Analysis 2023 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid is yet to make top 10 in the BnF.

Playing him in the GF was a disgrace. He would have had a say. It was painfully obvious early in the game that he was unfit and useless. Even tho the game was long gone it was a relief when he was subbed out. At time I thought suck on that Reid, suck on that Horse.

McLean in his first game for us produced a better gutsier half than Reid ever has or will punch hitting in the Ruck.

I was disappointed he got another gig.
I don’t think it can be said enough that 2022 was not a team problem, it was a Grand Final problem.

Horse has been brilliant in nurturing a positive attitude across the club but now he needs to spice it up with some killer instinct.

I don’t think it can be said enough that 2022 was not a team problem, it was a Grand Final problem.

Horse has been brilliant in nurturing a positive attitude across the club but now he needs to spice it up with some killer instinct.

This. If there was such a thing as making a GF ahead of schedule 2022 provides a classic case study. We were on a hiding to nothing. The signs were there when we lost momentum in the 3rd Q of the PF. Were we cooked, simply not good enough or thoroughly out coached?

As our team and the Coaches regroup for 2023, I hope that killer instinct is instilled in everyone.

This. If there was such a thing as making a GF ahead of schedule 2022 provides a classic case study. We were on a hiding to nothing. The signs were there when we lost momentum in the 3rd Q of the PF. Were we cooked, simply not good enough or thoroughly out coached?

As our team and the Coaches regroup for 2023, I hope that killer instinct is instilled in everyone.
All three if you ask me.

I've spoken ad nauseum about how I think Chris Scott's coaching was masterful, and whilst I think it's important to give credit where it's due, I don't like him enough to talk about it any further.

We were evidently cooked. The fact we nearly blew a grand final spot altogether the week before showed just how little left we had in the tank. The fact we were only there because of some heroic individual performances while Geelong got there in a 10+ goal romp showed that...

We evidently weren't good enough. Geelong were primed for it, they'd done everything right to give themselves the best chance at making the most of their grand final spot, whilst we had to fight and scrap just to be there. They deserved to win the flag and were likely not losing it to anyone - we were just the poor buggers that ended up on the other side of it.

I don't think we have had a killer instinct in recent years. We don't put away the bad teams enough to really boost percentage

I have railed about this for years. We are a team that gets 35 or 40 points ahead and then takes our foot off the throat of the opposition, simply happy having a comfortable win rather than a crushing one. Now some people would say "who cares, we still got the 4 points" but it shows a lack of as you said killer instinct.

All three if you ask me.

I've spoken ad nauseum about how I think Chris Scott's coaching was masterful, and whilst I think it's important to give credit where it's due, I don't like him enough to talk about it any further.

We were evidently cooked. The fact we nearly blew a grand final spot altogether the week before showed just how little left we had in the tank. The fact we were only there because of some heroic individual performances while Geelong got there in a 10+ goal romp showed that...

We evidently weren't good enough. Geelong were primed for it, they'd done everything right to give themselves the best chance at making the most of their grand final spot, whilst we had to fight and scrap just to be there. They deserved to win the flag and were likely not losing it to anyone - we were just the poor buggers that ended up on the other side of it.
I think there’s a potential 4th issue:

The mental impact on the team of dropping Logan AND playing a crocked Reid.

We’ll never know if it had a psychological impact - but it easily could have.

All three if you ask me.

It's been a trend in our Grand Final appearances where we've been beaten. Something is wrong with our preparation for Grand Final week. I have nfi what it could be but it's SOMETHING.

Cooked and thoroughly out coached. We had shown plenty of times throughout the season that we were good enough

Cooked and thoroughly out coached. We had shown plenty of times throughout the season that we were good enough
I don't think we were outcoached. We beat them early in the season at Buddy's 1000.
Geelong had been building for this grand final for a few years. They had a few big defeats in finals leading up to 2022. They traded in experience heavily in the last few years. They were primed.
Sydney have been conversely shedding experience in Dawson and Hewett. We had 5 players out of 7 in our starting midfield who were 22 years old or less. We were building.
Primed vs Building = Primed winning.

I think there’s a potential 4th issue:

The mental impact on the team of dropping Logan AND playing a crocked Reid.

We’ll never know if it had a psychological impact - but it easily could have.
Sorry DQ but I don't agree at all.

I get that fans like McDonald more than McLean, so that change was a heated one for fans to accept. But our players probably like them equally. They'd have been just as pumped that DOSSA (as they so fondly refer to McLean as on social media) was getting his chance in a grand final, as they would've been disappointed for McDonald.

