Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
I agree with Bluelegs - JDGs best is significantly better than Brayshaw, but his career has been lesser - too injured, too patchy, too ratbagy.

It's almost Sylvia like. One step up.
Gus has been crap for most of his career as well let's no re write history.

Unbelievably flawed system

The whole problem with the system is that shit clubs get teenagers, but teenagers don't fix clubs. North are shit because they have no good senior players. Giving them extra salary cap room or something would be so much more effective.

How can they possible be better for losing a senior key defender and replacing him with an 18 year old midfielder.

Unbelievably flawed system

Ridiculous a club gets compo for a player they aren't even trying to keep.

Sydney would have plenty of cap space with Franklin retiring. Probably frontload the shit out of the contract.

The whole problem with the system is that s**t clubs get teenagers, but teenagers don't fix clubs. North are s**t because they have no good senior players. Giving them extra salary cap room or something would be so much more effective.

How can they possible be better for losing a senior key defender and replacing him with an 18 year old midfielder.

It's a slow burn to turn a team around from so far back - We did ok out of losing Chip, not instantly, but it was part of the process.

The whole problem with the system is that s**t clubs get teenagers, but teenagers don't fix clubs. North are s**t because they have no good senior players. Giving them extra salary cap room or something would be so much more effective.

Absolutely agree with all this, though I doubt it makes them any worse. McKay is a bog average footballer.

North want him to walk though. They would rather have a teenager to come to the club to make them better long term.

Because the compensation is way over the top. If they were offered pick 40 I doubt theyd let him shake so easy.
That's kind of the point though isn't it. If bottom clubs aren't even trying to keep their guys then maybe we're approaching Free Agency the wrong way.

Gus has been crap for most of his career as well let's no re write history.

You are truly given to hyperbole sometimes.

Crap players don’t get handed six year contract extensions. He’s been good, at times very good. Super brave and strong in the contest. Fluffs his lines occasionally but not everyone’s Nick Daicos.

yep, best thing AFL can do for them is give them extra $$$ in the soft cap to get better coaches/administrators like Roos and Jackson. Throwing draft picks at them just wastes young blokes careers.

You are truly given to hyperbole sometimes.

Crap players don’t get handed six year contract extensions. He’s been good, at times very good. Super brave and strong in the contest. Fluffs his lines occasionally but not everyone’s Nick Daicos.
Harmes got 5 so he must be a generational talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's the obvious rebuttal to saying Gus is great because he got a contract

Never said he was great. Said he was good and sometimes very good.

C’mon TK not everyone’s Zac Butters. There’s a reason we’ve been a solid top four and premiership side over four consecutive seasons. It’s not just coz we have Clarry, Tracc, Max, Fritta and May.

Never said he was great. Said he was good and sometimes very good.

C’mon TK not everyone’s Zac Butters. There’s a reason we’ve been a solid top four and premiership side over four consecutive seasons. It’s not just coz we have Clarry, Tracc, Max, Fritta and May.
Right and that's fair. But again mate I said he's been pretty crap most of his career and he has.
Battled concussions for the first 4 or so years. Found good role in 21, then in 22 was good as a defender then no good in the middle. This year he was no good for most of the year till he started focusing on defensive stuff again.

This all stems back to me saying he's been meh and he has been. Plenty of times plenty of people on here were happy to see the back of him including last off season

Can’t believe there is actually a discussion on whether Gus has been a good pick up.

He’s not a top 50 player but was a key part of our flag. Along with his family, he’s had a massive off field and cultural impact.

Right and that's fair. But again mate I said he's been pretty crap most of his career and he has.
Battled concussions for the first 4 or so years. Found good role in 21, then in 22 was good as a defender then no good in the middle. This year he was no good for most of the year till he started focusing on defensive stuff again.

This all stems back to me saying he's been meh and he has been. Plenty of times plenty of people on here were happy to see the back of him including last off season

Even if you think he’s ‘meh’ how does that morph into ‘he’s been pretty crap most of his career’.

Even just this year in isolation he’s been pretty good I reckon. Has stepped up in games at crucial moments. Carried some of the load in Clarry’s absence. Usually always puts his body on the line.

You’re a harsh critic at times.

Even if you think he’s ‘meh’ how does that morph not ‘he’s been pretty crap most of his career’.

Even just this year in isolation he’s been pretty good I reckon. Has stepped up in games at crucial moments. Always puts his body on the line.

You’re a harsh critic at times.
Because I think he's been below par for probably 7 of his 9 seasons.
Now could argue that one was his debut year and then concussions issues so then I'll say he's only been above average for us in 2 of 9 seasons. That's meh to me

My conclusion from reading this thread is that a bunch of meh players , with some solid ones thrown in , and some stars sprinkled in can win a flag . Good to know .
meh list put together by a poor coach and a meh recruiting manager

This board seemed more positive when the team was performing quite meh

I’m not thinking we’d get him.

More that we’d leverage using the selection to force their academy nomination earlier if they don’t trade with us.

I wouldn’t have a huge problem if we took the best ruck in this draft anyway to be honest.
I would. Would be an absolutely horrific pick in the middle of a window. He wouldn't any good for 5 years if he was even any good and our window would be closed by then. We'd go another year without adding a midfielder

I’m not thinking we’d get him.

More that we’d leverage using the selection to force their academy nomination earlier if they don’t trade with us.

I wouldn’t have a huge problem if we took the best ruck in this draft anyway to be honest.

Picking a ‘best ruck in the draft’ is like chucking some chips on your favourite three or four numbers on a roulette board and hoping for your luck to come in.

Apparently Shane McAdam going to request a trade to us according to SEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back