Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
How about something like this trade probably need couple other picks somewhere thoughts?

Melbourne send 5, 15, 34 to west coast 3532pts for pick 1, west coast send 15, 19 2060pts to Gold Coast for pick 4 2034pts, west coast send 4, 5 =3912pts to north for pic 2 & 16 = 3584pts

melbourne pick 1

west coast pick 2 & 16

north pick 4 & 5
You are kidding right?

JHF and Tom Boyd were both under contract when traded out. Having a 4 year deal from the draft won't do much if another club is willing to stump up a godfather offer for them.
Maybe the league could try some sort of trade embargo on draftees, but even then if some bloke is really wanting out it's better to just do the deal. Clubs can take the picks and move on.

A 3-4 year deal might not stop the Godfather offers but I reckon at the very least it’ll force the raiding club to stump up more than they’d prefer to. Even that’d be a win. It would serve as some sort of deterrent.

Gets you Curtin and an extra first round pick.

This trade only works if you guys are adament on Curtin. Otherwise yes you’ll get better offers but won’t secure your Perth boy.
We got 8 & 13 for pick 2 last year.

We give away 1 & 19 for 2 & 16 this year. Deal of the century, where do we sign up?

And GC will get better deals than that.

Gets you Curtin and an extra first round pick.

This trade only works if you guys are adament on Curtin. Otherwise yes you’ll get better offers but won’t secure your Perth boy.
Reid is a far greater priority for us than Curtin.
I don't think a pick that will likely end up in the 20s is going to be remotely considered for us to swap our preferences for our first pick (which IMO shouldn't be Curtin even if we have pick 2).

How big are you on the Harley Reid pick?

When it comes to a godfather offer, what would you offer up?

I am assuming you do not want to move on any quality players and not interested in list cloggers, so it comes down to picks.

You have the following collateral

Pick 5/6 (Freo - set at 5 but may slide back with McKay FA Compo)
Pick 15/19 (Mlb R1 depending on finals and could also slide back with McKay and Parish FA compo)
Pick 24/28 (Freo - set at 24 but could slide back 3 to 4 places with other FA plus above and more with bid matches)
Pick 34/38 (Mlb R2 - refer above)
Future R1 which I value as a very back end R1 in 2024
Whatever you get for a Grundy trade - so likely to be a R2 so roughly 30.

Would you go Texas no limits style and go the whole hog? Your list does not call out for much so 1 absolute star makes more sense for you than us.

It is overs but that is what a godfather offer needs to be. I am sure West Coast could return you with 54 and 57 (I have not bothered to calculate what these might be as they start off poor but come in quick once the points are eaten up with NGA and F/S with 30 and 40 range picks

What does that look like? Assuming even more compromise in R1 and end of R1: -

1693285925789.png
It would need to be offered up early as a way for West Coast to start negotiations with the Suns and Hawks about getting up earlier and hence giving a significant premium away. I would want to be landing at least 1 pick in the top 3/4 and another around 10 as my targets would be McKercher and Murphy plus one of the running HBF on offer plus something next year.

I fear the Suns pick will be expensive as the Doggies with 10 and 17 are likely to set the market and there is a drop off after Reid, McKercher, Duursma, Curtin and Watson (excluding the NGA talent).

I would take less IF those tin rattlers from Arden St do not get a band 1 compo, hence you keep one of your R2 or Grundy trade picks.

How big are you on the Harley Reid pick?

When it comes to a godfather offer, what would you offer up?

I am assuming you do not want to move on any quality players and not interested in list cloggers, so it comes down to picks.

You have the following collateral

Pick 5/6 (Freo - set at 5 but may slide back with McKay FA Compo)
Pick 15/19 (Mlb R1 depending on finals and could also slide back with McKay and Parish FA compo)
Pick 24/28 (Freo - set at 24 but could slide back 3 to 4 places with other FA plus above and more with bid matches)
Pick 34/38 (Mlb R2 - refer above)
Future R1 which I value as a very back end R1 in 2024
Whatever you get for a Grundy trade - so likely to be a R2 so roughly 30.

Would you go Texas no limits style and go the whole hog? Your list does not call out for much so 1 absolute star makes more sense for you than us.

It is overs but that is what a godfather offer needs to be. I am sure West Coast could return you with 54 and 57 (I have not bothered to calculate what these might be as they start off poor but come in quick once the points are eaten up with NGA and F/S with 30 and 40 range picks

What does that look like? Assuming even more compromise in R1 and end of R1: -

View attachment 1789335
It would need to be offered up early as a way for West Coast to start negotiations with the Suns and Hawks about getting up earlier and hence giving a significant premium away. I would want to be landing at least 1 pick in the top 3/4 and another around 10 as my targets would be McKercher and Murphy plus one of the running HBF on offer plus something next year.

I fear the Suns pick will be expensive as the Doggies with 10 and 17 are likely to set the market and there is a drop off after Reid, McKercher, Duursma, Curtin and Watson (excluding the NGA talent).

I would take less IF those tin rattlers from Arden St do not get a band 1 compo, hence you keep one of your R2 or Grundy trade picks.

5, 15 & Van Rooyen

or

4 & 5 if we get the GC pick

I think these are about the best offers we’ll be able to table. No idea whether they constitute ‘Godfather’ but pretty damn good imo.

5, 15 & Van Rooyen

or

4 & 5 if we get the GC pick

I think these are about the best offers we’ll be able to table.
**** this. Two first rounders and our most promising key forward since Hogan (in a position we are otherwise bereft of talent). For a bloke who hasn't played a game.

I guess you do not value Harley Reid that highly.

That would be a pass by the length of the Nullarbor Plane.
* this. Two first rounders and our most promising key forward since Hogan (in a position we are otherwise bereft of talent). For a bloke who hasn't played a game.

