Injury 2023 injury thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's genuinely staggering that you can be going at the capacity he is right now and still be playing in the elite football competition in the country. Given where his body is at, he looks like he would be right at home getting around in a state league comp, where his experience, size and nous would cover over most of the yawning deficiencies in his game aerobically.

As you say, it's not as if he's not giving it his all. It's simply the case that the body has very little left to give that can approximate adequacy at the elite level.

'The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.'
Yeah if anything he's overperforming relative to physical condition. He's been against some great ruckmen, and one iffy set up with Richmond. Definitely ruckmen capable of a few BOG performances each season (Darcy and Witts the last two years are in their teams top 5 most weeks). Conceding 5 or so coaches votes from those 4 games is a miracle. Meanwhile the midfielders have destroyed us. So the deficiency is bigger when it comes to Blicavs, Atkins, Holmes, Parfitt, Bruhn and Knevitt than it is Ceglar vs ruckman.

We are a good chance next week with Dangerfield back, along with Rohan and SDK while Stengle and Close ideally are hitting their straps.

Bulldogs still haven't beaten many teams of note yet. Great midfield and not a whole lot else.
Only one problem with this. You haven't factored in the obligatory 'medium term' injury to another frontline player that we will somehow pick up before the Doggies game.

#youknowitmakessense

If we’re forced to play Ceglar for a few more games he’ll need Forest Gump leg braces by about Rd 15.

Reckon he’s got less than 10 games of footy left in him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well we better draft a ruck next week then as stanley is a while off.

I've never seen someone playing as cooked as Ceglar is, I mean credit to him for fronting up and having a go but he basically can contest a tap, is gassed after a quarter and offers nothing round the ground. It's not his fault, he's just limited and trying his hardest

To be fair we knew this last year and we didnt bring in a ruck in trade so its our fault not his.

To be fair we knew this last year and we didnt bring in a ruck in trade so its our fault not his.
Why would we.. He was under contract and literally 4/5th in line.
We weren't expecting Rhys, Toby, and Neale all to be hurt at the same time. Also they used SDK there ahead of him..
He literally is a break glass in case of emergency option... Unfortunately that emergency is now present.

The most laughable thing is when people were actually stupid enough to try talk him up last year as our best option

Why would we.. He was under contract and literally 4/5th in line.
We weren't expecting Rhys, Toby, and Neale all to be hurt at the same time. Also they used SDK there ahead of him..
He literally is a break glass in case of emergency option... Unfortunately that emergency is now present.

The most laughable thing is when people were actually stupid enough to try talk him up last year as our best option
spot on

