List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wayne’s best footy of his career has been half back , it’s the only position he’s settled into when he was there

Most clubs have an offensive ball user that isn’t the best defender eg Saad , Hynd , Cumming , Daicos … the list goes on

Our defence lacks offence , most of the guys are pretty ok with shut downs roles eg butts murray Parnell Jones last year did ok but didn’t provide much drive , it’s part of reason why we keep putting Dawson back ( to get the ball moving out of there better )

Milera + Smith is worth trying

As for Jones he’s not in my round 1 team , I reckon he will be sub and likely play wing or small defence if he comes on

My starting wings would be Hinge and Dawson with Rankine and occasionally Soligo to rotate thru there

What makes you think that Wayne’s lack of defence is any less an issue on the wing than defence by the way ? Guys like Sidebottom , Langdon , J Daicos , Gulden , Mccluggage can chop you up if you don’t defend as much as a half forward which normally plays high anyway

They are not playing Dawson on the wing, neither will Rankine roll through there either. Dawson will play back, just how far back depends on how much Nicks wants to mitigate the scoreboard damage

I doubt it has anything to do with 'wants'. It's just a low-priority position that ends up reflecting the state of a teams outside group. When it's in dire straits, it's ditched to try to maximise elsewhere. When there are multiple options playing well, there tend to be proper wingers present.

With Seedsman wiped out and Smith declining, ours is in dire straits.
If he plays Hinge Dawson Rankine and Soligo occasionally off the wings they will be huge weapons for us

Wayne’s best footy of his career has been half back , it’s the only position he’s settled into when he was there

Most clubs have an offensive ball user that isn’t the best defender eg Saad , Hynd , Cumming , Daicos … the list goes on

Our defence lacks offence , most of the guys are pretty ok with shut downs roles eg butts murray Parnell Jones last year did ok but didn’t provide much drive , it’s part of reason why we keep putting Dawson back ( to get the ball moving out of there better )

Milera + Smith is worth trying

As for Jones he’s not in my round 1 team , I reckon he will be sub and likely play wing or small defence if he comes on

My starting wings would be Hinge and Dawson with Rankine and occasionally Soligo to rotate thru there

What makes you think that Wayne’s lack of defence is any less an issue on the wing than defence by the way ? Guys like Sidebottom , Langdon , J Daicos , Gulden , Mccluggage can chop you up if you don’t defend as much as a half forward which normally plays high anyway
It’s not Mileras lack of defence as such, I think he can apply enough defensive pressure on a wingman so he just won’t let them run ragged.

It’s his one on one defending where he’s got to be close enough to his forward opponent to apply effective spoils. He hasn’t done that in the past.

But yes we lack run there and hopefully he has improved his defending otherwise we will leak goals through his player again.

It’s not Mileras lack of defence as such, I think he can apply enough defensive pressure on a wingman so he just won’t let them run ragged.

It’s his one on one defending where he’s got to be close enough to his forward opponent to apply effective spoils. He hasn’t done that in the past.

But yes we lack run there and hopefully he has improved his defending otherwise we will leak goals through his player again.
I guess if he helps create goals and defends to a min acceptable level we are ok , certainly have no issue trying it , we definitely need to be more dynamic coming out of there

And IF it possibly helps us play Dawson on wing I’m all in

I guess if he helps create goals and defends to a min acceptable level we are ok , certainly have no issue trying it , we definitely need to be more dynamic coming out of there

And IF it possibly helps us play Dawson on wing I’m all in
I could see Milera best spot as that of a Tom Lynch type playing high half forward as the connector and a goal kicker personally. My recollection of his draft year and underage year is he played forward for Centrals League and Reserves teams and mostly outside mid/half forward at the Nationals?

I could see Milera best spot as that of a Tom Lynch type playing high half forward as the connector and a goal kicker personally. My recollection of his draft year and underage year is he played forward for Centrals League and Reserves teams and mostly outside mid/half forward at the Nationals?
Isn’t that what we tried last year? Also think we’ve got so many forward options now that we need to use ability elsewhere.

That’s also a tough role and we need him to get his belief and confidence back first

I’m more of a fan of Milera on a wing, but also think our defence still needs a bit more attack (even with Dawson considered), especially as Smith is getting on a bit and is kind of inconsistent. I like having WMJ as the secondary/tertiary rebounder for now

Hopefully he really impresses today

Isn’t that what we tried last year? Also think we’ve got so many forward options now that we need to use ability elsewhere.

That’s also a tough role and we need him to get his belief and confidence back first
I'd be discounting anything Milera did last year on the comeback trail after 2 years out.

Yeah, I really agree with this.