As for Reid, whilst it might've been nice if we had a fully fit key forward, we conceded 20 inside 50s in the first quarter to 8, so the midfield was leaking like a sieve. And they scored from over half of those inside 50s as well, so our defence was leaking like a sieve. What was happening up the ground is hardly the fault of the forwards. I also don't think that every time Parker got left eating Dangerfield's dust, or Hickey was jumping up for ruck contests, or McCartin was getting monstered by Hawkins, or Blakey was kicking it out on the full for no reason when the score was still 1-0, that Reid and his state of fitness was on their minds in any way, shape or form.

The signs were there when we lost momentum in the 3rd Q of the PF. Were we cooked, simply not good enough or thoroughly out coached?
All three if you ask me.
Cooked, not good enough, out coached???
Correct if Im wrong, but Im sure we won that game?

The Grand final was a different game, different opposition etc etc.. Geelong won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers for the responses. A little surprised you have him behind Francis though.
For SC Melican is very unlikely to get a game.
During the strong run home last year Gould was the emergency tall defender, not Melican, which tells the story.
Francis may get a game or two to see how he is fitting into our defensive system providing he's going well in VFL and training.
The back 7 from last year is likely to start out unchanged.

Yes, I had great trepidations after the Prelim. We did not finish the game well at all. Looked gone. I actually believe Pies would have done a better job in the GF. But they still would have gotten smashed. Cats were ripe for that game. They were primed for it.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have railed about this for years. We are a team that gets 35 or 40 points ahead and then takes our foot off the throat of the opposition, simply happy having a comfortable win rather than a crushing one. Now some people would say "who cares, we still got the 4 points" but it shows a lack of as you said killer instinct.
Teams that act this way never win premierships. Not tough enough. Take Crows 2 flags. Saints & North were soft

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Isnt it great that you follow a club like the Swans. They have great management, fitness staff, recruitment is A quality.
Coming off a grand final loss may be devastating to supporters of other clubs. But not to me. Why? Because I think our best is yet to come. This side, especially the midfield, is so young. Our best is in the future. What you see now is a preamble. Just the stuff that happens when you are planning to do something.
The GF was thrust upon us and we were not ready. It was was a case of kids vs men. Yes it was horrible. But Geelong deserved to win. They had been preparing for this GF for years. We just stumbled into it. It is no disgrace for a team with a junior midfield to be overrun by a much more experienced midfield.

Sydney
Parker(29) 260
Mills(25) 135
Rowbottom(22) 65
McInerny(22) 53
Gulden(20) 43
Warner(21) 39
Stephens(21) 30

Geelong were too experienced.

Isnt it great that you follow a club like the Swans. They have great management, fitness staff, recruitment is A quality.
Coming off a grand final loss may be devastating to supporters of other clubs. But not to me. Why? Because I think our best is yet to come. This side, especially the midfield, is so young. Our best is in the future. What you see now is a preamble. Just the stuff that happens when you are planning to do something.
The GF was thrust upon us and we were not ready. It was was a case of kids vs men. Yes it was horrible. But Geelong deserved to win. They had been preparing for this GF for years. We just stumbled into it. It is no disgrace for a team with a junior midfield to be overrun by a much more experienced midfield.

Sydney
Parker(29) 260
Mills(25) 135
Rowbottom(22) 65
McInerny(22) 53
Gulden(20) 43
Warner(21) 39
Stephens(21) 30

Geelong were too experienced.

I am somewhat optimistic as no one really expected us to reach the Grand Final in 2022. We overperformed where our list is at this stage.

I have been watching our games again. If we ever actually play 4 quarters without going into stasis for for at least 1 quarter during a game we are going to blow sides away. Many of the dead periods or periods other sides got momentum were our own fault through lack of concentration. Hence we gave the ball away.

Made very basic mistakes like trying to kick off ground instead of picking up. Kicked the ball out of defence without looking even though we had time. Overcooked forward entries or just popped the ball up. Went missing in thr middle, mids started getting flogged. Kicked the ball OOF several times in a quarter. Tried doing fancy stuff instead of doing the basics well. Started to try Hero stuff instead of using teammates. In other words being selfish. Gave away really silly free kicks in these periods too.

If we get rid of that shite and play footy just like we do in the good quarters we are going to really annihilate some teams this season. If we can play consistent footy we will not only worry the good sides we will cause them huge grief. But we need to concentrate for 120 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back