2023 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The list management people need to hook up with our 2023 calendar merchandise people. Was at Woolworths today, and this 2023 calendar was for sale:
View attachment 1594627

Getting 3 out of 4 on the front cover wrong is fairly impressive! I hope Worpel plays a lot more games for us this year than the other 3 will!

My Nan gets this for Xmas from me every year. This time around I printed off photos of Duke, Lewis, CJ and Moorey and crudely cut and pasted them over the top of every player no longer with us.

My Nan gets this for Xmas from me every year. This time around I printed off photos of Duke, Lewis, CJ and Moorey and crudely cut and pasted them over the top of every player no longer with us.
Put Day's head on O'Meara's body so everyone can be happy about him getting more midfield minutes.

The General speaks.
He also mentions he's not directly involved with Lions anymore. Pulled the pin to spend more time with family and because of TV commitments.

The players wanted co-captains in the Mitchell-hodge era. Kennett knocked it back on traditional grounds.(and some arrangements in other clubs weren’t a raging success) Hodge and Mitchell did it anyway, this reinforces that. Egos put aside for the common goal.

"The Hawks are looking for some depth," Cornes said on SEN Sportsday.

"It wouldn't be a bad move, Callum Brown would probably walk into their best 22, so we'll wait and see."

Hawthorn live inside his head

"It wouldn't be a bad move, Callum Brown would probably walk into their best 22, so we'll wait and see."

Walk into our Best 22???

He'd be lucky to get a game with The Browns in an intra-club match FFS.

Cornes reminds me of that person that left the industry 5yrs back, but remembers most of the names & tries to make out like he still knows what's going on. (actually, that's kinda exactly what he is...).

Cornes isn’t just a tool, he’s a complete 64 piece Sidchrome Spanner Set.

Having said that - Callum Brown as our last player listed makes complete sense to me. He wouldn’t disappoint as a late call up.

He was undoubtedly rated ahead of Dylan Moore in the competition only 2 seasons ago. Things can change quickly when you get a second chance.

Walk into our Best 22???

He'd be lucky to get a game with The Browns in an intra-club match FFS.

Cornes reminds me of that person that left the industry 5yrs back, but remembers most of the names & tries to make out like he still knows what's going on. (actually, that's kinda exactly what he is...).
He’s only a couple of years away from the dreaded Pelchen / Buckenara / Rendell “List Guru” status

Cornes thinks hes a master triggerer. he probably looks around and sees we take the bait.

In reality hes just like the others now - mixes and matches a few players/teams/triggers

Cornes isn’t just a tool, he’s a complete 64 piece Sidchrome Spanner Set.

Having said that - Callum Brown as our last player listed makes complete sense to me. He wouldn’t disappoint as a late call up.

He was undoubtedly rated ahead of Dylan Moore in the competition only 2 seasons ago. Things can change quickly when you get a second chance.
I'm happy to hold out until the MSD.

I know the depth in that draft will likely be less than previous years, but I've little doubt there's some late(r) maturing 20-21yr olds that didn't write make it at 18, but offer something now.

Fair chance we have access to the top 3-5 of the bunch. I'd rather take a punt there, than on Brown.

I'm happy to hold out until the MSD.

I know the depth in that draft will likely be less than previous years, but I've little doubt there's some late(r) maturing 20-21yr olds that didn't write make it at 18, but offer something now.

Fair chance we have access to the top 3-5 of the bunch. I'd rather take a punt there, than on Brown.

Agreed. I’d much prefer an early crack at MSD thanks Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Callum Brown as our last player listed makes complete sense to me. He wouldn’t disappoint as a late call up.

It would make zero sense to my eyes.

Brown is a midfielder, wing, flanker type, and we’ve got a shit tonne of them on the list who need games.
Make a 22, and see the names who are missing out. Even if you factor in injuries, he’s not going to be a required player when we have between 3-5 under 20’s who need game time.

If he was 190+ and could play forward, then yes, sign him up. He’s not though, so he should stick with Box Hill.

I don’t think Hawthorn live in his head, he just says really dumb shit a lot about a heap of clubs.

Unfortunately his role is to say these sorts of things, and there’s no one there to correct him or take him to task on his comments. SEN must love the amount of traffic his dumb takes generate for them.

It would make zero sense to my eyes.

Brown is a midfielder, wing, flanker type, and we’ve got a s**t tonne of them on the list who need games.
Make a 22, and see the names who are missing out. Even if you factor in injuries, he’s not going to be a required player when we have between 3-5 under 20’s who need game time.

If he was 190+ and could play forward, then yes, sign him up. He’s not though, so he should stick with Box Hill.
This idea that our u20s “need game time” is baseless. They get game time if they deserve it - because they’re good enough.

