Prediction 2023 - Best 22 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ed Curnow will play a role in the side this year as the Sub if the AFL go ahead with a sub again. He's ideal for the role, he's a natural athlete so he won't lose fitness if he misses a few weeks by playing as sub. He can play on the ball and wing but could also pinch hit in defence and he's a capable forward so he can come on and replace most players. Saves us playing a young player as sub and having them miss games which isn't a good thing.

If there is 5 on the bench then it's going to be TDK and Pittonet in the team 100%. I wish the AFL clarified this before teams put their list together as a 5 player bench means teams will be wanting to carry an extra ruckman. The AFL should also give teams another list spot. If they make a surprise rule change with 5 on the bench then this is really unprofessional from the AFL.

Thinking about the team going forward, there are going to be some quality defenders missing out. I wonder if any will be pushing up into other positions. It must be tempting to have Docherty as part of the on ball group or Williams to a wing. I've picked some teams and they don't have Boyd or Newman in them which is tough as both are really good players, I can see them wanting Boyd in the side, I want him in the side but it's hard with a fully fit list.

Midfield I think will be the same as well, bursting with quality players, especially if you add Docherty into the mix as he was at the end of last season. Even with Setterfield going out I can see Dow pushing just a little harder again next year and I think it's going to be really hard to keep Carroll out of the side. IMO I see Carroll as the bolter for next season.

It will be good to see some roles settled, thinking of the forward line I think we are at our strongest when Silvagni is not rucking and is playing as the 4th tall, using his smarts, being taller and stronger in the air than his opponent and being able to put 100% of his energy into forward play, he's a leading forward who can exploit a smaller defender in the air, unfortunately he has had to play too much as the third tall forward and part time ruck which takes away his strengths as a forward. I think it's important that we really lock down our third tall forward position with someone like TDK. We need the third tall forward to take a big defender and we need them to contribute. If TDK can step up in this role it will have a major influence on the other forwards, you will see other forwards like Silvagni, Martin Owies etc who like to lead and mark do a lot better, it takes the taller players out of the space and away from manning these guys up which frees up their lead/mark game.

Our wings are a tricky one, Acres has one but the other wing is an unknow, especially if we play the three wingmen. O'Brien has to be the front runner but I could easily see us moving a Docherty, Williams or even Walsh to the other wing. Carroll is a strong chance there as well though he seems to be developing as an inside midfielder. Then you have Cuningham and Cottrell who will put a case forward for a spot on the wing.

I think we play a tall but two way running backline. I'm really excited at the idea of McGovern, Weitering, Marchbank and Young all having a good preseason and manning our defence. They may take some time to come on but that's a really strong intercepting defence. It's just made for a pressure around the ball game plan. Having two third talls who can really run is going to give us a huge advantage.

The more I think about our list and what it's capable of the more I can't wait for next season, it's a good enough to be a premiership contender. The top end you have two Colman medallists, Brownlow medallists, Rising star and genuine A grader in Walsh, Weitering who was the best tall defender in the game last year before injury, multiple AA's and the rest are genuine quality a midfield full of players capable of 30+ possession games, elite running defenders and one of the best wingmen in the league. I think this year was a big stuff up, but we can get things right and go into next year very very strong.
Good post

Where do you see Kemp and maybe Philp fitting in?

Very exciting to see our crop of young players - we need a few to step up and take best 22 spots

Boyd, Kemp, Carroll, Durdin, Motlop & Honey

B- Docherty Weitering Saad
HB- Williams Young McGovern
C- Cerra Cripps Acres
HF- C.Durdin Curnow Silvagni
F- Owies McKay Motlop
FOLL- De Koning Hewett Walsh
I/C- Kennedy, Fisher, Marchbank, Martin,
O’Brien
Emerg- Cunningham, Dow, Pittonet, Newman, Kemp, Cottrell, Carroll

Now Draft is finished for us, this would be my current best 22...

FBBoydWeiteringMcGovern
HBWilliams Young Saad
CAcresCrippsWalsh
FOLPittonetDocherty Hewett
HFFisher McKayDurdin
FFMotlopDe Koning Curnow
BenchKennedy (Fwd/Mid)Cerra Marchbank
Hollands
EmergencyLOBMartinCuningham
Silvagni

Hollands - Hollands/LOB/Cottrell whoever shows the most in pre season...
Docherty - Trial as a full time midfielder...
Kennedy - Needs to play Forward/Midfield... Docherty takes his spot, IMO Doc a better player...

