Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Schultz has nominated the pies. but yeah, I'd be open to it. I just don't want our fanbase carrying on with all this 'tap brothers' nonsense like we did with Grundy when, in my eyes, it was never going to work. A bit of an eye opener for us to just hold fire and wait to see if Hawkins actually plays well before we celebrate his inclusion (if he comes).

But generally speaking, I cannot understand why we wouldn't have gone Chol.
Chol is reportedly a really lazy guy. But ye i get. I see the Schultz stuff now this is bs, thats one player that if he was available we shouldve thrown everything at him. Im feeling pretty frustrated at our list management, Schultz would've been the perfect recruit, wouldve completely made our trade period. Now Coll get better and more dangerous and we get nthn, great.

Chol is reportedly a really lazy guy. But ye i get. I see the Schultz stuff now this is bs, thats one player that if he was available we shouldve thrown everything at him. Im feeling pretty frustrated at our list management, Schultz would've been the perfect recruit, wouldve completely made our trade period.
100% agree. Schultz is basically better than Pickett imo. Thats how high I rate him.

Chol is reportedly a really lazy guy. But ye i get. I see the Schultz stuff now this is bs, thats one player that if he was available we shouldve thrown everything at him. Im feeling pretty frustrated at our list management, Schultz would've been the perfect recruit, wouldve completely made our trade period. Now Coll get better and more dangerous and we get nthn, great.

We just held Spargo to his contract, we won’t bring in a small forward

Just announced on trade radio.

I don't want Ginnivan. He's a spud that could only hit the scoreboard when he flops. Also, questionable character with his off field shenanigans

Chandler is 23 with 27 games and 19 goals
Ginni is 20 with 42 games and 58 games
Still has some growing up to do yes but I still think he has a high ceiling

100% agree. Schultz is basically better than Pickett imo. Thats how high I rate him.
diff players, but ye i agree, we should be trying to pry him from the pies before that deal is done. Just because hes requested it doesnt mean its a done deal, why would we swoop in and offer an extra yr and an extra 100k a yr. We're just so comfy with not trying to make big moves.

On a diff note, apparently WC are making a move for Jack Darling, another key fwd that wouldve been handy albeit he's again a bit washed. I gotta go do something else coz trade period is frustrating lol.

Reckon we're not giving JVR enough credit tbh. Is he ready to lead a forward line just yet? No, but he averaged 1.4 goals a game across 20 games this year as a 20-year-old, which compares pretty favourably to the current day gun KPFs.

Hawkins
  • First year: 1.3 goals, 9 games
  • At age 20: 1.3 goals, 10 games
Lynch
  • First year: 1.1 goals, 13 games
  • At age 20: 0.7 goals, 17 games
Curnow
  • First year: 0.8 goals, 6 games
  • At age 20: 0.9 goals, 21 games
J Cameron
  • First year: 1.8 goals, 16 games
  • At age 20: 3.0 goals, 21 games (the obvious exception)
Walker
  • First year: Didn't play
  • At age 20: 1.9 goals, 18 games (this was his third year on the list)
McKay
  • At age 20: 1.5 goals, 2 games
J Riewoldt
  • First year: 0.9 goals, 8 games
  • At age 20: 1.0 goals, 18 games
Allen
  • First year: 0 goals, 2 games
B King
  • First year: 1.2 goals, 14 games
  • At age 20: 1.5 goals, 17 games
M King
  • At age 20: 1.2 goals, 18 games
I'm not saying JVR is going to necessarily reach the level of the above players, but at the same age, he's very much at the level most of them were.

He might not be dominating just yet, but between him and the prospects of Petty and Jefferson, there's still something to work with.

By what metric? Schultz is about to turn 26 and his career-best goal tally is 33.

Pickett has kicked 41, 40 and 37 by the age of 22 (granted, Schultz did average three more disposals than him this year).

We just held Spargo to his contract, we won’t bring in a small forward
Dont see why keeping Spargo doesnt mean we shouldnt make a huge play for Schultz. Kozzy being our only dangerous small fwd is not good enough. Love Nibbler he works hard, but the Chandler/Spargo type can 100% be upgraded. We have Grundy's money coming off the books, unless theres some big back ended contracts surely we have room to go after someone. :huh::think::rainbow:

Reckon we're not giving JVR enough credit tbh. Is he ready to lead a forward line just yet? No, but he averaged 1.4 goals a game across 20 games this year as a 20-year-old, which compares pretty favourably to the current day gun KPFs.

Hawkins
Lynch
Curnow
J Cameron
Walker
McKay
J Riewoldt
Allen
B King
M King
I'm not saying JVR is going to necessarily reach the level of the above players, but at the same age, he's very much at the level most of them were.