Personally, I think his vision and precision by foot could be a massive weapon off half back. I'd rather we focused on that and settled him there.

If he plays Hinge Dawson Rankine and Soligo occasionally off the wings they will be huge weapons for us

I'd wager at this point, we would be more open to releasing Smith into the wing then Dawson. After all, Dawson is our offensive cornerstone coming into '23.

Hinge is a good shout for it. Good height/size, tough, and seems the likely victim to a Worrell/Doedee defensive partnership. Seems a natural progression for him. That's something I can see. I'd also expect Soligo on the other side to start. Was his position at the end of last year.

Rankine/Rachele I could also see. I expect us to skip wing entirely with Rankine, but a healthy and firing Rachele could easily find himself here.

Sholl is another one I wouldn't be too quick to forget about. Even Cook/Taylor/Nank could find a spot here. Of course we'd be remiss to forget about Sloane as this is also a pretty natural progression whilst he winds down (though I do expect wing -> omitted by the mid of this year).

Not sure why it would be low priority

Outside offense is built from the half back line is the gist of the reason why.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon we’ll see whoever we use as our wings/half backs/half forwards rotate through both positions quite a bit

Includes Milera, Parnell, Sloane etc too, whenever they’re in the side

I'd wager at this point, we would be more open to releasing Smith into the wing then Dawson. After all, Dawson is our offensive cornerstone coming into '23.

Hinge is a good shout for it. Good height/size, tough, and seems the likely victim to a Worrell/Doedee defensive partnership. Seems a natural progression for him. That's something I can see. I'd also expect Soligo on the other side to start. Was his position at the end of last year.

Rankine/Rachele I could also see. I expect us to skip wing entirely with Rankine, but a healthy and firing Rachele could easily find himself here.

Sholl is another one I wouldn't be too quick to forget about. Even Cook/Taylor/Nank could find a spot here.

Hinge and Jones finished last season as predominant wings

By end of last year Soligo was playing forward and centre square mid which I think should be his go to again this season with occasional squirt only on wing

Rachele I like in centre square as his strong over the ball and clean at stoppages

Rankine endurance running is advanced hence an option for wing as he played there a bit last year , would love to see him prime centre square at times too

Reckon we’ll see whoever we use as our wings/half backs/half forwards rotate through both positions quite a bit

Includes Milera, Parnell, Sloane etc too, whenever they’re in the side
Yep … gotta say I’m concerned we will use sloane there as we don’t know where else to put him

Don’t reckon he’s what we need there

They are not playing Dawson on the wing, neither will Rankine roll through there either. Dawson will play back, just how far back depends on how much Nicks wants to mitigate the scoreboard damage
If the intention was truely to mitigate the opposition scoring goals, Dawson isn't the guy you send back. He's not a stopper.

The only reason that makes sense to send Dawson back is if our defence isn't getting the ball out of d50 to our midfield/ wings to score enough goals and we need a good ball user to drive offense from there. Hopefully that's fixed with Milera going back and Parnell etc improving. Dawson can then sit on a wing and drive offense into the f50.

Also played wing and half back for SA

In terms of AFL I think he’s looked most comfortable at half back and has never nailed a position anywhere else even though I’m not preferred to be harsh on him over last year coming back from 2 yrs out

We need some drive off half back and it’s an easier position to play so I think it’s a decent match

If John Noble can do it pretty well surely Wayne Milera can

If the intention was truely to mitigate the opposition scoring goals, Dawson isn't the guy you send back. He's not a stopper.

The only reason that makes sense to send Dawson back is if our defence isn't getting the ball out of d50 to our midfield/ wings to score enough goals and we need a good ball user to drive offense from there. Hopefully that's fixed with Milera going back and Parnell etc improving. Dawson can then sit on a wing and drive offense into the f50.
Yes this

Sholl is another one I wouldn't be too quick to forget about. Even Cook/Taylor/Nank could find a spot here. Of course we'd be remiss to forget about Sloane as this is also a pretty natural progression whilst he winds down (though I do expect wing -> omitted by the mid of this year).

Good wingman can carve you up

Yep … gotta say I’m concerned we will use sloane there as we don’t know where else to put him

Don’t reckon he’s what we need there
Problem is I can’t really see any other spot for him

I’m keeping an open mind as his skills could improve with more time and space, but he’ll still be a bit slow for the position I’m guessing

I’m keeping an open mind as his skills could improve with more time and space, but he’ll still be a bit slow for the position I’m guessing
Yep that’s my main concern , he will be struggling to keep up

We have other better options to really use the wing as a weapon

Yep that’s my main concern , he will be struggling to keep up

We have other better options to really use the wing as a weapon

You wonder if Nicks saw this too and thought no way can he be captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back