List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if not, we have a poor draft hand and a list in trouble, I’d be doing it
Take the opportunities as they present in the market... if people are trying to free up list spots and we can genuine improve our top 30 as they grab picks off others, we take that chance. But I would be looking at opportunities we can create with our list and our future 2nd.

Ben will be top 25 quality. Lucas isn’t as good as Ben but will be worth grabbing.

We are mad if we hold onto our future first round pick when considering our picks this year and the points situation.
That comes down to the quality of the top 5 and top 10 in 2024 on projections, the depth of that draft class, and where we project our ladder position with and without making the trade.

If we're bottom 6 next year because an exodus kicks off, I don't want to give that away.

Suns are the latest team to transition to fast/surge style footy. They beat crows last night using this style of play and it was their young fast gut running players applying the pressure around ball and surging it forward that turned the 30 pt deficit into a win.

Lukosish was up front and he finished off a lot of the hard work the younger running players. They were unstoppable.

I hope we target these types with whatever picks/trade opportunities we have.

Just our current first round pick and no second or third round picks.

Delists no trade value - Fogarty, Honey, Plowman, Philp, Martin, Ed Curnow
Possible, low trade value - Dow, O’Brien, Fisher, JSOS, McGovern, Carroll
Possible, high trade value - TDK

Prefer to keep - Kemp, Weitering, Z Williams, Saad, 5 x mids (Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy), McKay, Charlie, Motlop, C Durdin, Hollands, Cowan, Pittonett, Acres

Keep soldiering on - Young, Newman, Boyd, Docherty, Lemmey, Binns, Cincotta, Owies

Backing to get into best 22 - Marchbank, Cuningham

Rookies - O’Brien, Ed Curnow, Boyd, S Durdin, Cincotta, Mirkov, Cottrell, O’Keefe, Akuie (Cat b) [keep Boyd, Cincotta, Cottrell, O’Keeffe, Akuie (Cat b), consider adding Philp)

Need speed and foot skills, defenders that beat their man, mid-sized forward flanker (what we hoped Martin would be)

Suns are the latest team to transition to fast/surge style footy. They beat crows last night using this style of play and it was their young fast gut running players applying the pressure around ball and surging it forward that turned the 30 pt deficit into a win.

Lukosish was up front and he finished off a lot of the hard work the younger running players. They were unstoppable.

I hope we target these types with whatever picks/trade opportunities we have.

I missed most of the game but wasn’t their resurgence off brutal clearance numbers from Rowell in the 2nd / 3rd Q?
I’m sure Darwin is having an effect as well, the last 2 weeks they’ve been (substantially) down on the scoreboard before fighting back.

Lukosius with 5 each week with some fighting forwards in Humphrey, Rosas, Ainsworth & Holman with B.King & Casboult. We’re missing the small-mid forwards from our line-up.

With grunt Rowell & Anderson (+ Swallow) plus the giant efforts of Witts.

Their backline is actually rating extremely well as interceptors and contests (elite) with Ballard, Powell, Macpherson, Long & Collins.

I missed most of the game but wasn’t their resurgence off brutal clearance numbers from Rowell in the 2nd / 3rd Q?
I’m sure Darwin is having an effect as well, the last 2 weeks they’ve been (substantially) down on the scoreboard before fighting back.

Lukosius with 5 each week with some fighting forwards in Humphrey, Rosas, Ainsworth & Holman with B.King & Casboult. We’re missing the small-mid forwards from our line-up.

With grunt Rowell & Anderson (+ Swallow) plus the giant efforts of Witts.

Their backline is actually rating extremely well as interceptors and contests (elite) with Ballard, Powell, Macpherson, Long & Collins.
Rowell was great and agree humidity might have had an impact…

But based on the eye test those newish players (keep forgetting their names) were instrumental. Was a great team effort from defence to forwards but the running players (mids and half forwards) busted their arses.

