List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on the various ratings and the videos of Hastie which I'd not seen till now it looks like our group of draftees is about
1x 1st rounder, Wilson
3x 2nd rounders, Collard, Hastie, Shoe
1x 3rd rounder, Garcia
GOP in Bonner.

Wilson and Bonner will probably get games, maybe Hastie too.
Chuck in Dow, Henry and Hotton and competition for spots is getting stronger.
I think 2024 will be fun to watch.

It’s funny though - we’ve brought in so many quick guys, but where we were smashed at times was in the middle. Hopefully Dow helps.

Hopefully. But he was a guy who was very much on the outer, though we can console ourselves that it was Cripps keeping him out and thats a pretty hard spot to take.

Well I've been on that New Zealand cruise that didn't stop in New Zealand. Looks like a really good draft crop, very excited about the players we got.

What the hell is with that GWS trade, go back 1 spot for a future 2nd rounder.... Do I have that right? That and Arie Schoenmaker are huge steals.

Yep , practically they gave us a second round pick to take Wilson and not Leake.

Yep , practically they gave us a second round pick to take Wilson and not Leake.
It will be interesting to see what future years holds for both of them. We won't know who won the draft of that first rounder for a few years.

I read that another club had offered Geelong a deal to be in a position to draft Caddy and Essendon were basically given a final right of reply which led to the 2nd changing hands. I suspect something very similar was offered to us and GWS was given the opportunity to make a better offer....which we obviously took.

It will be interesting to see what future years holds for both of them. We won't know who won the draft of that first rounder for a few years.
We now have two chances to win it.
Wouldn't it be great if Leake spudded out while Wilson and our next year second went really well.

It’s funny though - we’ve brought in so many quick guys, but where we were smashed at times was in the middle. Hopefully Dow helps.

In the Elimination Final GWS killed us on the spread. Absolutely murdered us. Once they got the ball out of congestion we couldn’t go with them.

They shot out to a 7 goal lead in 2Q, 3Q and 4Q. It was our grit and determination that allowed us to claw back.

Pace was our Achilles heel. As well as GWS being able to be so clean with the ball. They didn’t fumble and their possessions were one touch.

This draft aims to address the speed and spread issue. Hopefully skill and touch will improve as our next wave comes through.

In the Elimination Final GWS killed us on the spread. Absolutely murdered us. Once they got the ball out of congestion we couldn’t go with them.

They shot out to a 7 goal lead in 2Q, 3Q and 4Q. It was our grit and determination that allowed us to claw back.

Pace was our Achilles heel. As well as GWS being able to be so clean with the ball. They didn’t fumble and their possessions were one touch.

This draft aims to address the speed and spread issue. Hopefully skill and touch will improve as our next wave comes through.
I have no doubt that final is the reason why we drafted how we did. I hope they don’t think the job is done though, we need to continue to draft like that for another 2-3 years because while we’re all on cloud 9 right now it’s unlikely that every pick is going to work out. It’s a good start though.

I have no doubt that final is the reason why we drafted how we did. I hope they don’t think the job is done though, we need to continue to draft like that for another 2-3 years because while we’re all on cloud 9 right now it’s unlikely that every pick is going to work out. It’s a good start though.

Realistically we probably cherry pick some very targeted hole fillers but continue to top up at the draft. Once you have a best 23 you can start planning for a few years ahead. We are at a point where we are going to be upgrading existing players like Seb Ross and any of the forwards not performing. It's not going to be easy to get a game as it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have drafted 5 lads (Wilson, Collard, Hastie, Garcia and Schoenmaker), traded-in 2 (Dow and Henry) and have bought in Bonner (Rookie) and O’Connell (Cat-B).

That’s 9 players. We can’t expect them all to come up trumps and even those who do may take a few years to develop.

Realistically if 4-5 of them become regular quality AFL players then we have done well.

We will probably have another couple of drafts of flooding the list with young players who fill our needs. At that point several from the classes of 21-23 will be maturing into top flight players. This year is very important for them.

We still have plenty of work to do and hard yards ahead of us. What would fast track that process would be if we actually nailed almost every draft selection.

Doesn’t happen, never happens. But one day there will be a first time. It would be nice if it was us right now.

And in other games our midfield was trounced. I know it is more than a one year fix, but we’ll need to ready ourselves for some repeat of that.

