List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

There are plenty gun mids throughout the history of the Draft that went later than our picks
Mids weren't that strong in the champs this year. There are a couple of speculative mid types around our picks but also some impressive non-mids who would add to areas we need improving too as well.

We also can't only draft midfielders.

There are plenty gun mids throughout the history of the Draft that went later than our picks

We need mids and always have but also need to build a list how the coach wants us to play. Crouch, Steele and Dow are all extractors. Probably can't fit one more kid in the seniors and Windhager, Phillipou and Owens potentially play some midfield next year. Jones in reserve.

Lyon likes run and spread over pure extractors so we chased another outside runner in Henry and outside of that really only have Hill and Wood who are old. Dmac and Byrnes in reserve. To me those outside runners are a bit light on. You can carry two high half forwards, two running backs and two wings plus rotations and depth.

We probably want guys like Windsor with speed and run more than absolute pure mids. Luckily those types are quite well stocked in this draft.

Funny enough having some more rebounding half backs could give us another mid rotation or release Nas to a wing. We chased them for years but haven't got heaps of them left.

Mids weren't that strong in the champs this year. There are a couple of speculative mid types around our picks but also some impressive non-mids who would add to areas we need improving too as well.

Agree. If, for example, Leake slipped to our first pick we’d be crazy not to select him.

Like all your picks but think moir will slide to almost our pick 40, there is better prospects than him for our 2nd pick
At this stage we’ve only got 3 picks but I guess with Highmore being delisted SOS may try & snare another pick if there’s a player still on the board in the 30-40 region.

Simple…pick best available!

We need mids and always have but also need to build a list how the coach wants us to play. Crouch, Steele and Dow are all extractors. Probably can't fit one more kid in the seniors and Windhager, Phillipou and Owens potentially play some midfield next year. Jones in reserve.

Lyon likes run and spread over pure extractors so we chased another outside runner in Henry and outside of that really only have Hill and Wood who are old. Dmac and Byrnes in reserve. To me those outside runners are a bit light on. You can carry two high half forwards, two running backs and two wings plus rotations and depth.

We probably want guys like Windsor with speed and run more than absolute pure mids. Luckily those types are quite well stocked in this draft.

Funny enough having some more rebounding half backs could give us another mid rotation or release Nas to a wing. We chased them for years but haven't got heaps of them left.
I know most on here have written Jones off but if he can somehow get his body right, both he & Dow will help transform our midfield..along with cameo’s from Windhager, Phillipou & Owens!

I would love someone like Collard as a high impact forward who could come in and make an impact and at 185 be a real dangerous forward as our small forwards whilst ok, lack that real crazy X factor. So would have to be our first pick. Obviously would need to know his go home factor, but with Henry and Hill from WA there as well might be helpful. Possibly with our 2nd pick land another WA boy potentially.

I think Lyon wants players who are not hampered by ongoing injury issues. Geelong in their strong premiership years, showed the value of keeping your best on the field during the season. We may see a few different combinations through our midfield next season while he tries to get it right. An extractor with more acceleration off the mark would be high on the list.

Simple…pick best available!

Ive said it before but I believe the 'best available' approach only applies to the top 10-12 selections or clubs who are content with their list. After that it comes with a caveat of 'list needs'. It's highly subjective and none of us actually know how the recruiting teams approach each draft. We gather each club produces their own draft ratings say 1- 45, I expect that the clubs might also have players rated in tiers or groups. Then they may have something like 5 x identified or wanted players expected to be available around their picks based on list needs, rather than best available. As an example say we have the 5 x players we want at pick #13 - Windsor, Wilson, Leake, Tholstrup & Murphy, all are in that 10-20 rated range but are most importantly list needs. We might have Murphy rated at #20 but because he is a list need he makes the pick #13 wanted group.

Best available also comes into play later in the draft if all the clubs targetted players are off the table and there is a higher rated slider - but again it would be based on list needs eg Isaac Keeler last year. It just doesnt equate that a club might have 4 ruckman of varying ages on their list, that they would take the best available if that is another ruckman.

Last edited:
I think Lyon wants players who are not hampered by ongoing injury issues. Geelong in their strong premiership years, showed the value of keeping your best on the field during the season. We may see a few different combinations through our midfield next season while he tries to get it right. An extractor with more acceleration off the mark would be high on the list.
Guys who hit the ball running is what we miss. Crouch and Steele get the pill but are never moving when they do.
Dow, Chito, Windy will help and that's half the reason I'm so keen on Edwards.

It doesn't help that Marshall is poor at directing the tap so we'll probably have to wait till Moose or even Keeler come on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive said it before but I believe the 'best available' approach only applies to the top 10-12 selections or clubs who are content with their list. After that it comes with a caveat of 'list needs'. It's highly subjective and none of us actually know how the recruiting teams approach each draft. We gather each club produces their own draft ratings say 1- 45, I expect that the clubs might also have players rated in tiers or groups. Then they may have something like 5 x identified or wanted players expected to be available around their picks based on list needs, rather than best available. As an example say we have the 5 x players we want at pick #13 - Windsor, Wilson, Leake, Tholstrup & Murphy, all are in that 10-20 rated range but are most importantly list needs. We might have Murphy rated at #20 but because he is a list need he makes the pick #13 wanted group.

Best available also comes into play later in the draft if all the clubs targetted players are off the table and there is a higher rated slider - but again it would be based on list needs eg Isaac Keeler last year. It just doesnt equate that a club might have 4 ruckman of varying ages on their list, that they would take the best available if that is another ruckman.
Exactly this.
Van Ess taken in front of Hotton last year is case in point.

That’s why I like Kane McAuliffe, big & strong & placed 5th in 20mt sprint at draft combine.

At this stage we’ve only got 3 picks but I guess with Highmore being delisted SOS may try & snare another pick if there’s a player still on the board in the 30-40 region.

If some sides choose not to use later picks as suggested and the academy picks are taken out even pick 92 might end up at about 45 to 55. Some have said there are clubs that won't take any more picks after 40. If there is a player that slips through it might be useable.

Fox Footy podcast reiterates rumour of us targeting Hardeman. Melts incoming.
One our biggest Achilles Heels over the past couple of seasons has been our lack of speed.

He has it. A lot of it.

I can see the sense in it.

Fox Footy podcast reiterates rumour of us targeting Hardeman. Melts incoming.

I wonder if the club are feeding the media for a certain reason re Hardeman. He wouldn't be my first choice, but If we do take him I will back the recruitment team in. He has speed, intercept marking, a bullet left leg and leadership qualities so there is plenty to like. Plus he and his family are mad Saints supporters so its in his blood.

I wonder if the club are feeding the media for a certain reason re Hardeman. He wouldn't be my first choice, but If we do take him I will back the recruitment team in. He has speed, intercept marking, a bullet left leg and leadership qualities so there is plenty to like. Plus he and his family are mad Saints supporters so its in his blood.
Been linked now to 2 WA players and it smells like funny buggers to me.

"We are going to prioritize local talent" were the words.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back