Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't sleep on Leake with one of our mid/late R1 picks.

He's a pretty interesting prospect, in that he's been simultaneously one of the best medium/tall defenders of the year, one of the best medium forwards when down there and at times one of the best tall midfielders like in the final against Eastern.

He's killed it in pretty much every role this year, he has really good athleticism and obviously excellent footy IQ. He's tough, really good one on one and attacks the footy and rebounds really well.

Up forward he's a massive handful with his contested marking and ability on the lead. He plays a bit like Mihocek when down there.

He's also a beautiful kick of the football, which we need in defence.

The only difference between Leake and Curtin is the fact there's about 5cm difference. I'd argue Leake has probably been as well performed over the same range of positions as Curtin, maybe even better this year.

At 6"3, he plays alot taller than what he is, "rangy" is a good description. He's pretty much the same height as Tom Stewart and would play that Stewart/Vlaustin role at AFL level if in defence. He's already a powerful young kid, when he fills out he's going to be a very solid 190cm type.

He reminds me of Weddle last year (not in playing style - as Josh was an athletic beast first and foremost), in that he's killed it all year but still flying relatively under the radar in that 15-20 range.

He's going to have a long AFL career and I think ends up in the best 10 players from this draft long term.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who wants us to stay away from Duursma?

I'm just so thoroughly unimpressed with his tape. Like, the kid can play. But he shouldn't be in consideration for a top 5 pick. There's a big gap between guys like McKercher, Sanders, Watson, Curtin, and him.

I'm just so thoroughly unimpressed with his tape. Like, the kid can play. But he shouldn't be in consideration for a top 5 pick. There's a big gap between guys like McKercher, Sanders, Watson, Curtin, and him.
Agree . And hard to believe but by all reports a bigger flog than his older brother

Filling in some of the gaps in my back catalogue.

Not Nate Caddy's strongest game. In spite of the lopsided scoreline, this game was relatively even in general play. Northern just struggled to convert its opportunities inside 50. Caddy dropped a few marks that he would normally grab, and struggled to find space with his leads.

Maybe I'm wrong but he's very underwhelming. Yeah he's raw and athletic but he consistently makes poor decisions. I'm not sure you can teach that kind of footy IQ. Be interesting to see if he slides because of it.

💯. In the same boat. Also have 5-6 of his type. He would be the one I am most disappointed in us taking in the top 10. Leave him to Hawks

Maybe I'm wrong but he's very underwhelming. Yeah he's raw and athletic but he consistently makes poor decisions. I'm not sure you can teach that kind of footy IQ. Be interesting to see if he slides because of it.

I'm with you. I wouldn't be outlaying anything below 14 for him, there's too many red flags around his kicking, size, AFL position.

Now look at Leake, who is basically the same height, shifting forward and kicking 5 in a similar role Caddy plays.

Remembering this is one of the best defenders in the draft pool, that can also run through the midfield.

He's basically the defensive version of Caddy. But he's a beautiful kick and has multiple clear roles in the AFL imo.

I'd take Leake ahead of Caddy personally.

I am somewhat besotted with Harley Reid unfortunately. (**** you Val Keating)

Still don't want us to overpay (please) but would like him to arrive at Arden Street on draft day.
It ain't happening KC and you know it if he comes to Arden Street then we've overpaid it will just come down to how much we overpay.

I'm with you. I wouldn't be outlaying anything below 14 for him, there's too many red flags around his kicking, size, AFL position.

Now look at Leake, who is basically the same height, shifting forward and kicking 5 in a similar role Caddy plays.

Remembering this is one of the best defenders in the draft pool, that can also run through the midfield.

He's basically the defensive version of Caddy. But he's a beautiful kick and has multiple clear roles in the AFL imo.

I'd take Leake ahead of Caddy personally.

This is a huge call, I know, but watch that vid and tell me you don't see a touch of Nat Fyfe in that bloke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a huge call, I know, but watch that vid and tell me you don't see a touch of Nat Fyfe in that bloke

Well, you will like this mashup, as it’s from the prelim a few weeks ago.

Starts the game up forward, kicks 2 opening term goals, then is moved into the guts and is one of Tassies best on the ground

I am somewhat besotted with Harley Reid unfortunately. (**** you Val Keating)

Still don't want us to overpay (please) but would like him to arrive at Arden Street on draft day.
54251c28f40ce1fd5fb742226677c101.jpg

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Lads. The Eagles aren't taking Curtin at 1. Far less confident that our draft people wouldn't take him at 2 (I hope not, just isn't our need. We need top tier mids).
Happy to debate worth, godfather offers, fair offers, what Reid/pick 1 is worth, but believing that Reid makes it to 2 is fallacy.
I hope like f*** that we don’t trade any of our first three picks(2,3?,14). They can do whatever they like with the PP’s though. One of our missing puzzle pieces is a quality FB/CHB. Curtin could be the guy. Reid is definitely going to west coast at this point

Bloody hell were spoilt rotten in this draft.

We can do a big overpay for Reid and still have a couple more first rounders to use.

Or we can draft McKercher and another top 5 player, then have a couple more firsts, at least.

Or we can do a trade to have three picks in the top 5.

What a great spot to be in!

I was reading up on Zane Zakostelsky (whom everyone is calling ZZ Top). 196cm just won the best on ground in the wafl colts game that Curtin also played in. Played as an undersized ruckman and had 22 possessions.

But he apparently ran a 2.85 20m in pre season testing and has only been playing footy for 2 years after switching from basketball (also had a massive leap).

Well, you will like this mashup, as it’s from the prelim a few weeks ago.

Starts the game up forward, kicks 2 opening term goals, then is moved into the guts and is one of Tassies best on the ground

Would love him in defence.

We need a flexible mid-sized stopper who won't butcher the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back