Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Unders according to the rest of the Eagles board.
Amazingly, you are correct. Just let them draft Reid, have him win four games in two seasons, then inevitably return to Victoria.

No kid is worth anywhere near that much. We're in our window now, and trading JVR + Rivers for Reid would make us instantly worse, not to mention the picks we'd be giving up, too.

Amazingly, you are correct. Just let them draft Reid, have him win four games in two seasons, then inevitably return to Victoria.

No kid is worth anywhere near that much. We're in our window now, and trading JVR + Rivers for Reid would make us instantly worse, not to mention the picks we'd be giving up, too.
Yep happy for us to offer what we reckon he's worth and if it doesn't happen no dramas going to the draft with the same hand.

Hayden McLean 4 years at swans so we can forget that

If we trade out Grundy surely we have ideas where to spend his cap space. Him and Tomlinson would be on a good 1m a year between them. Then we have May/Gawn contracts tapering, Lever no longer on huge cash he was when he came over and Melk/Hibberd likely off the books with all our stars locked away long term.

Surely is something in the works with our cap otherwise is makes SFA point to offload Grundy.

Personally hope we are gearing up to offer Butters a monster deal with pick 5/15 as trade bait but here I am dreaming.

If we trade out Grundy surely we have ideas where to spend his cap space. Him and Tomlinson would be on a good 1m a year between them. Then we have May/Gawn contracts tapering, Lever no longer on huge cash he was when he came over and Melk/Hibberd likely off the books with all our stars locked away long term.

Surely is something in the works with our cap otherwise is makes SFA point to offload Grundy.

Personally hope we are gearing up to offer Butters a monster deal with pick 5/15 as trade bait.

TMac & Brown finish up next year. Another 800-900k freed up you’d think.

Grundy -650k
Tomlinson -550k
Harmes - 550k
Hibberd & Melksham (700kish)
Dunstan - ~250k
Jordan - 250k

That’s already roughly 2.95m a year before we look at Gawn/May/Lever (new contract)/Brown/Mcdonald

We probably even got left over coin from Jackson leaving as well.

Surely we go offer Butters or Gulden 1.4m a year and sit back to see what happens. Hell I would even be happy to toss 1m at Sheezal or Ashcroft for kicks.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming back the other way though are the monster long term salaries of Tracc, Clarry, Gus, Jack. Some complicated calculating. Who knows what the bottom line is 🤷🏼‍♂️

Those are all locked in long term and already in motion. If we are managing them now as-is we should be sweet.

If Grundy /Harmes leave those salaries were already baked in next year. 1.2m , I am sure we kept spare change for Dunstan/Melksham/Hibberd as well for renewals. So let’s say minimum 250k each, gives us close to 2m splash around.

That’s not including Jordan or Tomlinson either.

Last edited:
Those are all locked in long term and already in motion. If we are managing them now as-is we should be sweet.

If Grundy /Harmes leave those salaries were already baked in next year. 1.2m , I am sure we kept spare change for Dunstan/Melksham/Hibberd as well for renewals. So let’s say minimum 250k each, gives us close to 2m splash around.

That’s not including Jordan or Tomlinson either.
That's not how a cap works. Those long term deals would have been budgeted with those savings you've called out already projected into them.

I'm not saying there will be nothing in the tank, but 2m is close to 20% of the cap - which is a significant underspend when you are forced to pay 95 and we are probably close to 100%.

If we do trade Brodie, we'll probably front load one or two of those long term deals a little more, giving us more space for next trade period - something (someone) we can plan for.

That's not how a cap works. Those long term deals would have been budgeted with those savings you've called out already projected into them.

I'm not saying there will be nothing in the tank, but 2m is close to 20% of the cap - which is a significant underspend when you are forced to pay 95 and we are probably close to 100%.

If we do trade Brodie, we'll probably front load one or two of those long term deals a little more, giving us more space for next trade period - something (someone) we can plan for.

Why would they budget with savings from Grundy when he has 4 years to go? Or Harmes with 1 year to go ect? Or Jackson leaving, or Jordan leaving.

Hope we go offer mammoth contracts to young kids like Butters/Gulden/Callahan/Rachelle/Ashcroft/Nick Martin/Sheezal/Serong/Owens ect and see what we can shake up.

If we could snare 2 of them with P5/15/24/35 and F1 we are laughing and avoid the lottery.

Grundy -650k
Tomlinson -550k
Harmes - 550k
Dunstan - ~250k
Jordan - 250k

That’s already roughly 2.95m a year before we look at Gawn/May/Lever (new contract)/Brown/Mcdonald

Surely we go offer Butters or Gulden 1.4m a year and sit back to see what happens. Hell I would even be happy to toss 1m at Sheezal or Ashcroft for kicks.

I'd say you estimate the $$ Tomlinson, Dunstan, Jordon and Harmes are on by 30% at least.

