Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley is such a standout pick 1 that it makes me think about hoping McKay takes FA and we get pick 2 as compo if we finish last.

We can then split the extra pick or take Nick Watson.

Watson kicked 7.7 in three quarters the weekend just gone for Caulfield and he’s a pretty decent consolation prize for not finishing last. Then again Reid really is that good.

It’s also interesting that both boys will be lining up for the AFL Academy side against Carlton’s VFL team who have the bye.
Reid having played the last two weeks for Carlton’s VFL team is also a quirk but the AFL Academy team takes precedence.

The "Brander replacement" jokes have already started over on the Eagles board.

Don't wish that on the poor kid!

It's weird though...it's like they are trying to highlight his versatility, even though he was already tracking to be an elite key defender and a top 5 pick.

I really didn't rate his game in the midfield on the weekend, and he hasn't done all that well playing as a forward. Just hope he plays as a defender come the national champs

Highly-touted prospect Jed Walter produced one the most dominant displays ever recorded by an under-18 talent, kicking 8.3 in a Herculean performance in the Coates Talent League.

The bustling Suns Academy key forward finished with a statline that had to be seen to be believed: 19 disposals, 18 score involvements, 15 contested possessions, eight goals, six contested marks and a whopping 283 SuperCoach points against the Northern Territory Thunder at Heritage Bank Arena.

His jaw-dropping effort was the second-ranked performance in Coates Talent League history, topping eventual No.1 pick Matt Rowell’s 282-point stunner in 2018.

Walter, a likely top-10 talent in this year’s draft, wowed recruiters with his competitiveness, contested marking, follow-up work and speed, a lethal combination for a forward standing 194cm.

NT Thunder have struggled throughout the season, with the Gold Coast Academy inflicting their third consecutive loss by 100 points or more, but that should take nothing away from Walter’s exploits.

Gold Coast fans would be licking their lips at the prospect of a potential key forward tandem of Ben King – if he recommits to the club beyond 2024 - and Walter.

But where the Suns finish on the ladder will be a fascinating watch, given a rival bid for Walter could fall before their first selection, currently at pick six.

Walter earned All-Australian status as a bottom-ager at the national championships last year after booting nine goals in four matches for the Allies.

He’s is a monster for a 17 year old, keen to watch him in the academy game in good conditions unlike the Port Adelaide game

Harley is such a standout pick 1 that it makes me think about hoping McKay takes FA and we get pick 2 as compo if we finish last.

We can then split the extra pick or take Nick Watson.

Watson kicked 7.7 in three quarters the weekend just gone for Caulfield and he’s a pretty decent consolation prize for not finishing last. Then again Reid really is that good.

It’s also interesting that both boys will be lining up for the AFL Academy side against Carlton’s VFL team who have the bye.
Reid having played the last two weeks for Carlton’s VFL team is also a quirk but the AFL Academy team takes precedence.
Not too sure what to make of this . We’ve sat on the bottom of the ladder for 3 years now at some stage we need to start winning games . Would people prefer we finished last yet again this year and take Reid or win a few and show some promise and get say puck 5 or 6? Just feels like we are constantly stuck in this loop

Hello lads, I’ve come to propose a trade. Hawthorn Banned me from there thread but I’ve heard the people are abit nicer in the North Melbourne, Anyway this is the trade.
North Receive: Harley Reid and Rotham(why not)
Weagles Receive:Sheezel, Zuhaar, Warlord, Larkey, LDU,JHF(wait never mind) and your next 7 first round picks.
Any way good luck on your season lads.
DONT let this man anywhere near Brady Rawlings !!!

Not too sure what to make of this . We’ve sat on the bottom of the ladder for 3 years now at some stage we need to start winning games . Would people prefer we finished last yet again this year and take Reid or win a few and show some promise and get say puck 5 or 6? Just feels like we are constantly stuck in this loop

I want us to start winning. But what I want and get may not marry up. So I’m prepared for the possibility of Harley Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I just like the underdog story but I almost want Watson more, just because it would be a cool story if he ends up better but was underrated for being short.

Short or not his talent is undeniable. He’d absolutely fit our list build perfectly.

Few highlight clips below thanks to noobermensch.

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Academy Game

Short or not his talent is undeniable. He’d absolutely fit our list build perfectly.

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Academy Game

If you want similar vids of any of the other top prospects I'm building a library on my youtube page. Feel free to send me a message if you'd like me to add anyone I haven't covered yet.

rb.gy/seab0

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Academy Game

Meh
I don't get the fanfare with Watto on here. He's a great player but I'd be disappointed with #2 or #3. He's very flashy but his skills are pretty poor. Turns it over constantly and gets caught with the ball too often.

Not sure about Watson with his size. Speed is good but can he play midfield like Lachie Neale or is he just a small forward long term?
How does he fit if players like Sheezel/Harvey/George potentially get used as forward line players long term in the side?

Don't know as much as others but I like the sound of the kicking of Durrsma, speed/kicking of Wilson or size and running power of a Freijah and a key position like Caddy. If McKay goes that would certainly make it interesting. We have so many holes to address.
Any chance we could get a 2nd round pick to take a slider via trade?

Not sure about Watson with his size. Speed is good but can he play midfield like Lachie Neale or is he just a small forward long term?
How does he fit if players like Sheezel/Harvey/George potentially get used as forward line players long term in the side?

Don't know as much as others but I like the sound of the kicking of Durrsma, speed/kicking of Wilson or size and running power of a Freijah and a key position like Caddy. If McKay goes that would certainly make it interesting. We have so many holes to address.
He's 1cm shorter than Kossie Pickett, who I'm sure every club would like on their list.

Think Toby Greene like when referencing Watson

The clips of Watson are interesting, based of the clips and only the clips I'd be worried if we take him at our first pick. There is a lot of stuff in them that won't translate to AFL level.

Is he going to play at VFL level this year, i'd be interested to see him compete against some bigger bodies?

YOUNG GUN TO PLAY VFL

HAWTHORN will get a close look at exciting draft prospect Nick Watson this season, with the small forward expected to play games with Box Hill in the VFL.

Watson trained with the Hawks last pre-season and over summer as part of his program with the AFL Academy.

After a standout bottom-age season in which he kicked 18 goals for the Eastern Ranges and also performed well for Vic Metro at the under-18 championships, Watson enters his draft campaign with high hopes this season.

The electric small forward played in the Ranges' practice match last week and on Saturday will line up for them in their Coates Talent League season-opener against the Sandringham Dragons.

As part of his program this season, in between his commitments with Eastern and Caulfield Grammar, the high-flying and elusive goalkicker is likely to play a handful of games with Box Hill Hawks to further prepare him for the top level at the end of the season. – Callum Twomey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back