Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Surely we ask for Ports 37 and F2 for Grundy. Or their F1 with our F2 going back.

29 year old Lobb went for P30 and F2 and wasn’t contracted.

Port are the ones coming hard as well and it’s not like we have anywhere else to spend that 650k going into 2024 to improve our list in other ways.

It’s one we can hold firm on and it will be on Port to get the deal done. Not us.

They'd be trading so their academy selections don't eat up a first rounder. From that perspective it doesn't really matter if they get unders. the trouble is it puts them behind on points. So they've gotta find those elsewhere.
Yeah guess what I mean is it's no value to GC unless they on trade next year's first from WC into a stack of other picks for this year. Why would they bother when they can just trade the pick they currently have

Yeah guess what I mean is it's no value to GC unless they on trade next year's first from WC into a stack of other picks for this year. Why would they bother when they can just trade the pick they currently have
If I'm Gold Coast and Eagles offered that deal I'd be seeing if I could con a team into taking Mac Andrew for an early second.

Odds mean nothing. You're getting the favourable deal. Even if you finish 16th what's the incentive for GC to trade pick 4 now for pick 3 next year. Doesn't make any sense at all you're the one who wants the pick so you have to pay.
Of course you play the odds, it’s a calculated risk. The incentive is their pick 4/5/6 will get eaten up this year and anyone who thinks our F1 is not going to be pick 1 or 2 is going to be laughed out of the building. That will give them 3000 or 2517 points (in exchange for what’s probably going to 1751 points) or better yet they’ll get a top 1 or 2 player in addition to their ridiculous academy crop before bids. I think we’d also make it clear we’re taking Reid at one and not looking to bid on Walter. Not going to have a crack at anyone as a guest on your board but I think there’s a bit more incentive for GC than meets the eye. I’m more interested in what you guys think would be a fair bid for pick 1 given your massive draft hand

Of course you play the odds, it’s a calculated risk. The incentive is their pick 4/5/6 will get eaten up this year and anyone who thinks our F1 is not going to be pick 1 or 2 is going to be laughed out of the building. That will give them 3000 or 2517 points (in exchange for what’s probably going to 1751 points) or better yet they’ll get a top 1 or 2 player in addition to their ridiculous academy crop before bids. I think we’d also make it clear we’re taking Reid at one and not looking to bid on Walter. Not going to have a crack at anyone as a guest on your board but I think there’s a bit more incentive for GC than meets the eye. I’m more interested in what you guys think would be a fair bid for pick 1 given your massive draft hand
I don't think I'd pay over pick 4 and 5. Maybe the pick for Grundy as well but I think that's reasonable

On our current hand I'd probably say either:
5, 15, and FF or
5, 15/FF + 24 and 34.

On our current hand I'd probably say either:
5, 15, and FF or
5, 15/FF + 24 and 34.
I think on paper our recruiters would consider that. Problem is with academy/FS it’s going to be more like 8, 20 and 20 (FF VERY CONSERVATIVELY) or 8,20/20, 30 and 40 which doesn’t get looked at. It is also unlikely to get us curtain who we seem to be fixated on just because he’s a WA boy (who is Freo through and through). Any of your WA boys shown an interest in coming home? I wouldn’t.

I think on paper our recruiters would consider that. Problem is with academy/FS it’s going to be more like 8, 20 and 20 (FF VERY CONSERVATIVELY) or 8,20/20, 30 and 40 which doesn’t get looked at. It is also unlikely to get us curtain who we seem to be fixated on just because he’s a WA boy (who is Freo through and through). Any of your WA boys shown an interest in coming home? I wouldn’t.
Yeah I see what you're saying, I think it will come down to whether we land the GC pick which would use up about the same hand, but I think it would be irresponsible of us to spend more than three first rounders on one player. At the end of the day number 1 picks always get hyped and rarely live up to it even when they turn out to be guns. To put it in context the picks Adelaide offered for JHF ended up becoming Dawson, Rachele and Rankine. I reckon they'd be happy North didn't take it.

I can't see us trading any of our WA guys. They've all become pretty important structuraly for us. But I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I get too emotionally attached to the players I like lol.

Appreciate the feedback. I think on paper it’s a fair trade but given how much we need a strong contested ball beast I’d hope we’d knock it back. If the pick 1 was a player in any other position I’d take it in a heartbeat.

Yeah I see what you're saying, I think it will come down to whether we land the GC pick which would use up about the same hand, but I think it would be irresponsible of us to spend more than three first rounders on one player. At the end of the day number 1 picks always get hyped and rarely live up to it even when they turn out to be guns. To put it in context the picks Adelaide offered for JHF ended up becoming Dawson, Rachele and Rankine. I reckon they'd be happy North didn't take it.

I can't see us trading any of our WA guys. They've all become pretty important structuraly for us. But I'm probably the wrong person to ask as I get too emotionally attached to the players I like lol.
I think you’d have to pay overs to get the GCS pick then pay overs again to get the Reid pick. We obliterated 2 drafts to get Kelly and now we’re paying for it. In saying that I didn’t mind the logic which was go all in for another flag with a mature, proven midfielder, so I’m happy to deal with the consequences. The Adelaide example gets used a lot but to be fair they absolutely nailed those 3
picks and that’s not the norm. Whoever your WA talent scout is deserves to be made a life member of the club. Our club should be trying to bring him over.

You are kidding me. Why are you giving melb supporters false hope?

That trade gives us none of Curtin or McKercher. There's a vast drop off in talent from pick 5 and onwards and an evenness from 5 to 20. There was much more talent in the top 15 last year.

