Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:

Well he's 195cm, that's enough for first tall. But in terms of presence I understand what you're saying. This is the main weakness to his game. But he won't be any worse than Wattsy.
Yeh you know what I meant. He plays like a tall flanker, rather than a true 195cm KPF.

He's moves a bit like a tall Bailey Fritsch (but not showing the talent of Fritsch at this stage).

A key tall as a trade target would be great, especially if Petty goes, but I still think our bigger issues are gamestyle going forward and kicking skills delivering the footy inside 50.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Absolutely issues outside of just personnel - But we could be facing an offseason where we lose Brown, TMac, Petty and Schache. Not that the majority of that list are great, but that's a lot of key forwards to lose in one go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely issues outside of just personnel - But we could be facing an offseason where we lose Brown, TMac, Petty and Schache. Not that the majority of that list are great, but that's a lot of key forwards to lose in one go.

This is where Danster's idea of drafting 8 KPFs each offseason needs to be realised.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeh not the best piece of list management here unfortunately.

I don’t lay huge blame anywhere though - not our fault if Petty wants to leave for home and there weren’t any more obvious KPF options than Jefferson last year.

Yeh not the best piece of list management here unfortunately.

I don’t lay huge blame anywhere though - not our fault if Petty wants to leave for home and there weren’t any more obvious KPF options than Jefferson last year.

Yeah, they would have had Jackson and Petty as options, along with a developing JVR, while bringing in some depth, so agree with you that it's tricky to put a lot of blame on. Plus, I'll hold fire until we see what we do with the Petty currency (should he leave) and otherwise; in terms of what we bring in next year.

Yeah, they would have had Jackson and Petty as options, along with a developing JVR, while bringing in some depth, so agree with you that it's tricky to put a lot of blame on. Plus, I'll hold fire until we see what we do with the Petty currency (should he leave) and otherwise; in terms of what we bring in next year.
Bloody hell imagine we still had Jackson and Petty was staying!

Yeah our tall stocks are woeful really. The only really decent prospects we have are JVR and Petty. Petty more than likely leaving. Brown, TMac, Schache all no good and most likely gone by 2025. Jefferson and Adams havent shown much at all(still time though). No young ruck pushing through. Tomlinson is borderline delist. May and Gawn a season or two away from the cliff.

I just think Curtin or O'Sullivan was more needed this draft than a winger. We traded in Fullerton, but from what I've seen of him, he's not very good at all. It's a worry.

Yeah our tall stocks are woeful really. The only really decent prospects we have are JVR and Petty. Petty more than likely leaving. Brown, TMac, Schache all no good and most likely gone by 2025. Jefferson and Adams havent shown much at all(still time though). No young ruck pushing through. Tomlinson is borderline delist. May and Gawn a season or two away from the cliff.

I just think Curtin or O'Sullivan was more needed this draft than a winger. We traded in Fullerton, but from what I've seen of him, he's not very good at all. It's a worry.
but that's dangerous territory. Drafting needs over best available. It's why the Saints drafted Pat Mccartin over Petracca. Or why we picked Jack Watts full stop. If the club rated O'Sullivan as equal to Windsor then we would've opted for team needs but they obviously rated them as worse players.

but that's dangerous territory. Drafting needs over best available. It's why the Saints drafted Pat Mccartin over Petracca. Or why we picked Jack Watts full stop. If the club rated O'Sullivan as equal to Windsor then we would've opted for team needs but they obviously rated them as worse players.

I understand your point, but sometimes you need to assess what is happening with the league. The market for KPD's is absolutely borked - I can't recall a time when 4-5 clubs were frothing all over themselves to sign a spud like Ben McKay for $5m/6years. Any KPD that had the mildest amount of AFL ability was highly coveted this year.

Hell, the Crows were balls-deep into poaching Petty (busted foot and all) and he wasn't officially on the market.

Paddy McCartin was rated by most pundits as a top 1-2 selection. But the market for KPF at the time was stupid, and the consensus was that you can't win a flag without a spearhead. Tom Boyd was the #1 pick the year before and bounced to the Bulldogs a year later for a $6m/6years which probably spooked the Saints into taking McCartin rather than taking the chance on Petracca and trying to sign/trade for a KPF later.

Agree to a certain extent. All the mail was that this draft was all about the top 4 or 5 then it fell away. Was there a lot of difference in quality between Windsor/Curtin/O'Sullivan? Time will tell, but clearly our depth in talls is a major concern.

Agree to a certain extent. All the mail was that this draft was all about the top 4 or 5 then it fell away. Was there a lot of difference in quality between Windsor/Curtin/O'Sullivan? Time will tell, but clearly our depth in talls is a major concern.
definitely a major concern. Let's go back to when I was widely criticised for saying we needed to draft 5 key forwards. Turns out I was spot on. As if you draft 5 or 6, 2 or 3 will work out.

definitely a major concern. Let's go back to when I was widely criticised for saying we needed to draft 5 key forwards. Turns out I was spot on. As if you draft 5 or 6, 2 or 3 will work out.
I think we needed to draft at least 1 key tall this draft. 5 in the one area of the ground is madness. But we are now in a position where our best young tall prospect wants to go back to Adelaide and our two best tall players are at the end of their career, yet we really don't have any other prospects that look decent other than JVR(assuming Petty leaves). It's early, but I'm not sold on Jefferson or Adams. Both have time, but have shown very little at the lower level so far and Brown and Tmac will just get in Jeffe's way of development. Trading for talls is very very costly, so it's odd we didn't go into this draft looking for 1 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back