cerra and Newman.

Ok clearly didn’t affect you. Tom Stewart actually defends and spoils as well as rebounds though so maybe he has slightly less possesions but I’m taking Stewart every day of the week.

Last year was an amazing year by Stewart he was the general of a premiership side and organised our whole defence and set up our style of play.

I said I would leave it and I'm not because I missed this post (and I can't resist given the alternative is reviewing contracts - yuck!).

The bit highlighted above is part of the problem. Tom Stewart "actually defends". Umm, Sicily played CHB on some of the best key forwards in the comp last year whilst Stewart mostly played loose.

Stewart partcipated in 25 one on one contests for the entire season last year. That is less than one third of what Sicily did (89). Stewart also lost those few contests he particpated in more regularly that what Sicily did (despite Sicily taking the better forward and the entries coming in with less pressure).

"Stewart spoils" Stewart had 73 spoils in 2022, whilst Sicily had 146. Stewart spoils half as much as what Sicily does is what you should have said.

"as well as rebounds" Umm, Sicily had more rebounds than anyone in the competition in 2022. More than 50 more than Stewart (who was still 11th). That's how far in front Sicily was.

That's not counting the fact that Sicily was also #1 for marks in the comp by a mile, #2 for intercepts (as important, if not moreso than spoils), #1 for metres gained and #1 for Coaches votes amongst defenders and basically everything else.

The idea that Stewart actually defends more than Sicily is nonsense.

As for the team thing - no argument Geelong were good but as I've said in my other posts, not sure why so many inferences that Stewart was the reason Geelong were so dominant. Firstly, no single player has that level of influence in our game. Secondly, Stewart missed effectively 30% of the season and Geelong were UNDEFEATED when Stewart was NOT playing. Thirdly, he finished 9th in the Geelong B&F. He wasn't even in the top 2 defenders! Hell, Geelong won the flag in a canter and I don't think Stewart got any Gary Ayers or Norm Smith votes? In short, Geelong win even if Stewart isn't there at all so team performance (which should never be a factor for AA anyway) should hardly trump all objective individual comparison.

I said I would leave it and I'm not because I missed this post (and I can't resist given the alternative is reviewing contracts - yuck!).

The bit highlighted above is part of the problem. Tom Stewart "actually defends". Umm, Sicily played CHB on some of the best key forwards in the comp last year whilst Stewart mostly played loose.

Stewart partcipated in 25 one on one contests for the entire season last year. That is less than one third of what Sicily did (89). Stewart also lost those few contests he particpated in more regularly that what Sicily did (despite Sicily taking the better forward and the entries coming in with less pressure).

"Stewart spoils" Stewart had 73 spoils in 2022, whilst Sicily had 146. Stewart spoils half as much as what Sicily does is what you should have said.

"as well as rebounds" Umm, Sicily had more rebounds than anyone in the competition in 2022. More than 50 more than Stewart (who was still 11th). That's how far in front Sicily was.

That's not counting the fact that Sicily was also #1 for marks in the comp by a mile, #2 for intercepts (as important, if not moreso than spoils), #1 for metres gained and #1 for Coaches votes amongst defenders and basically everything else.

The idea that Stewart actually defends more than Sicily is nonsense.

As for the team thing - no argument Geelong were good but as I've said in my other posts, not sure why so many inferences that Stewart was the reason Geelong were so dominant. Firstly, no single player has that level of influence in our game. Secondly, Stewart missed effectively 30% of the season and Geelong were UNDEFEATED when Stewart was NOT playing. Thirdly, he finished 9th in the Geelong B&F. He wasn't even in the top 2 defenders! Hell, Geelong won the flag in a canter and I don't think Stewart got any Gary Ayers or Norm Smith votes? In short, Geelong win even if Stewart isn't there at all so team performance (which should never be a factor for AA anyway) should hardly trump all objective individual comparison.
Mic drop

Sicily has to be one of the unluckiest blokes in the AFL.

On track for an AA berth in 2018 - broke his wrist in round 17.
Made the AA squad in 2019.
2020 was in great form before doing his ACL.
2021 - Did not play
2022 - Snubbed by the AA despite being the best 3rd tall in the comp and his only competitor missing a month of footy gets picked ahead of him.
2023 - Misses 3 weeks to the most bullshit suspension in recent years.

Plus he's a ranga.

I'm hoping Sicily doesn't make again this year. Having the best player in the AFL not making AA yet again would resign this award to the scrapheap like the Brownlow.