Rowell was great and agree humidity might have had an impact…

But based on the eye test those newish players (keep forgetting their names) were instrumental. Was a great team effort from defence to forwards but the running players (mids and half forwards) busted their arses.
New players this year are B.Long from STK & T.Berry from Bris (Atkins is also playing ok since being promoted & D.Macpherson has been re-shaped down back) with Humphrey as their top pick showing plenty lately.

Rowell has improved dramatically from his down few years post injury and big Wittsy is a huge competitor & Anderson is a quality midfielder.

No Touk Miller either, which is good for the team work being shown.

Could this be the team after the bye?
Not a fan of McGovern’s efforts and perhaps Pitto replaces TDK & TDK for McGovern (though Young can be the 2nd ruck).
Need Hewett to return to form in the midfield.

IMG_1219.jpeg

Gold Coast most likely to look at a trade in regards to a future 1st but they are going to have a very tough time this year with their 2023 academy boys all performing well.

TDK Gov Fisher and Kennedy really our only players we could offload for draft picks.

Theres so many quality players in this years crop and our team is performing so poorly I really think massive changes should be made to the list. With FA, trading and at the draft.
Yep this will be the problem other chasing GC’s pick. They will be wanting a future first and probably a later second round pick this season for points. I imagine a few sides would be better placed then us considering the lack of picks we have this season.
I can’t really see the point of Melbourne of GWS trading there picks in such a strong draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a thought based on what a something I was told by a Geelong staffer...

Essentially the gist was players have 2 'skillsets' (for lack of a better word) and they perform best when their on field role suits both sets and not just one or the other. This apparently comes into their drafting philosophy a little bit too. IE to help avoid tweener types who play like fun forwards but never get the size (Crocker) etc...

The skillsets being athletic ability and then footballing ability. My example I guess being a Carlton one lets me then ask the question after, take L'Ob - athletic skillset say end to end all day runner - football skillset says front half only, ahead of the ball link player delivery type. Our 3 coaching teams that have worked with Lob have seemingly only focused on the athletics, he's always wide as ****, running one end to the other In a very strict wingers corridor and especially under Bolton with a defense first approach for a winger.

Are we (the club, not literally 'we here') getting this wrong? Is there too much focus on the athletics of a player and not enough on the footballing? Kennedys combined profile says he's a CBA expert who should rotate forward. Kemp seemingly similar, but the coaches seem to like his athleticism used as a negator for opposing forwards. On the flip side Saads in his right spot - rebounder matches the way he plays and his athleticism.

Idk but would love some opinions

Had a thought based on what a something I was told by a Geelong staffer...

Essentially the gist was players have 2 'skillsets' (for lack of a better word) and they perform best when their on field role suits both sets and not just one or the other. This apparently comes into their drafting philosophy a little bit too. IE to help avoid tweener types who play like fun forwards but never get the size (Crocker) etc...

The skillsets being athletic ability and then footballing ability. My example I guess being a Carlton one lets me then ask the question after, take L'Ob - athletic skillset say end to end all day runner - football skillset says front half only, ahead of the ball link player delivery type. Our 3 coaching teams that have worked with Lob have seemingly only focused on the athletics, he's always wide as *, running one end to the other In a very strict wingers corridor and especially under Bolton with a defense first approach for a winger.

Are we (the club, not literally 'we here') getting this wrong? Is there too much focus on the athletics of a player and not enough on the footballing? Kennedys combined profile says he's a CBA expert who should rotate forward. Kemp seemingly similar, but the coaches seem to like his athleticism used as a negator for opposing forwards. On the flip side Saads in his right spot - rebounder matches the way he plays and his athleticism.

Idk but would love some opinions
For me if LOB was a front half player then he would likely need to be tackling and be able to win contests which doesn’t suit him imo.
I think that a balanced team is more important then individuals. You may not be able to play every individual to their strengths because their weaknesses have to be covered by someone else.