Some light reading.
You will need tp use the slide at the bottom to get Stanley's numbers up for this season.
CompareWithStat Type
Current Past AdelaideBrisbaneCarltonCollingwoodEssendonFremantleGWSGeelongGold CoastHawthornMelbourneNorth MelbournePort AdelaideRichmondSt KildaSydneyWest CoastWestern Bulldogs Current Past AdelaideBrisbaneCarltonCollingwoodEssendonFremantleGWSGeelongGold CoastHawthornMelbourneNorth MelbournePort AdelaideRichmondSt KildaSydneyWest CoastWestern Bulldogs Averages Totals
Bradley CloseBrandan ParfittCameron GuthrieCooper WhyteEsava RatugoleaFlynn KroegerGary RohanGryan MiersIsaac SmithJack BowesJack HenryJake KolodjashnijJames WillisJed BewsJeremy CameronJhye ClarkJonathon CeglarMark BlicavsMark O'ConnorMax HolmesMitchell DuncanMitchell KnevittOisin MullinOliver HenryOllie DempseyOsca RiccardiOscar MurdochPatrick DangerfieldPhoenix FosterRhys StanleySam De KoningSam MenegolaSam SimpsonShannon NealeTanner BruhnTed ClohesyThomas StewartToby ConwayTom AtkinsTom HawkinsTyson StengleZach GuthrieZach TuohyBradley CloseBrandan ParfittCameron GuthrieCooper WhyteEsava RatugoleaFlynn KroegerGary RohanGryan MiersIsaac SmithJack BowesJack HenryJake KolodjashnijJames WillisJed BewsJeremy CameronJhye ClarkJonathon CeglarMark BlicavsMark O'ConnorMax HolmesMitchell DuncanMitchell KnevittOisin MullinOliver HenryOllie DempseyOsca RiccardiOscar MurdochPatrick DangerfieldPhoenix FosterRhys StanleySam De KoningSam MenegolaSam SimpsonShannon NealeTanner BruhnTed ClohesyThomas StewartToby ConwayTom AtkinsTom HawkinsTyson StengleZach GuthrieZach Tuohy
Current Season Select Past Season Career At Same Age Select Age Current Season Select Past Season Career At Same Age Select Age
Player Statistics Comparison​
Name​
Team​
Ruck​
Position​
Ruck​
108​
Career Games​
Murray Bushrangers​
Origin​
West Adelaide​
February 14, 1991​
Date of Birth​
December 1, 1990​
32yr 3mth​
Age​
32yr 5mth​
204cm
Height​
200cm​
99kg​
Weight​
102kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 4, Pick #59​
Last Draft Position​
Round 3, Pick #47​
Last Drafted By​
2023​
Stats for Season​
2023​
4​
Games​
4​
6.2​
Kicks​
Handballs​
6.2​
Disposals​
12.8​
Marks​
1.8​
0​
Goals​
0​
0​
Behinds​
0​
1.8​
Tackles​
Hitouts​
24.5​
Inside 50s​
1.5​
0​
Goal Assists​
1.0​
Frees For​
1.8​
Frees Against​
Contested Possessions​
6.2​
5.5​
Uncontested Possessions​
5.5​
8.5​
Effective Disposals​
8.5​
65.4%​
Disposal Efficiency %​
66.4%
4.0​
Clangers​
Contested Marks​
0​
0​
Marks Inside 50​
0​
Clearances​
2.8​
0.5​
Rebound 50s​
4.0​
One Percenters​
0​
Bounces​
0​
69.5​
Time On Ground %​
Centre Clearances​
0.8​
Stoppage Clearances​
2.0​
3.0​
Score Involvements​
3.0​
145.5​
Metres Gained​
2.8​
Turnovers​
Intercepts​
2.2​
0​
Tackles Inside 50​
0​
$557,000​
AFL Fantasy Price​
$596,000
AFL Fantasy Score​
68.0​
$422,300​
Supercoach Price​
$422,700
Supercoach Score​

Was crazy, then. And is genuinely even crazier now.

Noticed this week that even Ben Cass on the K-Rock podcast has now acknowledged that Ceglar is not at the races as an AFL-quality ruck these days. For someone who's been a massive Rhys denier for years, that's quite a comedown. And genuinely indicative of how Jon is trying incredibly hard but is miles short of being even an effective placeholder as a #1 ruck these days.

We are a good chance next week with Dangerfield back, along with Rohan and SDK while Stengle and Close ideally are hitting their straps.

Bulldogs still haven't beaten many teams of note yet. Great midfield and not a whole lot else.

But will they be back, both Dangerfield and Rohan were touted earlier in the week as playing tomorrow, and we see how that turned out.

I seriously don't get the Ceglar fury. He's been legitimately doing well.

No great mystery though really, simply a case of perception bias, once a player is in the gun (with some posters) he'll stay there no matter what, could be BOG tomorrow and would still be talked down.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Ceg's, and pretty sure he's been in my votes the past couple of weeks

Can't fault his intent, and can see he knows what he wants to do, it's unfortunate that he seems to be running on fumes at times and that the end is near

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen fury directed at Ceglar.

I've been fairly vocal that I wouldn't pick him but I've got nothing against him. His ruck work is good and when he's around the ball he does well. But his body is obviously cooked and he can't get around the ground at all which makes him a liability as soon as the ball leaves the stoppage.

I haven't seen fury directed at Ceglar.

I've been fairly vocal that I wouldn't pick him but I've got nothing against him. His ruck work is good and when he's around the ball he does well. But his body is obviously cooked and he can't get around the ground at all which makes him a liability as soon as the ball leaves the stoppage.
I also don't see fury directed at Ceglar. Just bemusement at the thought that he was ever going to be more than the player he was when he came to the club. A journeyman ruck with limited mobility, who was winding down his career even before he arrived with us.