Also must remember that not only did Stewart miss quite a few games, he was tagged out of a couple, subbed off one as well. I actually don't think there is a single argument where Stewart was in last year over Sicily. I seriously mean it when I say it's the worse selection I can remember.
Saad over Sicily from the same season was worse. Comparing him and Stewart's averages:

Disposals: Stewart
Effective disposals: Stewart
Disposal efficiency: Stewart
Rebound 50's: Stewart
Inside 50's: Saad
Contested possessions: Saad
Uncontested possessions: Stewart
Intercept possessions: Stewart
Marks: Stewart
Contested marks: Stewart
Intercept marks: Stewart
Score involvements: Stewart
Score launches: Stewart
Spoils: Stewart

Final tally: Stewart 12, Saad 2.

Adelaide: Dawson, Laird, Walker
Brisbane: Andrews, Cameron, Daniher, Dunkley, Neale
Carlton: Curnow, Newman, Weitering
Collingwood: Daicos, Daicos, Moore
Essendon: Langford, Merrett
Fremantle: Serong
Geelong: Cameron, Hawkins, Miers, Stewart
Gold Coast: Ballard, Rowell
GWS: Coniglio, Greene, Taylor
Hawthorn: Breust, Sicily
Melbourne: Gawn, Petracca
North Melbourne:
Port Adelaide: Aliir, Butters, Finalyson, Houston, Rozee
Richmond: Bolton, Taranto
St Kilda: Marshall, Sinclair, Wilkie
Sydney: Gulden
West Coast:
Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli, English, Liberatore

Squad with 23 bolded being the team (including substitute)

I know he isn't talked about much and he won't make the team but according to Champion Data Blakey is the 9th best player in the competition this season.

Saad over Sicily from the same season was worse. Comparing him and Stewart's averages:

Disposals: Stewart
Effective disposals: Stewart
Disposal efficiency: Stewart
Rebound 50's: Stewart
Inside 50's: Saad
Contested possessions: Saad
Uncontested possessions: Stewart
Intercept possessions: Stewart
Marks: Stewart
Contested marks: Stewart
Intercept marks: Stewart
Score involvements: Stewart
Score launches: Stewart
Spoils: Stewart

Final tally: Stewart 12, Saad 2.
Should we also compare Charlie Curnow to Saad?

Seriously? You'd have to be incredibly daft to make that comparison..
He's only half way to 8, anything can happen especially getting older, he could get injured etc etc. If he had 6 or 7 then sure ask the question if 8 is possible, but with 4 its waaaaayyyyyyy too early. Is he a great player, absolutely but talk of 8 is premature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily has to be one of the unluckiest blokes in the AFL.

On track for an AA berth in 2018 - broke his wrist in round 17.
Made the AA squad in 2019.
2020 was in great form before doing his ACL.
2021 - Did not play
2022 - Snubbed by the AA despite being the best 3rd tall in the comp and his only competitor missing a month of footy gets picked ahead of him.
2023 - Misses 3 weeks to the most bullshit suspension in recent years.

Plus he's a ranga.
What? No, he's not. He's the Blonde Prince.

What? No, he's not. He's the Blonde Prince.
2014DPS_0025.jpg

JamesSicily.jpg

He's the Blonde Prince of Glenferrie now but once upon a time he was the Red Baron of Keilor.

Also must remember that not only did Stewart miss quite a few games, he was tagged out of a couple, subbed off one as well. I actually don't think there is a single argument where Stewart was in last year over Sicily. I seriously mean it when I say it's the worse selection I can remember.

You must have an odd memory. Stewart was the best player all year for the premiership side.

Been plenty worse selections.

You must have an odd memory. Stewart was the best player all year for the premiership side.

Didn't even win the B&F.

Gibson was a 2x B&F winner in Premiership years but didn't have the luxury to be named a 2x AA.

Some clubs just get it easier with individual awards. No shame in that.

Was he actually called that? Because he looks Blonde in both of those photos to me!

You're just a victim of Strawberry Blonde propaganda. It's what Big Hair want you to believe.

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

Nope. Premiership has literally zero weight on AA. Even team success shouldn't, it's an individuals award. Stewart missed a lot of games, didn't play well in a few. There's not a single metric that validates him in the team over Sicily.

Luke Jackson has 49 coaches votes. Gawn 42 and English 35. I have a sizeable bet he'll make an All-Australian team before the end of his career. Get him in this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back