Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
So Kynan Brown made it through. Must be some unwritten rule around not taking the piss and bidding early on F/S noms who are all but committed to. In Brown’s case he might just not be good enough to pick here but Vic Metro BnF sounds decent? Did he play most games in an average team or something?
He works hard and can find the ball bit I'd suggest his skills are too poor and athletically he isn't that gifted.

How dare you criticise him until he has spent at least 4 years clogging a list!
I'm not criticising the selection of Brown. Just suggesting why he wasn't taken in the draft.

if we pick him, I'll back the recruiting team and support him

I'm also a realist in that the odds of a lowly ranked player making the grade are greatly reduced.

He works hard and can find the ball bit I'd suggest his skills are too poor and athletically he isn't that gifted.
Pretty much the description of his Dad too - although his dad managed to play 100+ games.

He might be able to find a role.

I recall his Dad playing on small forwards and sometimes tagging through the midfield I think. Perhaps these are roles Kynan could work for.

So with Brown as a rookie and Hore SSP. Do we have any other spots to fill?

Not 100% on maths, but assuming all of Melksham, Brown and Hore are added to the rookie list and AMW is re-signed, then that takes us to 36 on the senior list, 6 rookies and 2 cat B rookies. That would mean we're at max.

The couple of queries could be though:

Why not upgrade McVee? Could have been rewarded with a senior spot without affecting the list numbers. Salary cap maybe?
What happens if Smith is suspended for the season (or worse)?

What did the picks we traded end up being?
As best as I can figure out, at the time of trading, Richmond had the pick immediately after us (28) which ended being traded to Freo at pick 35 (Cooper Simpson). Our pick 27 was eaten up as part of Gold Coast matching.

35 is harder to work out, but I think it was the 5th last pick of R2 at the time of trading which = Richmond at pick 40 (Kane McAuliffe).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to have a big watch on Jefferson and Adams this pre-season. We really need them both to get themselves up to the level of being senior selection options, even if only in case of several injuries. If not our depth of talls is absolutely woeful. Fullarton for Grundy, Brown and Tmac and Schache a year older and slower.

Hopefully Jefferson and Adams can step up and show they're going to make it. You'd have to think that the list management team must have some confidence they will, because it's not like we didn't have options to draft a tall defender or Caddy if they thought the need was great enough.

I'm going to have a big watch on Jefferson and Adams this pre-season. We really need them both to get themselves up to the level of being senior selection options, even if only in case of several injuries. If not our depth of talls is absolutely woeful. Fullarton for Grundy, Brown and Tmac and Schache a year older and slower.

Hopefully Jefferson and Adams can step up and show they're going to make it. You'd have to think that the list management team must have some confidence they will, because it's not like we didn't have options to draft a tall defender or Caddy if they thought the need was great enough.

Im not worried about the forward line too much. Think we have plenty of options and different set ups we can go with. Am concerned about defense if May was to go down.

Our ball movement the key preseason watch as always. If we play the way we have the past couple of years ill be absolutely disgusted. Hopefully with Grundy moving on (in turn not having Gawn as a KPF) and us selecting Windsor it signals a shift of game plan.

Watching the ball movement in preseason is worthless to me now. Last year we looked a lot slicker in preseason, only for our players when challenged after the mid point of the year go back to long down the line

Watching the ball movement in preseason is worthless to me now. Last year we looked a lot slicker in preseason, only for our players when challenged after the mid point of the year go back to long down the line

We were still bombing it forward cause we had Gawn and Grundy parked inside F50 wth their hand in the air.

I think the coach brought back #Themelbourneway cause he was getting concerned about the backline leaking goals.

Im not worried about the forward line too much. Think we have plenty of options and different set ups we can go with. Am concerned about defense if May was to go down.

Our ball movement the key preseason watch as always. If we play the way we have the past couple of years ill be absolutely disgusted. Hopefully with Grundy moving on (in turn not having Gawn as a KPF) and us selecting Windsor it signals a shift of game plan.

Fair but I'm not going to fall into the trap of hoping our ball movement will be sorted out by next year. Was all the talk last pre-season but by finals time it was no better than it had been at the worst of the previous year. Prefer to hope for something that might actually happen one day like a first round draft pick eventually nudging ahead of Brown/Tmac/Schache.

Fair but I'm not going to fall into the trap of hoping our ball movement will be sorted out by next year. Was all the talk last pre-season but by finals time it was no better than it had been at the worst of the previous year. Prefer to hope for something that might actually happen one day like a first round draft pick eventually nudging ahead of Brown/Tmac/Schache.

When Oliver and Grundy went out of the side in the second half of the year I thought it looked promising and far less predictable. We tightened up in finals, went back to our predictable set up and ways, be it the coach and or players. Played to keep the scores close and not to get beaten by much rather than trying to win. Typical MFC garbage of the past two years in big games.

We were still bombing it forward cause we had Gawn and Grundy parked inside F50 wth their hand in the air.

I think the coach brought back #Themelbourneway cause he was getting concerned about the backline leaking goals.
Fair point. I think when we are challenged we crumble and go back into old habits. Sometimes we challenge those habits but after the bye we seem to fall back into them completely whenever a team brings heat

Team selection in round 1 will tell the tale if Petty isn't back by then.

Brown, TMac, Schache or Fullerton shouldn't be anywhere near the side if we are serious. We've traded for McAdam, can use Trac forward, Tholstrup, Billings, there are plenty of options. Should be JVR as our lone tall and thats it.

Team selection in round 1 will tell the tale if Petty isn't back by then.

Brown, TMac, Schache or Fullerton shouldn't be anywhere near the side if we are serious. We've traded for McAdam, can use Trac forward, Tholstrup, Billings, there are plenty of options. Should be JVR as our lone tall and thats it.
who's gonna give max a chop out in the ruck? surely he couldnt go all year playing close to full games in the ruck, it's going to be a point of concern

who's gonna give max a chop out in the ruck? surely he couldnt go all year playing close to full games in the ruck, it's going to be a point of concern

He doesn't have to ruck all over the ground. Forward 50 is JVRs. Can still come off the ground for a rest and give JVR a 10 min run while we go with Fritsch and Trac as our KPFs. Brown and TMac offer nothing as KPFs, both piss weak in the air, both absolutely useless in the ruck also.

Maybe Fullerton can become a KPF second ruck if Petty is out, not going to hold my breath on what I've seen but you never know.

Will be disgusted if we go with a 3 KPF setup of JVR, Petty and Fullerton/Schache. Heaven forbid JVR, Petty and Brown/TMac 🤮

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back