2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

That average is probably dragged down by a few Hobart games, but yes was good to see them get above 20k for this

They’ve actually only had 4 games ever that are substantially bigger than this one, so a decent effort.

33k in 2015
27k in 1994 & 1998
26k in 2007

The highest number of people to attend games in Melbourne in one round:

View attachment 1632694

We've already had nearly 175k from the first two games. Only need 112k from the remaining 4 to beat the record.

Yes, it's helped by having 6 games in Melbourne for only the second time in 15 years, but there's every chance the record could go with just the 4 MCG games anyway.
I'm waiting to see if we can crack 400K for a round again, IIRC it's only happened once in 2017. Got off to a flying start, with nearly 200,000 for the first 3 games in the round.

Added - 230208 for the first 4 games, Need 170,000 from the remaining 5 games

Last edited:

291,929 with 3 games to go

Essendon and Hawthorn will have to do the heavy lifting to get the record from here. Even 70K, which is unlikely, would leave the saints freo and Giants Crows getting 40 between them.

Do not see it

Pretty ordinary crowd at the G. I'm now doubting the the 401,000 record will be beaten!
291,929 with 3 games to go

Essendon and Hawthorn will have to do the heavy lifting to get the record from here. Even 70K, which is unlikely, would leave the saints freo and Giants Crows getting 40 between them.

Do not see it
The North and Dees and Port matches are all unders and will be the reason the 401,000 is not reached.
GWS 12,000 Saints 30,000 and Hawks maybe 50,000 = 384,000 need to find 18,000 more cannot see it happening.

Last edited:
Not surprising with the figure at the g tonight, both clubs wilth smallish fan bases, should be considered a pass mark anything over 35k between the two clubs

Pretty ordinary crowd at the G. I'm now doubting the the 401,000 record will be beaten!

The North and Dees and Port matches are all unders and will be the reason the 401,000 is not reached.
GWS 12,000 Saints 30,000 and Hawks maybe 50,000 = 384,000 need to find 18,000 more cannot see it happening.
You expect too much. nearly 50K for Melbourne and over 20K for North are good returns on 2 lower Melbourne clubs against their opponents and expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why
Ed Sheeran Television GIF by The Voice
is there no games in Perth this week and two games next week?

Good numbers yesterday given the blow outs after the dead zone north v eagles game.

71K in Sydney is better than what the Storm got to start the season with no AFL on on a Thursday night (61K). It is also more than the sydney soccer derby got nationally last night on at the same time.

I didn’t see it written already but 34,255 at Port vs Brisbane at Adelaide Oval.

It is bigger than all the non-showdown Port home games last season.

Hawthorn / Essendon tickets selling more strongly last 48 hours, it appears the crowd will exceed my earlier prediction. I have no idea how many will turn up, it could push 60,000.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Neither club has a great deal of hype going into the season - to say the least of it - but Round 1 is Round 1. Where there is life there is hope. Barring a draw one will get a bounce from a win. No one knows in football. That said my estimate is somewhere in the 55 to 57,000 region. This may well be conservative.

I didn’t see it written already but 34,255 at Port vs Brisbane at Adelaide Oval.

It is bigger than all the non-showdown Port home games last season.
Crowds at Adelaide Oval last year were pretty terrible, probably due to both Covid and both teams being poor. The average was more than 10k down from pre Covid. It will need to bounce back in a big way.

Why is there no games in Perth this week and two games next week?
As with so much else in life, it’s Ed Sheeran’s fault.

13648 at Heritage Bank stadium.
Not a bad crowd. Context wise given the Suns lack of success, dynamics of sport on the Gold Coast and Sydney probably not being the biggest crowd puller, it's pretty decent. Cross code rivals the Titans had 14,483 against Melbourne Storm on the same day. So they compare reasonably well with the more established and dominant sporting code in SEQ.

If GC can get some early wins on the board and perhaps leverage attendance from away fans when hosting bigger pulling clubs (especially if they host Collingwood and have a home Q Clash), you may start to see those crowds get into the higher 15,000+ range. And in a challenging market like the Gold Coast, that would be half decent.

Last night wouldn't have helped, but in fairness whoever came up against the Swans in Rd 1 was going to be obliterated. They were out for revenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back