Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Tigers added Lynch to a side that had already just won the flag. Comfortably the single biggest factor in them winning another two of the next three cups after that initial success.

Cats added a top 3 player in the competition (Cameron) having made a GF in 2020.

Pies added a Brownlow medallist in Mitchell to their midfield who went on to be the second best player in a 4 point GF win.

We’re adding McAdam & Tommy ‘Allen Iverson’ Fullarton. Might not be good enough. Just sayin’.
Yes but those players came out of contract and were available for the taking, unfortunately there is just nothing out there. Mitchell was pushed out by hawthorn, he was a good pick up for Collingwood for sure but the guy is an inside midfield would make zero sense to target him.

Yes but those players came out of contract and were available for the taking, unfortunately there is just nothing out there. Mitchell was pushed out by hawthorn, he was a good pick up for Collingwood for sure but the guy is an inside midfield would make zero sense to target him.

I’m not saying the circumstances were the same. Bit of luck involved one way and poor luck the other.
Just pointing out some pretty obvious reasons why those clubs elevated their lists to premiership quality.

It’s not all about luck or bad luck, though. Our list manager has to put his hand up for some poor post-flag decision making. He/they definitely dropped the ball to some extent.

This should explain his role in the side.

81q55b.jpg

This is very good mate

I don’t want to overstimulate you lot but someone told me we’ve made a call to Matt Taberner. On the proviso one of BBB or Tmac retire.

Taberner is garbage so could totally see us being interested.

I’m not saying the circumstances were the same. Bit of luck involved one way and poor luck the other.
Just pointing out some pretty obvious reasons why those clubs elevated their lists to premiership quality.

It’s not all about luck or bad luck, though. Our list manager has to put his hand up for some poor post-flag decision making. He/they definitely dropped the ball to some extent.
Collingwood nailed their recruits. They were poor in contested ball, so went and got Mitchell. Poor in contested marking in the F50. Went and got McStay. Bobby Hill just fell in their laps really, but they looked at the flaws in their game, and went and fixed them. Not with the best players that would cost them a fortune, but with specific needs in mind. They go on and win the flag. All 3 blokes they targeted playing a big part in them getting to the GF and then winning it. Incredible recruiting by the Pies.

I agree with you that I don't think we are far off but I think the ball we've dropped was being stagnant with a defensive gameplan. Richmond's success came from playing 'surge' footy taking risk and moving the ball in quickly. Geelong also adapted after years of playing boring they started moving the ball quickly from half back. I'll take a slow start to the season next year if we can see an improved game plan.

Three young ruck prospects are named in the top 20-30 range of this draft by ESPN: Mitch Edwards (207cm/WA), Will Green (204cm/Vic) and Archer Reid (203cm/Vic).

Pick 25 might snare us one of these boys if we keep that pick and decide to have a crack at unearthing the next Maxy Gawn. Any keen U/18 and draft watchers got any hot takes on these three lads?

They do say that people are getting taller. I wouldn't be surprised that in 15-20 years 202 cms would be inside mids and rucks would start at 225cms+.

Collingwood nailed their recruits. They were poor in contested ball, so went and got Mitchell. Poor in contested marking in the F50. Went and got McStay. Bobby Hill just fell in their laps really, but they looked at the flaws in their game, and went and fixed them. Not with the best players that would cost them a fortune, but with specific needs in mind. They go on and win the flag. All 3 blokes they targeted playing a big part in them getting to the GF and then winning it. Incredible recruiting by the Pies.

Masterful recruiting.

Hill stays put at GWS end of ‘22 who wins the flag this year? GWS? Brisbane?

Actually come to think of it, while we’re talking sliding doors moments who wins the flag this year if Dogga stayed in red and blue? Us? Despite everything quite conceivable.

Margins are razor thin now at the top. Hopefully there’s more to come than McAdam and Fullerton. It’s concerning.

Maybe there’s a plan we’re not aware of to lure a big fish end of next season. Better have something significant in the works, or odds increase we’ll get left behind.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you that I don't think we are far off but I think the ball we've dropped was being stagnant with a defensive gameplan. Richmond's success came from playing 'surge' footy taking risk and moving the ball in quickly. Geelong also adapted after years of playing boring they started moving the ball quickly from half back. I'll take a slow start to the season next year if we can see an improved game plan.

I hated the game plan at times as well but I think Goody was pushed into a corner assessing, probably correctly, that our forward line wasn’t good enough to capitalise on higher risk ball movement.

Losing Dogga, combined with the club’s miscalculation on TMac and BBB having longevity and holding their 2021 form, has proved lethal.

Last edited:
Apparently Darcy Wilson came second in the 2km time trial at the draft combine today.

That will reinforce his stocks and might even push him close to the top 10.
He's in a tough spot – our first pick would be a bit of a reach, and he's likely gone by our second pick.

Would you take a look at Nick Haynes for loose change and defensive depth?

Would you take a look at Nick Haynes for loose change and defensive depth?
All things being equal, yes. But, I believe the problem is that his contract is around $1m pa. Giants would be happy to get him off the books but I don’t think any club will go for it.

Oh wow, didn't realise that. That is absolutely insane. Only one year left right? Can't see a way it can be worked around, you wouldn't even want to stretch that over 3 years because he could be done in 2.

Because it's the weekend.

I was going to say the same thing.. 😆

Trades don't happen on the weekend but there's no doubt agreements are made behind the scenes. So in other words in a way trades do get done but can't officially be processed until Monday.

Thanks for letting me know. In other sports, particularly in USA, weekends aren't as verboten or immune from trades. Also in the States players could play for 3-5 teams in a year.

That would be the AFL equivalent of say Ash Johnson from Collingwood being traded mid-season to say the Saints and then traded to Bulldogs at the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back