Analysis 2023 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been watching our games again. If we ever actually play 4 quarters without going into stasis for for at least 1 quarter during a game we are going to blow sides away. Many of the dead periods or periods other sides got momentum were our own fault through lack of concentration. Hence we gave the ball away.

Made very basic mistakes like trying to kick off ground instead of picking up. Kicked the ball out of defence without looking even though we had time. Overcooked forward entries or just popped the ball up. Went missing in thr middle, mids started getting flogged. Kicked the ball OOF several times in a quarter. Tried doing fancy stuff instead of doing the basics well. Started to try Hero stuff instead of using teammates. In other words being selfish. Gave away really silly free kicks in these periods too.

If we get rid of that shite and play footy just like we do in the good quarters we are going to really annihilate some teams this season. If we can play consistent footy we will not only worry the good sides we will cause them huge grief. But we need to concentrate for 120 minutes.
I agree with that general observation.
Did you notice any players in particular who were subject to these "brain farts" or simple losses in concentration?
We're a very fit bunch so it shouldn't be fatigue unless we're getting our rotations wrong. Perhaps our leadership isn't as good as we think it is.

Ugh. Really? Who give a *?
As the Greek philosopher Delta Goodremus said, not me not I.

But I think Fantasy/Supercoach points are often included in data about heat maps/CBAs etc, because there's often a correlation between someone's position/role and the points they score.

I have been watching our games again. If we ever actually play 4 quarters without going into stasis for for at least 1 quarter during a game we are going to blow sides away. Many of the dead periods or periods other sides got momentum were our own fault through lack of concentration. Hence we gave the ball away.

Made very basic mistakes like trying to kick off ground instead of picking up. Kicked the ball out of defence without looking even though we had time. Overcooked forward entries or just popped the ball up. Went missing in thr middle, mids started getting flogged. Kicked the ball OOF several times in a quarter. Tried doing fancy stuff instead of doing the basics well. Started to try Hero stuff instead of using teammates. In other words being selfish. Gave away really silly free kicks in these periods too.

If we get rid of that shite and play footy just like we do in the good quarters we are going to really annihilate some teams this season. If we can play consistent footy we will not only worry the good sides we will cause them huge grief. But we need to concentrate for 120 minutes.
In every game for every team there are swings and roundabouts, momentum shifts etc..
What the team needs to learn is when to speed the game up and when to slow it down.. ie.. take advantage when the ball bounces your way, reduce the impact when it doesn't.
I saw a massive improvement in that last year, to the point where I think the Swans were one of the best teams doing it. Horse commented on it a few times.. The decisions were made on the field by the the players/leaders, not in the coaching box.

If neither Amartey nor McLean can establish himself at full forward, could Heeney move there and Campbell come onto his flank? Obviously, Heeney is not tall but as a leading, markin, agile full forward, perhaps that’s an imperfect best option.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Heeney is a full forward. He can mark just as high. The benefit is that he is also more mobile. He also poses a threat to the smalls because he is bigger. He is a mismatch and a conundrum to most defense's. The perfect forward.

Heeney is a full forward. He can mark just as high. The benefit is that he is also more mobile. He also poses a threat to the smalls because he is bigger. He is a mismatch and a conundrum to most defense's. The perfect forward.
The days of fixed positions as they are drawn on the paper are long gone. Key forwards move up to the wings to take marks to transition out of defence. Half the time Papley is the player closest to goal, and often Hayward too. Heeney drags a marker through the midfield, across the half forward line and into the pocket, leaving him exhausted and useless. Then takes the mark at full forward.

I agree that he's the perfect forward, but we don't need perfect forwards. We need the perfect forward line. The whole needs to be greater than the sum of its parts, and I just don't think that would be the case if Heeney was our full forward.

I agree with that general observation.
Did you notice any players in particular who were subject to these "brain farts" or simple losses in concentration?
We're a very fit bunch so it shouldn't be fatigue unless we're getting our rotations wrong. Perhaps our leadership isn't as good as we think it is.
I noticed players slow down the play and then give the ball up. Players who usually use very well like Blakey, Lloyd, Gulden, Fox, Parker, Rampe, Buddy, Warner, Rowbottom. Almost the whole team started bombing and kicking over their team mate's heads or just kicking to opponents. They got sloppy. It was as though the electrical switch to the brain and the coordination between brain and body were switched off.

This lasted about a quarter, sometimes more, but then the lights came on again and suddenly superb footy reigned. Astounding. What is it that causes this. When I was a junior in Broken Hill our team never won a Half Time premiership. But we won every 4 quarter and Lightening Carnival Premiership from the time I was 7 until turning 12. We were able to keep the good style of play happening for longer periods but we're not great at the half time game where you knew you had two 10 minute halves.

