Discussion 2023 General AFL Discussion - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only got to watch the last quarter but Collingwood got let off multiple times for very obvious frees.
Missed plenty to them as well and had some shockers given against them, ginnivan deliberate was an absolute joke, Moore head high in the marking contest and so on. Just really poor umpiring, when you only pay 24 free kicks for the game 12 to each side that seems a deliberate approach and is bound to leave supporters wondering what is going on. There was one tackle where the collingwood guy is in and headlock and body slammed, a suplex according to the commentator but hey no free kick. All year the umpiring has been really poor, I have no idea why they umpire finals differently but they sure seem to.

Last edited:
We need some guys to emerge as bulls. Tom Green, to me that's what we're missing. Not sure three drafts is gonna do it, as you say by then our guns like Steele and Sincs will be aging.
Just about every premiership team has some old experienced players in their 30s.

I actually think it's needed.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

TH I’ll be leaving Melbourne on Friday for two weeks - I couldn’t stomach being around if either one of those two win.
Go Lions 🦁
You'll find me in a bomb proof bunker...........about 500 km due east from Oodnadatta.

Missed plenty to them as well and had some shockers given against them, ginnivan deliberate was an absolute joke, Moore head high in the marking contest and so on. Just really poor umpiring, when you only pay 24 free kicks for the game 12 to each side that seems a deliberate approach and is bound to leave supporters wondering what is going on. There was one tackle where the collingwood guy is in and headlock and body slammed, a suplex according to the commentator but hey no free kick. All year the umpiring has been really poor, I have no idea why they umpire finals differently but they sure seem to.

The bizarre one was when they bounced a ball that was still in play.

The best officiating umpires are out for umpires that perform best during the season for center bounces.
Or so I’m told.

This and GPS data as less stoppage downtime due to stuff ups and more "that guy made 47 contests, you made 20" for higher strike rates, even if you nailed every single one and the bloke that did 47 halved his on review.

The bizarre one was when they bounced a ball that was still in play.
And sent cox off because his jumper was torn, it was a shit show. I’m sorry but there were 40 - 50 clear frees in that game so why have rules if you don’t apply them. Toby green didn’t get that free when he almost had his head taken off because he ducked. Well that’s crap on two counts a high tackle is still a high tackle unless you drive your head into someone and secondly he simply bent his knees. Now I might be strange but when I‘m trying to change direction or pivot that’s exactly what I do.

It’s a tough job being an umpire but they were terrible imo last night. Anyway lets go blues, I’ll be barracking for them tonight 🤣🤣.

I've been watching some of the WAFL finals lately and the standard of umpiring in those games is much better than what you get in the AFL.

You don't get the feeling that the WAFL umpires are favouring one team over the other, there aren't changes in rules or interpretations either.

You don't notice the umpiring in WAFL games nearly as much as AFL games where the umpires try to make themselves a big factor in games

And sent cox off because his jumper was torn, it was a s**t show. I’m sorry but there were 40 - 50 clear frees in that game so why have rules if you don’t apply them. Toby green didn’t get that free when he almost had his head taken off because he ducked. Well that’s crap on two counts a high tackle is still a high tackle unless you drive your head into someone and secondly he simply bent his knees. Now I might be strange but when I‘m trying to change direction or pivot that’s exactly what I do.

It’s a tough job being an umpire but they were terrible imo last night. Anyway lets go blues, I’ll be barracking for them tonight 🤣🤣.
Toby did not duck. On that you are simply incorrect. He pivoted to turn and got decapitated. A free kick every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Toby did not duck. On that you are simply incorrect. He pivoted to turn and got decapitated. A free kick every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
A better effort than last night but I know you've got more in ya x

Give 'em hell, skip

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And sent cox off because his jumper was torn, it was a s**t show. I’m sorry but there were 40 - 50 clear frees in that game so why have rules if you don’t apply them. Toby green didn’t get that free when he almost had his head taken off because he ducked. Well that’s crap on two counts a high tackle is still a high tackle unless you drive your head into someone and secondly he simply bent his knees. Now I might be strange but when I‘m trying to change direction or pivot that’s exactly what I do.

I didn't think it looked like he ducked at all. That was a proper clothesline, I was a bit drunk though so could have a hazy memory.

I didn't think it looked like he ducked at all. That was a proper clothesline, I was a bit drunk though so could have a hazy memory.

I was a bit drunk too but it was still an obvious free kick that the umpires missed, like the Tom Green being legged one in the last quarter.

Hard to believe that 4 umpires could have missed those obvious free kicks, they just chose to ignore them.

GWS got the wrong end of the stick with the umpiring especially in the last quarter, it cost them the game but they cost themselves too.

I was a bit drunk too but it was still an obvious free kick that the umpires missed, like the Tom Green being legged one in the last quarter.

Hard to believe that 4 umpires could have missed those obvious free kicks, they just chose to ignore them.

GWS got the wrong end of the stick with the umpiring especially in the last quarter, it cost them the game but they cost themselves too.
And Brisbane will cop the wrong end of stick tonight

And Brisbane will cop the wrong end of stick tonight

At the Gabba I doubt it but the AFL would love a Carlton v Collingwood GF so I wouldn't be surprised if Carlton got a good run tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back