Blokes from both sides hate it which means it might be close to the mark.

I guess you do not value Harley Reid that highly.

That would be a pass by the length of the Nullarbor Plane.
Yeah well if you're demanding more than what you got for Judd for a 17 year old who has never set foot at the top level you're dreaming.

From our perspective we're spending our whole draft hand and making our team worse by making that deal. If we had two other gun key forwards on the list you might take a look at it but we don't.

From our perspective we're spending our whole draft hand and making our team worse by making that deal. If we had two other gun key forwards on the list you might take a look at it but we don't.

I get that it weakens the forward line but it’s Harley Reid, supposedly an iron clad generational superstar.

We’re not getting him unless we cough up and it burns in the guts a bit. I agree it may be too much to pay but the offers I’ve suggested are realistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not rate van Rooyen as a KPF as highly as you. I watch a lot of WA U18 football and am a member at Claremont watching a heap of JVR games. I like him but he is undersized. We have plenty of those already and I want my KPF's to be 196 to 200 cm.

This offer is not close to the tempting me to give up Harley so no drama, we stay put.

I get that it weakens the forward line but it’s Harley Reid, supposedly an iron clad generational superstar.

We’re not getting him unless we cough up. I agree it may be too much to pay but the offers I’ve suggested are realistic.
Geez you've changed your tune on this. A few weeks ago you were much more cautious.

Nothing is certain in this game and I've heard the same thing about Reid that I've heard about many players before. Even the ones who become guns rarely live up to the hype. Just ask yourself would you offer the same deal for Jason Horne Francis right now? What about Sam Walsh or Matt Rowell? Cause all those guys were getting the same level of hype as Reid, and yeah they're good players, but they aint worth ruining your structure while your in a premiership window.

Anyway this thread is getting a real go of BigFooty posters acting like they're list managers now so that's fun.

Fact is West Coast have said they're open for business and will probably have a dozen clubs offering them something to get their hands on Reid. Will be nothing if not an entertaining trade period.

I do not rate van Rooyen as a KPF as highly as you. I watch a lot of WA U18 football and am a member at Claremont watching a heap of JVR games. I like him but he is undersized. We have plenty of those already and I want my KPF's to be 196 to 200 cm.

This offer is not close to the tempting me to give up Harley so no drama, we stay put.

‘Undersized key forward’ is an oft used but fairly meaningless throwaway term. Charlie Curnow just won his second Coleman. He’s 194cm. We drafted Watts and Weideman as top ten pick 196/97cm key talls. Both were rubbish. If you can play you can play and I’m confident in saying Van Rooyen is going to be a quality AFL forward for the next ten years. He’s a very good prospect.

Doesn’t appeal to you no dramas. Maybe the WC top brass think differently.

Last edited:
Geez you've changed your tune on this. A few weeks ago you were much more cautious.

Nothing is certain in this game and I've heard the same thing about Reid that I've heard about many players before. Even the ones who become guns rarely live up to the hype. Just ask yourself would you offer the same deal for Jason Horne Francis right now? What about Sam Walsh or Matt Rowell? Cause all those guys were getting the same level of hype as Reid, and yeah they're good players, but they aint worth ruining your structure while your in a premiership window.

Anyway this thread is getting a real go of BigFooty posters acting like they're list managers now so that's fun.

Fact is West Coast have said they're open for business and will probably have a dozen clubs offering them something to get their hands on Reid. Will be nothing if not an entertaining trade period.

My tune’s pretty much the same on it. I’m more just playing Devil’s Advocate with this West Coast poster. 5, 15 & JVR would be an amazing offer for a re-building wooden spooner like them.

I’m just saying that’s probably in the vicinity of what it would take. I don’t know if I’d actually go through with it though. It may be too much you’re right.

We got 8 & 13 for pick 2 last year.

We give away 1 & 19 for 2 & 16 this year. Deal of the century, where do we sign up?

And GC will get better deals than that.

Reid is a far greater priority for us than Curtin.
I don't think a pick that will likely end up in the 20s is going to be remotely considered for us to swap our preferences for our first pick (which IMO shouldn't be Curtin even if we have pick 2).

Sorry I missed the addition of pick 19 in there as well.

B
‘Undersized key forward’ is an oft used but fairly meaningless throwaway term. Charlie Curnow just won his second Coleman. He’s 194cm. We drafted Watts and Weideman as top ten pick 196/97cm key talls. Both were rubbish. If you can play you can play and I’m confident in saying Van Rooyen is going to be a quality AFL forward for the next ten years. He’s a very good prospect.

Doesn’t appeal to you no dramas. Maybe the WC top brass think differently than you.
Bloke by the name of Jack Riewoldt went alright.. kicked over 700 goals and was listed at 193cm tall.

My tune’s pretty much the same on it. I’m more just playing Devil’s Advocate with this West Coast poster. 5, 15 & JVR would be an amazing offer for a re-building wooden spooner like them.

I’m just saying that’s probably in the vicinity of what it would take. I don’t know if I’d actually go through with it though. It may be too much you’re right.
Fair enough. For mine a reasonable offer would be 4,5 and change if we can get it or 5, 15 and our FF.

But yeah, JVR is just worth more to us than the Eagles right now.

Only 16 disposals for Curtin in this one but he made the most of them, helping Claremont to secure a finals birth in their final regular season game with his rebounding run and creative disposal.

Not a bad suggestion but not sure North would opt out of taking Harley Reid, even to end up with pick 4 and 5. They'll have other good picks this draft to take other talent, but with Reid being a Victorian and rated as highly as he is can't see them missing the chance to take him.

If West Coast were prepared to do that deal to give us pick 1, North could offer a better deal for it.
Dreamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back