VFL Team

Geez look at our depth, best it's ever been... Recon this team would beat our Senior team of the mid-late 2000s

FBPlowmanDurdin
HBCowanAkueiNewman
CLOBDowBinns
FOLMirkovCarrollCuningham
HFCottrellSilvagniMartin
FFOwiesLemmeyKemp
BenchFogartyCurnowPhilp

Very early to nail this down without having a trade or draft period, but we can focus on the players we have on our list to start building a consensus

Boyd Wetering Williams
Marchbank Durdin Saad

TDK Hewett Doc
Cottrell Cripps Walsh

Gov Young C Curnow
Mots Harry Durdin

Int: Newman Kennedy Cerra Martin

Emg: Kemp Carroll Fisher Jsos

Update

Boyd Weitering Gov
Williams Young Saad

TDK Hewett Walsh
Doc Cripps Acres

Charlie Lemmey Martin
Mots Harry Fisher

Int: Newman Kennedy Cerra Durdin

Sub: Cotts

Emg: Hollands Cuners Marchbank Pitto

Stiff: Many

Charlie as the 3rd tall, given his agility/movement, makes a lot of sense.

4th tall = JSOS or Martin? Tough one, very different players....

Mots, Durdin and Fisher about right (Owies stiff on exposed form).

This is the team I expect to be named for named for Round 1:

B:15. Docherty23. Weitering33. Young
HB:6. Williams11. McGovern42. Saad
C:13. Acres5. Cerra32. Hollands
HF:21. Martin10. McKay18. Walsh
F:19. C. Durdin30. Curnow3. Motlop
R:27. Pittonet9. Cripps29. Hewett
INT:7. Kennedy46. Cottrell24. Newman
25. Fisher
EMG:37. Boyd12. De Koning4. O'Brien
22. Marchbank

Update

Boyd Weitering Gov
Williams Young Saad

TDK Hewett Walsh
Doc Cripps Acres

Charlie Lemmey Martin
Mots Harry Fisher

Arr0w, you have a far better knowledge of both the game and the draftees than me. And I always admire your optimism.

But I must admit that I have a hard time believing that a guy who was probably taken as about the 6th-10th best tall in the draft (in a draft that wasn’t noted for its key position strength) is going to come in and be in our best 22 as centre half forward next year.

Update

Boyd Weitering Gov
Williams Young Saad

TDK Hewett Walsh
Doc Cripps Acres

Charlie Lemmey Martin
Mots Harry Fisher

Lemmey best 22, going the early crow!?

So many premium talls take years to build into it, if this is how we are shaping up round 1 then look out competition

Arr0w, you have a far better knowledge of both the game and the draftees than me. And I always admire your optimism.

But I must admit that I have a hard time believing that a guy who was probably taken as about the 6th-10th best tall in the draft (in a draft that wasn’t noted for its key position strength) is going to come in and be in our best 22 as centre half forward next year.

Lacks nothing in ability and talent, and in time, could be the best KPP in this draft

Players don't normally slide due to questioning that talent, moreso other factors and he has had his fair share during this year.

Won't play early, but by the end of the year, could cement himself in the 22

Lacks nothing in ability and talent, and in time, could be the best KPP in this draft

Players don't normally slide due to questioning that talent, moreso other factors and he has had his fair share during this year.

Won't play early, but by the end of the year, could cement himself in the 22
Thanks Arr0w,

And I know you won’t tell me what they are (and the WC recruiter guy people were posting around here also alluded to them), but is there every reason to believe he can put the off field issues behind him?

Boyd Young McGovern
Docherty Weitering Saad
Walsh Cripps Acres
Martin McKay Durdin
Motlop Curnow Kemp

Pittonet Hewett Cerra

TDK Kennedy Fisher Williams

SUB : Cuningham

Plowman Durdin Newman
Cowan Marchbank Cottrell
Hollands Carroll O’Brien
Honey Silvagni Philp
Owies Lemmey Binns

Mirkov Curnow Dow

Fogarty Akuei

That’s 43 players
Is that our final list now ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saad, Zac W, Young, Mini McGov, Doch and Weiters the back six. Boyd and Cunners two wingers. TDK and Pitto the two rucks. Crippa,Walsh and Cerra the prime onballers. Charlie and Harry the two main key forwards. Jack S and Jack M the two medium forwards. Durdin and Motlop the two small forwards. Kennedy ,Hewitt and Marchbank the three others on bench for midfield and backline. Kemp the nominated sub.