It's just greatly disappointing that neither Rhys nor Toby are available at this point, as I would be playing either of them each and every week, long before I considered the current incarnation of Ceglar as an option.

I also don't see fury directed at Ceglar. Just bemusement at the thought that he was ever going to be more than the player he was when he came to the club. A journeyman ruck with limited mobility, who was winding down his career even before he arrived with us.

It's just greatly disappointing that neither Rhys nor Toby are available at this point, as I would be playing either of them each and every week, long before I considered the current incarnation of Ceglar as an option.
I think the club saw him as a free hit. They were playing Sav in the ruck ahead of Fort so clearly rate him higher so there was no point getting a pure backup. If Ceglar could get his body right his best footy was very good so I think we recruited him hoping for the 10% chance that would happen.

It's just incredibly unlucky that not only didn't it happen but then all of our other talls went down so we're left playing him despite his body being shot.

All the latest Geelong Cats news ahead of GWS Giants clash​

Injuries to Rhys Stanley and Cam Guthrie haven’t progressed as Geelong wanted as the veteran pair remain weeks away from action. Get the latest here.

Geelong premiership ruck Rhys Stanley’s return remains “uncertain” as he battles vision issues, while reigning best-and-fairest winner Cam Guthrie’s turf toe recovery has been slower than the Cats had hoped.

Stanley was sent for surgery after he suffered a fractured right eye socket in round 5 against West Coast.

While he has been able to train at times, Cats coach Chris Scott said Stanley’s eyesight has “been a little slow to return to normal”.

The Cats have called on Jonathon Ceglar to fill the ruck breach without Stanley and have been linked to former Sydney ruck Sam Naismith as a potential mid-season draftee.

“He had surgery and the complication around his return is more to do with his vision,” Scott said of Stanley.

“That is a really uncertain outlook as far as I am told. They (the medical team) were hopeful that would return really quickly but they couldn’t guarantee is and it has just been a little bit slow.

“He is able to train and do a lot of loading so I think when he comes good he will be able to play relatively quickly.

“His vision has just been a little bit slow to return to normal and there is no appetite to rush that process, he is certainly not going to play when he is suffering those symptoms.”

Prolific midfielder Guthrie, who shared the Carji Greeves Medal with Jeremy Cameron last year, was last seen in round 6 against Sydney.

Scott said Guthrie carried a sore toe into that game, was subbed off as a management decision and felt good on the Monday after the game.

But his toe worsened as that week wore on and given he hasn’t been able to run for a month, his return will come after Geelong’s bye over the King’s Birthday weekend.

“We thought it would still be a couple of weeks and he would likely get back and it just hasn’t progressed that way and it has got to the point now … he has had so much time without running or footy training that it is going to take a bit longer than we thought,” Scott said.

“We are still optimistic that it will be relatively soon after the bye but it certainly won’t be before that.”

In better news for the Cats, Scott said Max Holmes’ knee injury will be “on the quicker end of the scale”

Holmes had surgery this week after bumping his knee against Fremantle and will spend a couple of weeks off his feet but should return to running after the bye.

The Cats are hopeful of gaining hamstrung trio Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Rohan and Mitch Duncan back next week to face the Western Bulldogs.

But will they be back, both Dangerfield and Rohan were touted earlier in the week as playing tomorrow, and we see how that turned out.

No great mystery though really, simply a case of perception bias, once a player is in the gun (with some posters) he'll stay there no matter what, could be BOG tomorrow and would still be talked down.
I phrased it poorly, I meant in a hypothetical with those players back we would be a good chance.

you pick one little slam dunk to be honest. Although Stanley reverting back to 2022 form would be a big step up, it wasn't there before the injury and after this complicated injury who knows. We need midfielders back, that's what has hurt us more.

Scott engaging in a little bit of black humour
"The complication around his return is more to do with his vision....That is a really uncertain outlook as far as I am told."
Comedy gold, Scotty!

"We can't see this putting him out for the season, but we're not blind to the difficulties...and for you raging nerds at home - have some "medium/long term" action ;)"

Mike Judge Kick GIF by Idiocracy

Duncan surely not.

Just Danger and Rohan changes the outlook considerably. Duncan would be a huge bonus but even if he doesn't make it, we have a fighting chance with these two... provided we don't lose anyone else this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back