I wonder if mental blocks come into play in our boys and the loss of concentration is due to a mental hurdle. I know it was for us. None of us liked playing the short version of the game. There were no warm ups and we were under constant pressure to score quickly. It was also more of a melee. We liked to open up the play and move the ball quickly. In the shorter version there were far more ball ups. We kicked over 20 goals in the Grand Final of the Under 12's full game version. Two of the boys I played with were a pair of super rucks called Staker.

What I'm getting at in my rave is that preconceived notions about panic and forward defensive pressure by opponents cause problems. The least of which is not indiscriminate kicking out of defence in panic. In many cases of the player lowered the eyes, thought quickly enough the solution was there. The other thing is that if we have preconceived ideas about our youth leading to drops in concentration because all the experts say so, then that is exactly what is going to happen.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A healthy Heeney is an A-grade medium forward, key forward or midfielder.

Heeney with a bung ankle is a low-possession occasional impact player.

Our prospects are heavily dependent on that ankle.

I agree that he's the perfect forward, but we don't need perfect forwards. We need the perfect forward line. The whole needs to be greater than the sum of its parts, and I just don't think that would be the case if Heeney was our full forward.
I did not mean Heeney was a full forward. What I meant was that he is a full forward and a medium forward and a small forward and a midfielder. He just mismatches those that mark him. That was my point.

So can a forward line of Buddy / McLean / McDonald work with Hickey rucking solo? Or do we dare try Ladhams over McLean?

Ladhams over McLean. We've hardly seen the Ladhams/Hickey tandem. I want to know how that tandem impacts the team.

We know what we're getting the McLean, albeit gives great effort but is hampered by his poor athleticism which is further exposed with Buddy in the forward line who has a similar issue.

I also think Ladhams has a lot more potential than McLean.

The Huns Best 23:

B Fox, Tom McCartin, Rampe
HB Paddy McCartin, Blakey, Lloyd
C McInerney, Mills, Stephens
HF Heeney, McDonald, Hayward
F Papley, Franklin, Gulden
Foll Hickey, Warner, Parker
Int Florent, Rowbottom, Reid, Clarke
SUB McLean
Not a mile off it assuming all are fit. Probably not McLean as the sub though, more likely Cambell or possibly Sheldrick.

I see captaincy decisions are starting to hit the news and immediately wonder when ours will appear and what they will be.
I can't see any reason that Parker or Mills would lose their captaincies but it might be time for Rampe to pass the baton to allow him to concentrate more on his own game and leading just the defence.
I can't see a need to replace Rampe nor an obvious candidate to do so who would have the level of respect.
I expect we should see some change in the leadership group. JPK will be gone of course but Rampe, Papley, Cunningham and Franklin remain. I would be surprised if Gulden wasn't added to the group and maybe one other, possibly Tom McCartin?
It will be interesting!

I see captaincy decisions are starting to hit the news and immediately wonder when ours will appear and what they will be.
I can't see any reason that Parker or Mills would lose their captaincies but it might be time for Rampe to pass the baton to allow him to concentrate more on his own game and leading just the defence.
I can't see a need to replace Rampe nor an obvious candidate to do so who would have the level of respect.
I expect we should see some change in the leadership group. JPK will be gone of course but Rampe, Papley, Cunningham and Franklin remain. I would be surprised if Gulden wasn't added to the group and maybe one other, possibly Tom McCartin?
It will be interesting!
Good questions.

My guess is that we will stick with the same three captains for this year but agree that there will be some movement in the leadership group to enable space for potential captain changes in 2024.

Who might come out of the leadership group is an interesting question. I reckon the prime candidates would be Cunningham and Buddy, but not sure either would take it too well.

Maybe it is Cunningham out and Gulden in?

Good questions.

My guess is that we will stick with the same three captains for this year but agree that there will be some movement in the leadership group to enable space for potential captain changes in 2024.

Who might come out of the leadership group is an interesting question. I reckon the prime candidates would be Cunningham and Buddy, but not sure either would take it too well.

Maybe it is Cunningham out and Gulden in?
If the numbers are unchanged there needs to be one in to replace JPK. Gulden would be my choice but I don't know how the coaches and playing group would see it. If Heeney hasn't been added so far I'm guessing never. Ditto Hayward.
Ollie Florent might be a smokie though. He's quiet but intense.
Be surprised if they drop Buddy out or Paps. Harry I don't know. I reckon he's a good mentor type and only just outside best 22/23.
Foxy has great on field leadership qualities but I think maybe it's passed by.

If the numbers are unchanged there needs to be one in to replace JPK. Gulden would be my choice but I don't know how the coaches and playing group would see it. If Heeney hasn't been added so far I'm guessing never. Ditto Hayward.
Ollie Florent might be a smokie though. He's quiet but intense.
Be surprised if they drop Buddy out or Paps. Harry I don't know. I reckon he's a good mentor type and only just outside best 22/23.
Foxy has great on field leadership qualities but I think maybe it's passed by.
I reckon leave it for a year. Gulden my first choice for an in. It is indeed a young side. The mids are very young. But good. Gulden is already a leader. There were times in matches when he was telling older players what to do what is going on. He knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back