2023 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly it’s the other way round - he lives rent free in the heads of a lot of supporters.

His takes are there to generate clicks, twitter outrage and debate. As long as we’re retweeting him on a forum and talking about him, it guarantees more of his hot takes and ultimately more money in his employers’ pockets.

I Promise never to paste his comedic opinions again

On all exposed evidence Brown is the definition of a list clogger.
Good guy, tries hard but no elite attributes physically or skill wise.
Dan Howe ish.
If anything this is being harsh to Howe. Howe at least showed some very solid form at the top level just didn’t have the attributes that Mitchell was looking for.

Brown looked completely out of depth every time I saw him play. Him getting a game for us even if we picked him up would mean the rest of our list is struggling massively.

I don’t think Hawthorn live in his head, he just says really dumb s**t a lot about a heap of clubs.

Unfortunately his role is to say these sorts of things, and there’s no one there to correct him or take him to task on his comments. SEN must love the amount of traffic his dumb takes generate for them.
To be fair they pay him a shit tonne of money to say that shit and any of us would do the same it's just that we don't have the years of being an absolute campaigner to rile people up like he does that makes him so perfect for the role

If anything this is being harsh to Howe. Howe at least showed some very solid form at the top level just didn’t have the attributes that Mitchell was looking for.

Brown looked completely out of depth every time I saw him play. Him getting a game for us even if we picked him up would mean the rest of our list is struggling massively.

Could have kept Saunders

Sadly it’s the other way round - he lives rent free in the heads of a lot of supporters.

His takes are there to generate clicks, twitter outrage and debate. As long as we’re retweeting him on a forum and talking about him, it guarantees more of his hot takes and ultimately more money in his employers’ po

His takes are there to generate clicks, twitter outrage and debate. As long as we’re retweeting him on a forum and talking about him, it guarantees more of his hot takes and ultimately more money in his employers’ pockets.
This is true and he does talk crap about everyone and I never pay too much attention to what he says but it does feel like he targets Hawthorn and the crows more than anyone. Even his wikipedia page says "He has been known for some provocative commentary on leading afl figures such as Patrick Dangerfield and the Hawthorn Hawks"

This is true and he does talk crap about everyone and I never pay too much attention to what he says but it does feel like he targets Hawthorn and the crows more than anyone. Even his wikipedia page says "He has been known for some provocative commentary on leading afl figures such as Patrick Dangerfield and the Hawthorn Hawks"
But you know anyone change a Wikipedia page right? I could’ve wrote that

I actually like Cornes and the debate he creates.
The fact that most supporter bases think they’re the ones he targets the most probably suggest he’s doing his job to perfection.
If you listen to any Richmond, Carlton or North supporter they think the same.
As for what kicked off this conversation about him it wasn’t an outlandish statement and it’s one shared by a few in here.

The fact that most supporter bases think they’re the ones he targets the most probably suggest he’s doing his job to perfection.
As for what kicked off this conversation about him it wasn’t an outlandish statement and it’s one shared by a few in here.
It was a dumb statement.

Brown couldn’t walk into our best 22.

Spewing crap to stir the shit pot isn't creating debate it's the lowest forum of sport journalism that purely exist to generate clicks, it doesnt add perspective nor does it educate.

It was a dumb statement.

Brown couldn’t walk into our best 22.
Agreed - it was an outlandish statement by Cornes that he could walk into our 22, designed to provoke debate probably.

However were he to be the last guy put in our 2023 list lacking midfield experience……helping young mids develop whilst probably playing mainly at Box Hill - that’s a completely different scenario.

Collingwood obviously thought he was clogging their list, given they delisted him.
Gold Coast thought the same about Will Brodie, so he goes to Freo for peanuts.

New environment can do wonders for players on a second chance.

We also cut some guy called Dylan Moore a couple of years ago - was he a list clogger too?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah Howe is waay better than Brown and we still cut Dan

Gold Coast thought the same about Will Brodie, so he goes to Freo for peanuts.

New environment can do wonders for players on a second chance.

We also cut some guy called Dylan Moore a couple of years ago - was he a list clogger too?
Brodie was a first round pick, not getting opportunity.

Different scenario to Brown, who’s had ample opportunity at Collingwood and doesn’t have any great defining traits.

Brodie was a first round pick, not getting opportunity.

Different scenario to Brown, who’s had ample opportunity at Collingwood and doesn’t have any great defining traits.
He had 25 games at GC - is that not enough opportunity? Can’t see what your point is about him being a 1st rd pick - plenty of them go bust.

He had 25 games at GC - is that not enough opportunity? Can’t see what your point is about him being a 1st rd pick - plenty of them go bust.
Will Brodie showed plenty at GC. When he got on the field he was having a pretty good number of 20+ possession games. His problems where he kept getting injured and has a very small tank.

Plus the suns were moving to playing Rowell, Miller and Anderson pretty much full time, so he was surplus to their needs.

He still has to be managed game time wise at freo, but he was doing what he was doing at Gold Coast just with more opportunity.

Last edited:
The fact that most supporter bases think they’re the ones he targets the most probably suggest he’s doing his job to perfection. If you listen to any Richmond, Carlton or North supporter they think the same.
Quick tip for you... never do that!

I think I'm one of the only ones who wouldn't be disappointed with Brown. We fawn over guys that haven't played a game and talk about our current luck in the MSD for reasons we shouldn't pick him up.

It is very unlikely we are going to pick up another Newcombe in the MSD and Brown would arguably offer way more than anyone we could get a hand on later in the year.

He's got 70 odd games under his belt and just needs to put it together but he certainly has some skills and is in the perfect age demo to compete for a spot in the 22. We could legit bring in quality depth and you guys are complaining?

Remember teams still need balance and he comes in as our 2nd/3rd most experienced mid under Worps and Amon.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think I'm one of the only ones who wouldn't be disappointed with Brown. We fawn over guys that haven't played a game and talk about our current luck in the MSD for reasons we shouldn't pick him up.

It is very unlikely we are going to pick up another Newcombe in the MSD and Brown would arguably offer way more than anyone we could get a hand on later in the year.

He's got 70 odd games under his belt and just needs to put it together but he certainly has some skills and is in the perfect age demo to compete for a spot in the 22. We could legit bring in quality depth and you guys are complaining?

Remember teams still need balance and he comes in as our 2nd/3rd most experienced mid under Worps and Amon.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's not quality depth, thats why he was delisted and not traded.

We do?
Not sure where you read that.

We don’t need another flanker type who can possibly play midfield minutes, with low upside. We’ve got a bunch with more upside who needs games and minutes together(Ward, MacKenzie, MacDonald, Butler and Stephens). If we did need an experienced body that can play these roles, we would’ve kept Dan Howe.

We have a free spot on the list and it’s pretty clear that we don’t have enough medium or tall forwards, if we lack for anything.

With respect to Brown - he isn't part of our short term future, let alone our long term future.

We are playing the long-game here. We know what Brown can do at AFL level, so I would much rather we play a youngster that may turn out to be a better player than Brown.

We have done well with the MSD so far, and we aren't the only club. We should be keeping the spot open, we will likely have another top 5 MSD pick too.

Totally disagree. What you said may be true if we were in a competitive stage trying to win all games. But we're not. We are in a rebuilding phase and have recruited a heap of talented new kids. The only way to bring them up to speed is to play them. What would be the point in bringing in a potential list clogger at the expense of Mackenzie? Or Weddle? Or Husthwaite? Or any other kid?
No one here is saying Brown is a walk up start, how ever young bodies will tire easy. Could be handy as depth in a long season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back