Grundy -650k
Tomlinson -550k
Harmes - 550k
Dunstan - ~250k
Jordan - 250k

This is kind of right. As Down the throat called out the long term deals for Oliver, Trac etc. were already anticipating the salary cap to go up, plus Melk, Hibbo, Brown and Tmac to retire this year or next - or if they kept on to be playing it would be for minimum chips.

They would’ve projected Harmes and Tomlinson to come off their ~500k deals down to something significantly less and approaching minimum chips. If those players had asked for similar coin it would’ve been “Sorry, you’re depth now, take this offer or thanks for your services and good luck.”. It’s probably what happened to Jayden Hunt.

They would’ve already projected May and Lever to be on lesser deals.

I’d reckon the coin that was budgeted for Jackson went to Grundy already.

I also think Jordon would be on less than 250k (guaranteed, maybe he was getting to that including match payments if he played a full year), and Dunstan they would’ve known wasn’t going to be around in 2024.

Melk and Hibbo would already be on minimum chips plus match payments, not 350k each. At their stage of their career nobody would’ve been trying to poach them at their last contract negotiation and their alternative would’ve probably been a sub $100k job in the regular work force.

So if Grundy goes that genuinely does free up 650k as that was put aside for the next four years. But that needs to be offset by 2-300k for the AFL competent second ruck Melbourne would need to find and pay in Grundy’s place.

The best the others leaving at the end of 2023 does is free up some space a year earlier than originally anticipated. Call it $350k from Grundy for the next four years (650k offset by 2-300k for the AFL ready ruck) plus another $500k being Tommo or Harmes but that saving is just for 2024.

There’s a bit of value in that extra space a year early because it can be used to pay more to Trac or Oliver in 2024 than originally projected, which then reduces what might’ve been projected to be paid to them in 2028 or whatever. It could also be used to pay out Brown to retire a year early, but all that does is create a spot on the list. Melbourne have lots of obvious ways to get list spots without needing to do early retirement pay outs.

Finally one other way to find some space is to ask Harmes or Tomlinson to split their 2024 500k across 2924 and 2025 at ~250k each year. It’s the same cap space all up, but it’s more money in Harmes or Tommo’s pocket because they aren’t getting taxed as highly by the ATO because they are getting the cash in two separate tax years instead of one. They also get another year at a club likely to be playing finals vs. playing for North or similar.

Potentially Melbourne could try and find an overpaid player, like Bowes, at a club with salary cap problems and use that unanticipated space to pay that player and also receive a draft pick. Not a pick 7 like Bowes, but something more like a 15-25 range pick.

Last edited:
I'll go on record and bet Reid won't have the best career from his draft class. Too many unknowns and it just never ends up that way - despite how hyped the kid is.

Does that mean we shouldn't trade 2 or 3 very good picks/pieces for the shot at him? Unsure. Definitely wouldn't include Riv/JVR as it makes us worse instantly. I'd rather take our picks and see what JT can do with them.

I'll go on record and bet Reid won't have the best career from his draft class. Too many unknowns and it just never ends up that way - despite how hyped the kid is.

Does that mean we shouldn't trade 2 or 3 very good picks/pieces for the shot at him? Unsure. Definitely wouldn't include Riv/JVR as it makes us worse instantly. I'd rather take our picks and see what JT can do with them.
Melbourne can’t lose here.

They won’t be spooked into selling the farm for Reid but could still land him if West Coast go for what Melbourne think is fair.

The fall back position is to keep Rivers and JvR and draft the 7th-10th best talent (after bids) with the Freo pick and probably another either in the top 10 (GC pick) or another couple of swings in the more speculative 20-30 range.

Why would they budget with savings from Grundy when he has 4 years to go? Or Harmes with 1 year to go ect? Or Jackson leaving, or Jordan leaving.

Hope we go offer mammoth contracts to young kids like Butters/Gulden/Callahan/Rachelle/Ashcroft/Nick Martin/Sheezal/Serong/Owens ect and see what we can shake up.

If we could snare 2 of them with P5/15/24/35 and F1 we are laughing and avoid the lottery.
Hahahaha this is a joke post right? 5/15 and 25 barely gets butters.

Nah, we just offer L.Mcdonald + Turner + pick 16 for pick 1. Or West Coast just use their first round pick for Curtain.Probkem solved.

Brilliant. Become known as a team who are a bunch of rip off campaigners so other clubs refuse to deal with you. Should work out great since you have no problem developing and holding onto players. 🎓

JVR talk is hilarious. A club with zero KPF depth trades away their only KPF and the rest of their draft picks for eternity for a type of player they already have. West Coast fans must really think every club is run as badly as theirs.

Remember when the Pies fans thought we'd trade JVR and a first for Grundy last year? Gotta love BF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back