Post draft version...

This is pretty hard, my best 22:

Saad Weitering Boyd
McGovern Young Williams
Acres Cerra Docherty
Cuningham Curnow Fisher
Martin McKay Motlop

TDK Cripps Walsh

Hewett Hollands Kemp Marchbank

Contentions were:
  • Pitto vs TDK - I'm going with TDK. Young can help with rucking
  • Durdin vs Cuningham - I prefer Cunner's dash
  • Kemp vs Newman - I just prefer Kemp for his versatility and potential
  • Hollands vs JSOS vs Kennedy - Hollands for additional run
The emergencies are these 4 then

Apart from Hollands, our rookies this year can have time to adjust, as we have: Dow, Carroll, Philp and Honey ahead of these rookies

Last edited:
Saad, Zac W, Young, Mini McGov, Doch and Weiters the back six. Boyd and Cunners two wingers. TDK and Pitto the two rucks. Crippa,Walsh and Cerra the prime onballers. Charlie and Harry the two main key forwards. Jack S and Jack M the two medium forwards. Durdin and Motlop the two small forwards. Kennedy ,Hewitt and Marchbank the three others on bench for midfield and backline. Kemp the nominated sub.
FFS, I forgot Fisher. He on bench instead of Marchy.

Post draft version...

This is pretty hard, my best 22:

Saad Weitering Boyd
McGovern Young Williams
Acres Cerra Docherty
Cuningham Curnow Fisher
Martin McKay Motlop

TDK Cripps Walsh

Hewett Hollands Kemp Marchbank

Contentions were:
  • Pitto vs TDK - I'm going with TDK. Young can help with rucking
  • Durdin vs Cuningham - I prefer Cunner's dash
  • Kemp vs Newman - I just prefer Kemp for his versatility and potential
  • Hollands vs JSOS vs Kennedy - Hollands for additional run
The emergencies are these 4 then
Apart from Hollands, our rookies this year can have time to adjust, as we have: Dow, Setters, Carroll, Philp and Honey ahead of these rookies

Not sure about this one??

AFL

FB:
Williams - Weitering - McGovern
HB: Docherty - Young - Saad

C: Acres - Cripps (c) - Walsh
OB: Pittonet - Hewett - Cerra

HF: Martin - Curnow - Fisher
FF: Durdin - McKay - Silvagni

Interchange
Newman (D), O'Brien (W), Kennedy (OB) and Kemp (U)

VFL

FB
: Plowman - Durdin - Boyd
HB: Hollands - Marchbank - Cowan

C: Cottrell - Dow - Binns
OB: De Koning - Curnow - Carroll

HF: Honey - Akuei - Cuningham
FF: Motlop - Lemmey - Owies

Interchange
Fogarty, Mirkov and Philp

With the new tactical sub coming into place how would we perform with playing one ruck for the first half and then bringing in the other one as the sub at the main break. Could be a handy tactical advantage.

Round 1 team

FB: McGovern, Weitering, Williams
HB: Doc, Young, Saad
C: Acres, Walsh, Cotters
HF: Fisher, C.Curnow, SOS
FF: Durdin, Mckay, Motlop

Foll: Pittonet, Cripps, Hewett

Int: Cerra, TDK, Kennedy, Newman
Sub: Marchbank

Emergency: Martin, Owies , LOB , Plowman

Unlucky to miss: Dow, Kemp, Honey,Cunningham (not sure he'll be right for round 1).

With the new tactical sub coming into place how would we perform with playing one ruck for the first half and then bringing in the other one as the sub at the main break. Could be a handy tactical advantage.
…And a equally a disadvantage if a smaller running player went down so we needed to make the substitution then all of a sudden we’ve got a ruck and four talls up forward

Update

Boyd Weitering Gov
Williams Young Saad

TDK Hewett Walsh
Doc Cripps Acres

Charlie Lemmey Martin
Mots Harry Fisher

I find it very hard to believe Lemmey will be best 22, let alone start at CHF. And bumping Jack S at that.

Interesting that a lot of people seem to think the drafting of endurance types is some kind of knock on Cottrell.

Reckon he plays almost every week, Voss wants MORE blokes who can tirelessly cover the ground and this guy does it better than almost anybody else in the comp. They will find a role for him. He is growing into his game very well IMO, similar trajectory to Armfield who had a lot of knockers early days but ended up carving out a very serviceable career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2023 - Best 22 + Emergencies - Rolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back