There are very little in the way of inside mid bulls this year and WCE are dead last and by some margin in contested ball.

Stop being a spokesman for WCE because you have NFI.

That trade gives us none of Curtin or McKercher. There's a vast drop off in talent from pick 5 and onwards and an evenness from 5 to 20. There was much more talent in the top 15 last year.

There are very little in the way of inside mid bulls this year and WCE are dead last and by some margin in contested ball.

Settle down kid, no one thinks supporter trades are real unless Danster signs off on em

Na bad luck Priddis Is Done , this @Deal Is Done , once someone agrees that its fair on big footy it must happen by law. Perhaps pick your club representative better next time. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve said all along we shouldn’t trade the pick under almost any circumstance. Reid is exactly what we need. If you actually read the post I said that ROB and the recruiters would look at it, not that we’d take it. Calm down.

I’ve said all along we shouldn’t trade the pick under almost any circumstance. Reid is exactly what we need. If you actually read the post I said that ROB and the recruiters would look at it, not that we’d take it. Calm down.
You need a lot though. And every club could do with Reid. I still think North will end up with Reid. The AFL will find a way to get him there. They'll 100% have the draft hand to offer overs if they get any assistance which looks likely.

I think you’d have to pay overs to get the GCS pick then pay overs again to get the Reid pick. We obliterated 2 drafts to get Kelly and now we’re paying for it. In saying that I didn’t mind the logic which was go all in for another flag with a mature, proven midfielder, so I’m happy to deal with the consequences. The Adelaide example gets used a lot but to be fair they absolutely nailed those 3
picks and that’s not the norm. Whoever your WA talent scout is deserves to be made a life member of the club. Our club should be trying to bring him over.
I mean the difference there is that Kelly was a proven gun and Reid has never played a single game, but yeah, you've pointed out the risk of doing massive deals like that.

Think the Adelaide example is absolutely relevant as we've got a pretty good record with first rounders over the past decade. Only a couple of duds over that journey. The more important question I guess is would West Coast back themselves in to find some good players with the same hand?

You need a lot though. And every club could do with Reid. I still think North will end up with Reid. The AFL will find a way to get him there. They'll 100% have the draft hand to offer overs if they get any assistance which looks likely.
We do. Which is why I thought I’d ask for some opinions from clubs who might be in a position to trade for the pick. Whilst the AFL would love that, I just think North don’t need another mid, they need to fix their KPPs outside of Larkey. If I were in our recruitment I can’t think of a realistic offer I’d accept for Reid.

I don’t think West Coast will take Reid, when you’re building from the bottom the last thing you need is constant speculation from 6 months into his career that all the Victorian clubs are offering him 8 year deals.

If that’s the case then North don’t need to trade up from 2 to get him unless it becomes clear WC are trading the pick.

And West Coast will be trying to get something more than 1 top player from their pick 1, without dropping too low to get Curtin.

I can see a complicated multi club pick swap with West Coast getting Gold Coast’s pick 4 and another top 10, with Gold Coast getting pick 1 and then trading it off to get the best points outcome they can.

Which puts us in the mix for 1 if we wanted it badly enough but it will be a pretty heavy price.

I don’t think West Coast will take Reid, when you’re building from the bottom the last thing you need is constant speculation from 6 months into his career that all the Victorian clubs are offering him 8 year deals.

If that’s the case then North don’t need to trade up from 2 to get him unless it becomes clear WC are trading the pick.

And West Coast will be trying to get something more than 1 top player from their pick 1, without dropping too low to get Curtin.

I can see a complicated multi club pick swap with West Coast getting Gold Coast’s pick 4 and another top 10, with Gold Coast getting pick 1 and then trading it off to get the best points outcome they can.

Which puts us in the mix for 1 if we wanted it badly enough but it will be a pretty heavy price.
Yeah this is what I've been saying. If Eagles are gonna take Curtin anyway they'd be silly not to try and get some value out of a pick 1 trade.

I reckon we should be having a look at Tom Lynch, providing his medicals come back looking ok. It probably depends on where Richmond think they are at with their list, would they be interested in getting back into the draft this year. He is 30, would our first rounder this year be fair?

I reckon we should be having a look at Tom Lynch, providing his medicals come back looking ok. It probably depends on where Richmond think they are at with their list, would they be interested in getting back into the draft this year. He is 30, would our first rounder this year be fair?
Ooh, that's a juicy thought.

How about something like this trade probably need couple other picks somewhere thoughts?

Melbourne send 5, 15, 34 to west coast 3532pts for pick 1, west coast send 15, 19 2060pts to Gold Coast for pick 4 2034pts, west coast send 4, 5 =3912pts to north for pic 2 & 16 = 3584pts

melbourne pick 1

west coast pick 2 & 16

north pick 4 & 5

How about something like this trade probably need couple other picks somewhere thoughts?

Melbourne send 5, 15, 34 to west coast 3532pts for pick 1, west coast send 15, 19 2060pts to Gold Coast for pick 4 2034pts, west coast send 4, 5 =3912pts to north for pic 2 & 16 = 3584pts

melbourne pick 1

west coast pick 2 & 16

north pick 4 & 5
Gold Coast wouldn't do that deal without a FF coming back their way.

melbourne pick 1

west coast pick 2 & 16

north pick 4 & 5
Not bad.

GC would just need a few more points though as they are pretty much coming out even here.

Reckon the Dees could throw in something a little extra.

melbourne pick 1

west coast pick 2 & 16

north pick 4 & 5
WC aren't giving us pick 1 for 5 and 15 lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back