Did Connor Downie “need game time”? Did Jack Saunders? Callow? No, they didn’t, because they weren’t good enough.

If the last guy listed is keeping you out of the senior 22, then you’re clearly not up to it - yet. Brown would add hardness as an inside mid.

I don’t think he’d walk into the 22 but when we have a few midfield soldiers down we could do with someone to call up who knows a bit about the caper.

This idea that our u20s “need game time” is baseless. They get game time if they deserve it - because they’re good enough.

Did Connor Downie “need game time”? Did Jack Saunders? Callow? No, they didn’t, because they weren’t good enough.

If the last guy listed is keeping you out of the senior 22, then you’re clearly not up to it - yet. Brown would add hardness as an inside mid.

I don’t think he’d walk into the 22 but when we have a few midfield soldiers down we could do with someone to call up who knows a bit about the caper.
Totally disagree. What you said may be true if we were in a competitive stage trying to win all games. But we're not. We are in a rebuilding phase and have recruited a heap of talented new kids. The only way to bring them up to speed is to play them. What would be the point in bringing in a potential list clogger at the expense of Mackenzie? Or Weddle? Or Husthwaite? Or any other kid?

I don’t think Hawthorn live in his head, he just says really dumb s**t a lot about a heap of clubs.

Unfortunately his role is to say these sorts of things, and there’s no one there to correct him or take him to task on his comments. SEN must love the amount of traffic his dumb takes generate for them.
Sadly it’s the other way round - he lives rent free in the heads of a lot of supporters.

His takes are there to generate clicks, twitter outrage and debate. As long as we’re retweeting him on a forum and talking about him, it guarantees more of his hot takes and ultimately more money in his employers’ pockets.

Totally disagree. What you said may be true if we were in a competitive stage trying to win all games. But we're not. We are in a rebuilding phase and have recruited a heap of talented new kids. The only way to bring them up to speed is to play them. What would be the point in bringing in a potential list clogger at the expense of Mackenzie? Or Weddle? Or Husthwaite? Or any other kid?
….because we have a very inexperienced midfield group, and Brown is only 24 with 70 AFL games at Collingwood - hardly a “list clogger”.

It’s our last list spot, so frankly it’s not going to make / break the season but given how deep we cut our midfield through trades, delistings I’d be happy to add Callum.

He’s actually a pretty handy footballer, and is likely to be able to teach the 18 year olds a thing or two about playing midfield at AFL level.

Sorry, but the footy dept have put it on the record as being something they need. It’s also something we’ve already seen.

MacDonald, Ward and Butler were all given games in 2022 without needing great form at Box Hill.

Mentioning rookies like a Saunders, Callow and players with clear difficiencies like Downie is a completely false equivalency.

We have a bunch of highly touted youngsters taken in the earlier parts of the draft that need games under their belt. Not speculative rookies, and not delisted 24yr olds.

Ward, MacDonald, Stephens, Butler, MacKenzie, Hurstwaite and even O’Sullivan and Weddle absolutely need to be given the midfield/wing rotations and minutes that will be on offer over Calllum Brown.

Although i agree with brown not being picked up. I would rather keep that for msd in case of season ending injuries. He is the only guy that remains and plays the intras when the rest of the add ons take a break. The playing group has a lot of time for him

Although i agree with brown not being picked up. I would rather keep that for msd in case of season ending injuries. He is the only guy that remains and plays the intras when the rest of the add ons take a break. The playing group has a lot of time for him
Even with a season ending injury, we shouldn’t be going after Brown in the MSD. If that’s what you’re suggesting.

We should be trying to find a 19yr old with something to prove and an untapped ceiling, or even a project tall who’s shown something at WAFL or SANFL level if we have a spot open for the MSD. Medium/tall forwards is where we have the biggest need.

Even with a season ending injury, we shouldn’t be going after Brown in the MSD. If that’s what you’re suggesting.

We should be trying to find a 19yr old with something to prove and an untapped ceiling, or even a project tall who’s shown something at WAFL or SANFL level if we have a spot open for the MSD. Medium/tall forwards is where we have the biggest need.
No i mean to replace the player injured or to pick up a player that is a list need

….because we have a very inexperienced midfield group, and Brown is only 24 with 70 AFL games at Collingwood - hardly a “list clogger”.

It’s our last list spot, so frankly it’s not going to make / break the season but given how deep we cut our midfield through trades, delistings I’d be happy to add Callum.

He’s actually a pretty handy footballer, and is likely to be able to teach the 18 year olds a thing or two about playing midfield at AFL level.
Collingwood obviously thought he was clogging their list, given they delisted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back