Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
How about something like this trade probably need couple other picks somewhere thoughts?

Melbourne send 5, 15, 34 to west coast 3532pts for pick 1, west coast send 15, 19 2060pts to Gold Coast for pick 4 2034pts, west coast send 4, 5 =3912pts to north for pic 2 & 16 = 3584pts

melbourne pick 1

west coast pick 2 & 16

north pick 4 & 5

Not a bad suggestion but not sure North would opt out of taking Harley Reid, even to end up with pick 4 and 5. They'll have other good picks this draft to take other talent, but with Reid being a Victorian and rated as highly as he is can't see them missing the chance to take him.

If West Coast were prepared to do that deal to give us pick 1, North could offer a better deal for it.

WC aren't giving us pick 1 for 5 and 15 lol.
In that trade they end up with 2 and 16. There are some reports that they would even take Curtin over Reid with pick 1 anyway so in that scenario they are just getting 16 for free basically.

Not a bad suggestion but not sure North would opt out of taking Harley Reid, even to end up with pick 4 and 5. They'll have other good picks this draft to take other talent, but with Reid being a Victorian and rated as highly as he is can't see them missing the chance to take him.

If West Coast were prepared to do that deal to give us pick 1, North could offer a better deal for it.
Really comes down to whether North value an extra high quality player over Reid. Ball is really in their court.

In that trade they end up with 2 and 16. There are some reports that they would even take Curtin over Reid with pick 1 anyway so in that scenario they are just getting 16 for free basically.
I think on the open market they'll get a much better deal than we offer in that scenario

Really comes down to whether North value an extra high quality player over Reid. Ball is really in their court.

Yep. If they want Reid they'll get him.

Admittedly our two clubs are in totally different positions, but we'd have to have very different views on Reid's potential for us to give up most of our draft hand to get him and North to trade down because they opt out of taking him.

FWIW I'm usually of the view that getting two picks in the top 8 increases your odds of getting a superstar compared to just having a single top 2 pick. But given the wraps on Reid I'd guess that either North or Dees would maybe swap access to Reid for their choice of any other two players in the draft (ie McKercher and Duursma), but probably not for pick 4 and 5 (which will likely be 5 and 6 after Walter bid).

I think on the open market they'll get a much better deal than we offer in that scenario
Probably right. If we get the Gold Coast pick I don't think they'll get a much better deal than 4+5 and change. But if they want pick 2 as part of any deal they'd be getting less back no matter what.

It’s crazy the AFL still haven’t increased the contract duration for first round draft picks from 2 to 3 years. It would go a long way to dousing attempts by other clubs to wrench kids out of where they were initially drafted three seconds after they set foot in the joint. Hell I would even make it four years for picks 1 - 10, three years for picks 11 - 20, two years for the rest of the kids.

The Tom Scully, Horne-Francis situation and other situations like it should be made extremely difficult if not impossible to pull off. Dreadful for the competition.

It’s crazy the AFL still haven’t increased the contract duration for first round draft picks from 2 to 3 years. It would go a long way to dousing attempts by other clubs to wrench kids out of where they were initially drafted three seconds after they set foot in the joint. Hell I would even make it four years for picks 1 - 10, three years for picks 11 - 20, two years for the rest of the kids.

The Tom Scully, Horne-Francis situation and other situations like it should be made extremely difficult if not impossible to pull off. Dreadful for the competition.
Don't think contracts would have helped with Scully, GWS had free access to players, no one expected them to chase after kids

Don't think contracts would have helped with Scully, GWS had free access to players, no one expected them to chase after kids

If Scully had a three year initial contract GWS would’ve had to direct their attention elsewhere.

If it’s four years for top 10 picks it absolutely crushes chances of the kid getting wrenched out. Gives them proper time to bed in, build strong friendships, acclimate to living in a new state.

The way it’s currently set up with two years, with people talking about top draft picks walking before their name has even been called out, is just wrong. A bad look for the AFL.

If Scully had a three year initial contract GWS would’ve had to direct their attention elsewhere.

If it’s four years for top 10 picks it absolutely crushes chances of the kid getting wrenched out. Gives them proper time to bed in, build strong friendships, acclimate to living in a new state.

The way it’s currently set up with two years, with people talking about top draft picks walking before their name has even been called out, is just wrong. A bad look for the AFL.
Someone can correct me but I'm pretty sure contracts didn't mean anything when GWS went poaching. They were able to treat players as free agents regardless of remaining time on the contract

I agree with the 3 years though

Someone can correct me but I'm pretty sure contracts didn't mean anything when GWS went poaching. They were able to treat players as free agents regardless of remaining time on the contract

I agree with the 3 years though

GWS signed Scully at the end of his initial 2 year deal. He played those two full seasons at Melbourne. However the speculation on GWS going after him started 12 months earlier.

