Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Why's that?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Top-tier DH if some of the things floating around about him are true.

I'm going to have a big watch on Jefferson and Adams this pre-season. We really need them both to get themselves up to the level of being senior selection options, even if only in case of several injuries. If not our depth of talls is absolutely woeful. Fullarton for Grundy, Brown and Tmac and Schache a year older and slower.

Hopefully Jefferson and Adams can step up and show they're going to make it. You'd have to think that the list management team must have some confidence they will, because it's not like we didn't have options to draft a tall defender or Caddy if they thought the need was great enough.
I think Jefferson and Adams will unlikely play much if any footy this year. Both need a fair bit of development. Happy to see them get a chance next year especially Jefferson but they likely need more development and Adams has had a few injuries so can see him especially needing more VFL time.

He doesn't have to ruck all over the ground. Forward 50 is JVRs. Can still come off the ground for a rest and give JVR a 10 min run while we go with Fritsch and Trac as our KPFs. Brown and TMac offer nothing as KPFs, both piss weak in the air, both absolutely useless in the ruck also.

Maybe Fullerton can become a KPF second ruck if Petty is out, not going to hold my breath on what I've seen but you never know.

Will be disgusted if we go with a 3 KPF setup of JVR, Petty and Fullerton/Schache. Heaven forbid JVR, Petty and Brown/TMac 🤮
I'd be concerned about JVR's physical ability to play as a lone key forward plus do a bit of ruckwork around the ground if Gawn is off the ground, dont get me wrong I'd prefer not to have tmac or BBB in the team either, but i've got a feeling we will roll out with one of them in round 1. Either that or maybe smith gets a run as the other tall forward. I just can't see us playing one tall forward though.

I think Jefferson and Adams will unlikely play much if any footy this year. Both need a fair bit of development. Happy to see them get a chance next year especially Jefferson but they likely need more development and Adams has had a few injuries so can see him especially needing more VFL time.
The development of Adams and Jefferson is key. Our tall depth is wafer thin and about to get even thinner when Brown and Tmac retire, and potentially Petty leaves. Adams improved a little as the year went on. Jefferson it was hard to tell as he either had a crowded forwardline or no forwardline to work with. I feel for the bloke. Adams looks a likely replacement for Petty, so i really hope he comes on. Could go either way with these two. The sad thing is, we're a May or Gawn injury away from folding still. No back up ruck and no one who can come close to replacing May(Petty maybe but then our F50 looks incredibly shallow).

We were still bombing it forward cause we had Gawn and Grundy parked inside F50 wth their hand in the air.

I think the coach brought back #Themelbourneway cause he was getting concerned about the backline leaking goals.

Reckon we attacked the game the right way for the first 5 weeks, but after conceding high scores to Brisbane and Essendon we crapped our pants. I don't really count the Richmond games as they were horrific defensively all year but we did start coming out of our shell a bit with Petty hitting form, then he did his ankle and we were stuffed. Even though we beat the Hawks and the Swans in hindsight the signs that our scoring woes were back in a big way were really starting to come out, then absolutely stuffed us in the finals.

If this clown coach doesn't change the way we play next year you can completely write off this group, because they sure as hell aren't sacking him and we are too good to 'completely' fall apart.

I'd be concerned about JVR's physical ability to play as a lone key forward plus do a bit of ruckwork around the ground if Gawn is off the ground, dont get me wrong I'd prefer not to have tmac or BBB in the team either, but i've got a feeling we will roll out with one of them in round 1. Either that or maybe smith gets a run as the other tall forward. I just can't see us playing one tall forward though.
Not unless Windsor and Billings are getting 20 inside 50's each! They'd be about the only blokes who can hit a target going forward. I don't mind the idea of a smaller F50, but it relies on lowering the eyes, and we simply don't have the mids who do that. Petty/JVR as our talls, Fritta/McAdam as our medium sized players and Kozzy/Chandler as our smalls looks ok on paper. But there's a lot of question marks. How's Petty's foot? Will he have to play back if May gets injured? Will McAdam stay injury free? Will JVR take the next step? Kozzy play more midfield time taking away his dangerous play around goal? It's just not settled and hasn't been for 2 full seasons really.

