Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
I swear we didn't rate anyone outside the top 3 in this draft
Think we were just pretty keen to grab a top-five talent, as we haven't brought in someone of that quality for a few years now (tried last year with Humphrey, too). Tough to get access to those sorts of players when you're in the upper tier of the ladder.

Windsor feels a bit less like a 'pick him because we have to' than Jefferson last year, considering we knocked back some decent offers.

Think we were just pretty keen to grab a top-five talent, as we haven't brought in someone of that quality for a few years now (tried last year with Humphrey, too). Tough to get access to those sorts of players when you're in the upper tier of the ladder.

Windsor feels a bit less like a 'pick him because we have to' than Jefferson last year, considering we knocked back some decent offers.
The numbers irrelevant if you rate them though, I really don't think we rated this draft at all. We took old mate at 6, doubt we would have been trying to trade up if we loved him

The numbers irrelevant if you rate them though, I really don't think we rated this draft at all. We took old mate at 6, doubt we would have been trying to trade up if we loved him
Yeah you're right, obviously they rated Reid/McKercher/Duursma/Watson in a tier above Windsor, so once those deals fell through, they would have evaluated whether they rated Windsor or a future pick more.

That we knocked back the WC/Hawthorn offers gives me a bit of confidence that we still rated Windsor pretty highly though.

Goes to show that trading good players for draft picks is a lottery. Sounds impressive to get two first rounders for a player like Jackson, less impressive when the picks end up in spots where you can't get the players you wanted.

Early doors the signs aren't looking fantastic that Jefferson will come on. Let's hope Windsor turns out to be a top 5 player from this draft crop.

I'm sure Windsor will be a good pick up but I think Thorstrup will end up being a great pick up regardless of Windsor.

Im the opposite after delving deeper into Tholstrup's game tape since we drafted him. Just dont see much, looks like another Sparrow. (I preface this by saying he was playing against men in 90% of the footage so you have to take that into account, but even in the championships footage there really wasn't a whole heap to get excited over). Leake looked to do everything Tholstrup does but better.

Ive been wrong before, hope to be wrong again. Maybe there is some hidden upside there that the scouts have identified that doesnt show up on the footage ive seen.

Feel pretty good about Windsor. His best is excellent. Just about getting consistency in his game. If he can achieve that we could be looking at a real game changer.

Last edited:
There was an interview with Jason Taylor on Demonland where he described that they viewed Tholstrup as having a lot of potential due to not having much exposure to elite pathways, dominating colts last year and performing really diligent roles at senior WAFL level this year. Also he's a well rounded, powerful athlete. Seems like a bit of a bolter with other clubs' interest in him too.

Im the opposite after delving deeper into Tholstrup's game tape since we drafted him. Just dont see much, looks like another Sparrow. (I preface this by saying he was playing against men in 90% of the footage so you have to take that into account, but even in the championships footage there really wasn't a whole heap to get excited over). Leake looked to do everything Tholstrup does but better.

Ive been wrong before, hope to be wrong again. Maybe there is some hidden upside there that the scouts have identified that doesnt show up on the footage ive seen.

Feel pretty good about Windsor. His best is excellent. Just about getting consistency in his game. If he can achieve that we could be looking at a real game changer.
I get the feeling that the things they loved most about Tholstrup were his commitment and effort coming all the way from Esperance, as well as his strong character.

Even the little comments about him changing runners for the agility test showed ‘professionalism’ - interesting observation when he also got the second highest actual agility score.

Fingers crossed he’s got the ability to go with his good attitude.

From what I've seen of Tholstrup I'd rank him as similar to a pick in the 20-35 range in terms of the likelihood of him turning into a really good player. He's clearly got a chance of being a good player, I'm not knocking him as a prospect at all.
But I do think that chance he turns into a star is a bit lower than you might normally hope for from a number 14 pick.

I reckon Koltyn becomes a player like Chris Mayne, who was very valuable to the Dockers in his day as a mid sized goal-kicker and facilitator.

I think he's much more dynamic than Sparrow. Must admit I'm a big fan of Leake as well, but I'm happy to back the recruiters. Time will tell I guess.

• West Coast offered two second rounders (lol) to try and get 13 to draft Tholstrup
They offered two seconds for the pick we traded a first and two seconds for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Windsor is going to turn into a big boy. He has wide shoulders on him.
Agree on this. Thought the same. Definitely has some shoulders.
I heard his interview on radio the other day. He missed most of his bottom age year with an ankle. Then had an interrupted start to this year. Definitely has something to work with. Also said GWS would have taken him if we didn’t.

Yeah, fair few available next year, ranging from 'defs have a crack' to 'probs not likely', but all of Jamarra, Marshall, Hogan, King, McDonald and Cadman are out of contract.

Cal Twomey has reported both King and Cadman are in negotiations for extensions. Jamarra has said he wants to stay, McDonald seems more likely to head back to WA if he moves, Hogan doesn't seem very likely.... Reckon we need to go hard for Marshall now, unless there's a pre-agent or contracted player we could tempt?

Cal Twomey has reported both King and Cadman are in negotiations for extensions. Jamarra has said he wants to stay, McDonald seems more likely to head back to WA if he moves, Hogan doesn't seem very likely.... Reckon we need to go hard for Marshall now, unless there's a pre-agent or contracted player we could tempt?

Zurhaar?

Zurhaar?

Like Zurhaar, but wouldn't really call him a "key forward" in my books. If we didn't have Fritsch, McAdam and a short key forward (JVR) already then I'd be keen, but don't think he's what we're looking for with potentially 4 of our key forward options gone end of next year.

Cadman now officially off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back