We have drafted 5 lads (Wilson, Collard, Hastie, Garcia and Schoenmaker), traded-in 2 (Dow and Henry) and have bought in Bonner (Rookie) and O’Connell (Cat-B).

That’s 9 players. We can’t expect them all to come up trumps and even those who do may take a few years to develop.

Realistically if 4-5 of them become regular quality AFL players then we have done well.

We will probably have another couple of drafts of flooding the list with young players who fill our needs. At that point several from the classes of 21-23 will be maturing into top flight players. This year is very important for them.

We still have plenty of work to do and hard yards ahead of us. What would fast track that process would be if we actually nailed almost every draft selection.

Doesn’t happen, never happens. But one day there will be a first time. It would be nice if it was us right now.
Our list build is not complete..still some holes but a list build takes multiple drafts

And in other games our midfield was trounced. I know it is more than a one year fix, but we’ll need to ready ourselves for some repeat of that.

Dow, Henry and improvement from guys like Windhager, Owens, Phillipou and Byrnes should shake things up. Add a fit Jones and Clark and who knows how we'll go.

Loved how RTB kept Pou in the centre bounces where he was outmuscled, out played and out positioned in the final.
One play at a centre bounce, he was on Green, as it was bounced Green leant on Pou, got him.off balance, then apush to the side and Green had three metres on him, got it with a clean possession, with Pou metres behind.
He was pantsed, and it was a great lesson for him. We have lots of inexperienced mids, Pou, Chito, Ronnie, Windy, Hotton, and now the draftees.
It will take another season before we see our mids get experience and start to become a real force.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

But in some games our midfield were fantastic. They were inconsistent. Up and down.

Aside from the Elimination Final we only lost one match by more than 28 points, so overall the midfield weren’t as bad as many think.

Our midfield is one-paced and needs an influx of speed. They also had games when they couldn’t get their hands on the ball for blocks of games. Exhibit A: 2Q of the Elimination Final.

But let’s see how we go this year. Paddy Dow and a fit Jack Steele will help.

They didn't expect Garcia to still be available and Shoey was a free hit, so l still think the plan was for only 3 but things worked out in our favor.
We probably don't have much if any more trade bait to gain picks unless we pull in futures, but l really don't think we'll be so wealthy or lucky next year.

IMHO it'll be 1 more year of drafting focus but not necessarily quantity, then need to look at high priced trades or we're wasting our time.

But in some games our midfield were fantastic. They were inconsistent. Up and down.

Aside from the Elimination Final we only lost one match by more than 28 points, so overall the midfield weren’t as bad as many think.

Our midfield is one-paced and needs an influx of speed. They also had games when they couldn’t get their hands on the ball for blocks of games. Exhibit A: 2Q of the Elimination Final.

Think our biggest problem is the lack of a ball winning midfielder with real handball skills.

We can win it and shank it forward but we lack a gun handball distributor like Libba or Oliver who can quickly get the ball to outside mids who can then really break open the play.

And if you can't do that, it doesn't matter how many and how fast your outside players are.

Think our biggest problem is the lack of a ball winning midfielder with real handball skills.

We can win it and shank it forward but we lack a gun handball distributor like Libba or Oliver who can quickly get the ball to outside mids who can then really break open the play.

And if you can't do that, it doesn't matter how many and how fast your outside players are.
That's where Daddy Pow will come in handy.

Yep, all fair and mine is just a view. I felt that our structure (and perhaps the rest of the ground) kept us in it quite a bit. Not always terrible and Crouch had a terrific season. I do think Dow will help more than most externals would naturally think. Also need a big summer from Muscles Clark.

Yep, all fair and mine is just a view. I felt that our structure (and perhaps the rest of the ground) kept us in it quite a bit. Not always terrible and Crouch had a terrific season. I do think Dow will help more than most externals would naturally think. Also need a big summer from Muscles Clark.
Yes the consistency is the thing. Glaringly obvious in the final on the day they had 5 Jack Steele's to our one.
Ours got 38 possessions and was a lone hand, his best game of the year, but GWS had multiple very good mids.
Crouch had been good all year but was sat on and taken put of the game. We rotated through the guts but the inexperienced kids and some older players were just not up to it.
Many have been saying for a decade we need to concentrate on the midfield. Has only really started in 2020 so 21, 22, and 23 will take a few years to come through.

We still need a Bont/Cripps type in the guts. Hoping chito will become that ultra dominate player for us.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back