Speaking of Scully, if you were a team picking McKercher, I wonder how much weight you'd put into the Tassie factor. You can almost guarantee that they'd pour that big 'ambassador' money into recruiting him in a few years if he pans out well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of Scully, if you were a team picking McKercher, I wonder how much weight you'd put into the Tassie factor. You can almost guarantee that they'd pour that big 'ambassador' money into recruiting him in a few years if he pans out well.
What year can they start taking players?

People will be wary of the GC and GWS situations so hopefully kids won’t leave strong sides for a potential 10 year run towards the bottom.

GWS signed Scully at the end of his initial 2 year deal. He played those two full seasons at Melbourne. However the speculation on GWS going after him started 12 months earlier.
Yes but they didn't trade for him mate, they took him as a free agent which was only allowed because the AFL changed the rules. It's why we got a pick for him

I had a few comments about the poor disposal efficiency on the Duursma video from the same game as this. There was an extremely strong wind blowing across the ground which made it difficult for all players to find targets and judge marking attempts. The Wizard navigated the wind better than most on the day playing mostly on a wing. He showed that he can provide some value further up the ground, utilizing his blistering pace and creative field kicking.

Yes but they didn't trade for him mate, they took him as a free agent which was only allowed because the AFL changed the rules. It's why we got a pick for him

I can’t remember what the rules were. Just the general look of rival clubs putting contracts in front of first round draft picks before they’ve barely unpacked their bags at their first club. It’s terrible.

This is a good point re McKercher. This will definitely happen if he’s any good.

From memory the rule was that they could take players who were out of contract without needing to trade for them.

So they couldn’t have just taken Scully half way through his first 2 year deal, but once he was out of contract they could treat him like an unrestricted free agent (which was novel in itself at the time).

Teams who lost players in this manner were awarded compensation.

Player empowerment is more important than the club in my opinion. I have never been a fan of the draft for new players in any league. Same with this 'restricted free agent' bullshit.

If you want to make it fairer by balancing the interests between atheletes and clubs, then let the players nominate a contract length and price tag. Clubs can then make draft selections on the basis of who they want subject to agreeing to the players terms.

Ezpz

Mandatory 4-year contracts on a salary scale is a bad outcome for players. Scully was well within his right to chase money after fulfilling his contract; what 20 year old is turning down $6 million?!

Player empowerment is more important than the club in my opinion. I have never been a fan of the draft for new players in any league. Same with this 'restricted free agent' bullshit.

If you want to make it fairer by balancing the interests between atheletes and clubs, then let the players nominate a contract length and price tag. Clubs can then make draft selections on the basis of who they want subject to agreeing to the players terms.

Ezpz

Mandatory 4-year contracts on a salary scale is a bad outcome for players. Scully was well within his right to chase money after fulfilling his contract; what 20 year old is turning down $6 million?!

Without strong equalisation measures and certain restrictions 💯 you’ll very quickly end up getting an English premier league style ladder where the the top 6 clubs are pretty much pre-determined before a ball has been bounced to start a season.

It’s arguable the measures we’ve already got in place in the AFL do not go far enough. On average clubs spend far too long swirling around the bottom and the top ends of the ladder. This is not always down to good and bad management but a treacle slow equalisation system in place which does not account for variables such as bad luck or too much latitude for free agents to go to clubs of their choosing.

Players enjoy great benefits and salaries as AFL players. Freedom of movement should be an area they have to sacrifice in for the good of the product they get the rare opportunity to represent.

Who are some names we can look at as a cheapish but effective backup ruckman for Max in 2024, now that we’re 99% sure Grundy’s gawn.

What about a triumphant return for big Preussy? 206cm wrecking ball.

I can’t remember what the rules were. Just the general look of rival clubs putting contracts in front of first round draft picks before they’ve barely unpacked their bags at their first club. It’s terrible.
JHF and Tom Boyd were both under contract when traded out. Having a 4 year deal from the draft won't do much if another club is willing to stump up a godfather offer for them.
Maybe the league could try some sort of trade embargo on draftees, but even then if some bloke is really wanting out it's better to just do the deal. Clubs can take the picks and move on.

Who are some names we can look at as a cheapish but effective backup ruckman for Max in 2024, now that we’re 99% sure Grundy’s gawn.

What about a triumphant return for big Preussy? 206cm wrecking ball.

Soldo was in and out all season, maybe a sneaky chance to exit?

Sam Hayes from Port would be cheap, 24 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back