Analysis 2023 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Still a long way to go. I remember being gobsmacked by essendons sensational 2006 draft where they grabbed Scott Gumbleton, Leroy Jetta, Tom Hislop, Kyle Reimers. All bigfooty favourites at the time.

If you don't know who they are don't feel bad, it's for good reason. 🤣

I won’t have anyone take the piss out of Reimers, helped break open the drugs saga. He’s our hero like O’Reilly was for every other club 20 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That works for me, I linked where I get the info from.
That’s awesome
This was cut and pasted from the CFC. what they said section which itself was just a cut and paste job.

This was cut and pasted from the CFC. what they said section which itself was just a cut and paste job.
I found the state results & have posted them.
Off the back of his testing & the B&F, little disappointed the draft watchers hadn’t picked up on him more 😂 (just kidding), looks like a smart pick up to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Billy Wilson's acquisition:

"The speed is a real point of difference for us. I know he’s listed as a general defender, but we love what he did as an inside midfielder in the back half of the year and through the finals. Playing pure inside, he did some fantastic things. He’s super clean, his burst and his ball use was terrific. That’s a point of difference for us as a midfield group."

On being an apparent draft bolter:

"Not for us he wasn’t! He’s going to train with our midfield group. We know he can play back, we’ve got quite a bit of depth in our back half. We’ve also got some guys that are coming to the back-end of their career, so the ability to do both is quite unique. We love what he did as an inside midfielder: that elite speed and that burst is something we think we’re lacking, he’s going to help us."

On Billy Wilson's acquisition:

"The speed is a real point of difference for us. I know he’s listed as a general defender, but we love what he did as an inside midfielder in the back half of the year and through the finals. Playing pure inside, he did some fantastic things. He’s super clean, his burst and his ball use was terrific. That’s a point of difference for us as a midfield group."

On being an apparent draft bolter:

"Not for us he wasn’t! He’s going to train with our midfield group. We know he can play back, we’ve got quite a bit of depth in our back half. We’ve also got some guys that are coming to the back-end of their career, so the ability to do both is quite unique. We love what he did as an inside midfielder: that elite speed and that burst is something we think we’re lacking, he’s going to help us."

That's the difference - it's their full time job and they got access to all the info.

It sounds like they have put a lot of weight on his projected growth as a midfielder - "that elite speed and that burst"

I'm coming around now - Let's go Billy :D

He's AFL quality, that's why.

Would be no shock to me if he's the best first year player next year by a mile.

I dont doubt he will be a good player, just dont see the logic in a team about to spend a heap of time rebuilding, drafting a 26 year old, 27 in his debut year.

I thought a team in the window would have been all over him.

Rookie draft tomorrow

Ry Cantwell
187cm 78kg
Forward or Wing
Eastern Ranges

STRENGTHS
  • Athleticsim
  • Explosive Speed
  • Hurt Factor
  • Vertical Leap

IMPROVEMENT
  • Consistency
  • Production

-High impact per possession player
-Real moments type operator
-Boasting explosive speed and outstanding athleticism
-Cantwell blitzed the combine across the board
-Though often stationed on a wing or half forward he hits the scoreboard consistently and takes the game on
-Draft as a development prospect with undeniable talent and flair
Can't believe Koen Sanchez didn't get selected tonight - doubt he lasts to our pick in the rookie draft but can only hope.

Still plenty of names on the board like Del La Rue, Van Rooyen, O'Leary, Carroll, Philactides, Callinan....

The two names we were connected with according to the Foxfooty article the other day were Matt Carroll and Riley Wills. Not sure we should be going after another half back with Carroll, but Wills could be a contender as a mid/forward.

Wills was a joint winner of the Jack Clarke Medal for the fairest and best player in the WAFL Colts competition. In the state combine, he ran the fastest 2km time trial in 6 min, 29 sec; but also finished 2nd in the 20m run in 2.92 sec (the fastest as the national combine was 2.89 sec).

1700564872598.png

Can't believe Koen Sanchez didn't get selected tonight - doubt he lasts to our pick in the rookie draft but can only hope.

Still plenty of names on the board like Del La Rue, Van Rooyen, O'Leary, Carroll, Philactides, Callinan....

The two names we were connected with according to the Foxfooty article the other day were Matt Carroll and Riley Wills. Not sure we should be going after another half back with Carroll, but Wills could be a contender as a mid/forward.

Wills was a joint winner of the Jack Clarke Medal for the fairest and best player in the WAFL Colts competition. In the state combine, he ran the fastest 2km time trial in 6 min, 29 sec; but also finished 2nd in the 20m run in 2.92 sec (the fastest as the national combine was 2.89 sec).

View attachment 1858274
Only explanation I can offer for Sanchez is his body. Has a long history of injuries, and a recurrence at the end of the season. Thought it may have been go home factor, but the WA clubs left him there too. Perplexing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back