He might not be dominating just yet, but between him and the prospects of Petty and Jefferson, there's still something to work with.
I believe he will be a very good player but he is still very young. He absolutely could step up next year but it's still a lot of faith to put on a kid when you're trying to win a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins
Lynch
Curnow
J Cameron
Walker
McKay
J Riewoldt
Allen
B King
M King

Dont think anyone is saying JVR isnt our future, hopefully we extend him next yr, just could use a 3rd key tall to provide some injury insurance for him and Petty and someone else to take a good key defender while we wait for Jefferson to be ready.

Dont think anyone is saying JVR isnt our future, hopefully we extend him next yr, just could use a 3rd key tall to provide some injury insurance for him and Petty and someone else to take a good key defender while we wait for Jefferson to be ready.

To be fair we should aim to have 3 key talls.

Will only ever be 2 available up forward at any given time anyway when considering injuries/suspensions/form/pinch hitting in ruck/sitting on bench

By what metric? Schultz is about to turn 26 and his career-best goal tally is 33.

Pickett has kicked 41, 40 and 37 by the age of 22 (granted, Schultz did average three more disposals than him this year).
Game sense. Pickett has none of that. Dumb frees off the ball, 50m penalties, not slowing down to do basic crumbing, flying for marks he never takes etc. Freakish skills but he has no game sense. You're probably right though. Pickett is probably ahead but not by that much. Moreso because I rate Schultz.

I believe he will be a very good player but he is still very young. He absolutely could step up next year but it's still a lot of faith to put on a kid when you're trying to win a flag.
Agree, but he still kicked 28 goals with some of the most diabolical entries imaginable.

If that gets addressed, with another preseason there's no reason he can't push that to 35-40 next year. Throw in 30 or so (?) from a fit Petty, Fritsch getting back to his usual 50+, Pickett with his standard 40 and 20-30 each from Trac, Chandler and McAdam, and there's still a fair bit of firepower, even if we lack that real superstar forward.

I agree that I would've liked us to target a KPF more, but realistically, it's all going to come down to how we move the ball. With better entries (huge 'if'), that forward line could still look pretty good.

Game sense. Pickett has none of that. Dumb frees off the ball, 50m penalties, not slowing down to do basic crumbing, flying for marks he never takes etc. Freakish skills but he has no game sense. You're probably right though. Pickett is probably ahead but not by that much. Moreso because I rate Schultz.
Fair enough – not denying Schultz is a good player btw. Smart footballer

Reckon I need to log off BF. I'm constantly fluctuating between thinking that we're going to drop off and re-tool next year, but then thinking that realistically, with some tweaks to our gameplan, we could still be thereabouts.

A forward line rotation of JVR, Petty, Fritsch, Petracca, Pickett, McAdam, Chandler and ANB has the capacity to either look really dangerous and versatile, or complete garbage based on how we move the ball lol. Guess that's what it mostly comes down to.

I suspect Adelaide wins out for P10 as they will have the best F1 on offer out of North (will use there PP), Dees and Adelaide.

Reminiscent of last years trade period where we wanted to trade up the draft and absolutely failed to.

This about sums up Kozzy's issues tbh. He can be the best small fwd in the comp if he addressed a few things and he's still so young. Rkn he needs to watch how Charlie Cameron plays and learn a few things. He needs to stop flying for marks, he literally jumps for every single mark when he should never be jumping and should be front and centre or out the back. Would kick 30 goals a yr more if he stopped freaking flying for marks not to mention he just gets in the way of guys like JVR or Smith etc who actually have a chance at taking the mark. Anyways its not a Kozzy thread but man he needs to get smarter.

I suspect Adelaide wins out for P10 as they will have the best F1 on offer out of North (will use there PP), Dees and Adelaide.

Reminiscent of last years trade period where we wanted to trade up the draft and absolutely failed to.
It's not just a future first for 10 its gonna be more points this yr as well that GC are chasing, we absolutely have the firepower to get this done if we want, just a question of what the price is, if the price is anything like 4 i dont want it lol.

Reckon I need to log off BF. I'm constantly fluctuating between thinking that we're going to drop off and re-tool next year, but then thinking that realistically, with some tweaks to our gameplan, we could still be thereabouts.

A forward line rotation of JVR, Petty, Fritsch, Petracca, Pickett, McAdam, Chandler and ANB has the capacity to either look really dangerous and versatile, or complete garbage based on how we move the ball lol. Guess that's what it mostly comes down to.
I think Mcadam will be great for us. something different. Whatever we get for Grundy we'll forward to Adelaide I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back