Last edited:
Could this be the team after the bye?
Not a fan of McGovern’s efforts and perhaps Pitto replaces TDK & TDK for McGovern (though Young can be the 2nd ruck).
Need Hewett to return to form in the midfield.

View attachment 1704196

I doubt we’ll drop Acres and I would rather see Kemp play down back for this year at least although I wouldn’t rule Kemp out to play on the wing one day.

Also I’m completely out on Young as a key defender - he is hopeless - he only plays as a back up ruck resting forward if Pitto or TDK are unavailable.

I think we need to play 2 rucks. We could plan to sub one off depending on the state of the game. I never want to see SOS rucking for us again.

Gov can’t play back. He drops so many marks and isn’t willing to put his body on the line to kill a contest, so if he plays it’s as a forward. At least he can kick unlike Sos.

We’ve held onto Marchy for so long in the hope he come good so we should see if he can play out the rest of the season. He’ll likely be delisted at the end of the year.

I also do not want to see Fisher, LOB, Ed, Plowman or Motlop in the league team again this year. They are not afl level. Only Motlop is worth keeping on the list long term.

O’Keefe, Lemney, Mirkov and Akeui are unplayable in the league side this year so the most we can hope for is they continue improving in the 2s.

Carroll needs to play well once he returns from injury. The odds are the is increasingly looking like another draft bust having regressed badly this year.

I’d only pick the team from the squad of players below:

Backs: Saad, Weitering, Kemp
H/Backs: Boyd, Marchbank, Docherty
Centres: Acres, Cripps, Walsh
H/Forwards Cuningham, McKay, Martin
Forwards: Gov, Charlie, Owies
Rucks: Pittonet, Cerra, Hewett
Interchange: Binns, TDK, Dow, Cincotta

Emergencies: Silvagni, Kennedy, C Durdin, S Durdin, Fog, Hollands, Cowan, Cotts, Honey, Carroll

I know it won’t happen and he’s contracted etc., but how handy would Shai Bolton be at the Blues.

I know it won’t happen and he’s contracted etc., but how handy would Shai Bolton be at the Blues.
Yes this is the type of player we needed. Speedy small runner that can win ground contest. We need a few of them.

But guess who we got in the the trade period. A 193cm slow midfielder - bloody Acres.

Yes this is the type of player we needed. Speedy small runner that can win ground contest. We need a few of them.

But guess who we got in the the trade period. A 193cm slow midfielder - bloody Acres.
I don't remember Shai Bolton being available for a future 3rd but Acres was a cheap upgrade on the wing and good business.

On 2201116PG using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don’t go there, I rekon most wanted him at the Fisher pick
Maybe on draft day but Fisher was actually a big pre-draft favourite on Carlton forums. We seem to love trying to recreate the mosquito fleet with close to bargain basement picks. You get what you pay for, less if you are deliberately trying to confine your expectations to a particular type of player.

Last edited:
After watching Yeo yesterday he's exactly the type of player we need.
It's got the stay at home can't see it happening thing about it, and a lot wouldn't want him because he has been mostly injured the last couple of seasons.
Personally I'd take him in a heartbeat.

After watching Yeo yesterday he's exactly the type of player we need.
It's got the stay at home can't see it happening thing about it, and a lot wouldn't want him because he has been mostly injured the last couple of seasons.
Personally I'd take him in a heartbeat.

He had a presence around the contest (was at ground level yesterday), imposed himself to win the ball.

Played a massive game vs us at Etihad a few years back.

Injuries bringing him down far too often however.

Depends what happens with TDK, if he stays, suspect we will look to trade our 24 1st round into the upcoming draft.

We can do both.

Pick 5-8
F1 into first this year
Top 25 pick for TDK

We will be able to replace TDK with a cheaper ruckman (Flynn, Bryan, Naismith, Hayes), hopefully Mirkov and HOK can continue developing. That’s plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back