Reckon we attacked the game the right way for the first 5 weeks, but after conceding high scores to Brisbane and Essendon we crapped our pants. I don't really count the Richmond games as they were horrific defensively all year but we did start coming out of our shell a bit with Petty hitting form, then he did his ankle and we were stuffed. Even though we beat the Hawks and the Swans in hindsight the signs that our scoring woes were back in a big way were really starting to come out, then absolutely stuffed us in the finals.

If this clown coach doesn't change the way we play next year you can completely write off this group, because they sure as hell aren't sacking him and we are too good to 'completely' fall apart.
Yeah i can see us stuck in no mans land on the middle of the table. It's probably where we deserved to be most of last season. Lots needs to change and go right to be up amongst the top 4 again IMO. Oliver getting it together is one for instance.

Jefferson is listed as 86kg, he was 76kg when drafted. Has packed on 10kg.

Another full season his body shouldn’t be an excuse, Jeremy Cameron is 89kg, no reason Jeffo can’t hit that from another pre season.

It would be a legendary piss take if we play Tmac ahead of Jeffo in 2024

Im not worried about the forward line too much. Think we have plenty of options and different set ups we can go with. Am concerned about defense if May was to go down.

Our ball movement the key preseason watch as always. If we play the way we have the past couple of years ill be absolutely disgusted. Hopefully with Grundy moving on (in turn not having Gawn as a KPF) and us selecting Windsor it signals a shift of game plan.
I remember arguing with Tulip and a couple others because we played a little more free in pre season and against the dogs and I said it doesn't mean anything until round 10. Early season is always open and free flowing teams aren't battle harderned into their defensive zones. Think you can only take individual performances out of pre season. McAdam looking good one out in the square, Windsor killing it off a HBF or something like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jefferson is listed as 86kg, he was 76kg when drafted. Has packed on 10kg.

Another full season his body shouldn’t be an excuse, Jeremy Cameron is 89kg, no reason Jeffo can’t hit that from another pre season.

It would be a legendary piss take if we play Tmac ahead of Jeffo in 2024
Body weight doesn't mean shit if you don't have the strength to back it up or the endurance to use it for more than a quarter. Jeremy Cameron is an elite runner for a key forward so the comparison is a stupid one

Body weight doesn't mean s**t if you don't have the strength to back it up or the endurance to use it for more than a quarter. Jeremy Cameron is an elite runner for a key forward so the comparison is a stupid one
I agree but surely after two preseasons Jefferson would be pushing for selection this year, unless Brown and McDonald can somehow wind back the clock.

I agree but surely after two preseasons Jefferson would be pushing for selection this year, unless Brown and McDonald can somehow wind back the clock.
Mate he could play round 1 with talent I was just pointing out his body weight to camerons is a stupid metric lol

Fair enough, but I think the main point of mich0 was that Jefferson should be ahead of McDonald which I think is a valid point.
He should be ahead even if he weighs 50kgs

We CANNOT have JVR playing ruck in the centre.

Can accept a few boundary throw ins inside forward 50 but not much more than that for the young guy - he’s way too important.

I used to be about this, but after thinking it thru, name me the last KPF who was used as a part time ruck to do their knee or such in the ruck? Ruck centre bounces aren't what they used to be.

I used to be about this, but after thinking it thru, name me the last KPF who was used as a part time ruck to do their knee or such in the ruck? Ruck centre bounces aren't what they used to be.
100% occasionally there's a PCL but you can do that in the forward line as well it's such a myth

Horrific list management. Combine that with a post ACL melky and we have 4 essentially useless players on the list
Next year's offseason is going to be so satisfying

images (2) (1).jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back