Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are peoples thoughts on eventual ladder position come the end of the year? Would we like the hawks to win a few and jump above us which would leave us and eagles at the bottom. Would the eagles be prepared to gamble taking Reid 1 with the go home factor? It seems like ground hog day here yet again . The mentality that if we lose games we may end up winning in terms of drafting (must admit its getting pretty tiring). Add into that the possibility if Ben leaves as Band 1 compo. Are we in a position that we can again go to the afl and ask for priority assistance? (hopefully the * coach doesnt get the role in determining)

I want us to start winning. But what I want and get may not marry up. So I’m prepared for the possibility of Harley Reid.

I am back in full tank mode, play Turners, Lazzaro, CCJ, Young, Bonars etc.

Micky it was a beautiful two weeks of winning, the club according to my sources will be releasing a DVD simply titled, "The Spree".

It will have special guests from years gone by, who will discuss what a wonderful two weeks it really was. Apparently Adrian McAdam will swing by, a funny man, he quipped that we as in the team only managed 4 goals against the Sainters and he'd kicked 9.2 against the Pies after pulling four cones the morning of the game.

He thought and wisely that he probably shouldn't drive to the game but get picked up. Smart man is our Adrian.

I do miss the glory days and the mayhem under the astute leadership of Dennis Pagan.

oh well

I am back in full tank mode, play Turners, Lazzaro, CCJ, Young, Bonars etc.

Micky it was a beautiful two weeks of winning, the club according to my sources will be releasing a DVD simply titled, "The Spree".

It will have special guests from years gone by, who will discuss what a wonderful two weeks it really was. Apparently Adrian McAdam will swing by, a funny man, he quipped that we as in the team only managed 4 goals against the Sainters and he'd kicked 9.2 against the Pies after pulling four cones the morning of the game.

He thought and wisely that he probably shouldn't drive to the game but get picked up. Smart man is our Adrian.

I do miss the glory days and the mayhem under the astute leadership of Dennis Pagan.

oh well
Gotta feel for WA supporters. The only time we take apart WA teams is the least successful era in the team's modern history.

What are peoples thoughts on eventual ladder position come the end of the year? Would we like the hawks to win a few and jump above us which would leave us and eagles at the bottom. Would the eagles be prepared to gamble taking Reid 1 with the go home factor? It seems like ground hog day here yet again . The mentality that if we lose games we may end up winning in terms of drafting (must admit its getting pretty tiring). Add into that the possibility if Ben leaves as Band 1 compo. Are we in a position that we can again go to the afl and ask for priority assistance? (hopefully the * coach doesnt get the role in determining)

Hawf to run last and lose their draft picks would be ideal.

Hawf to run last and lose their draft picks would be ideal.

I think the Hawfs can rise up the ladders, I did the predictor and it has us beating the Crow in Adelaide. Not sure where that came from. Then has us beating the Eagle in WA. Nah **** that, we will be last.

I see the Spoons are playing at a folk music festival. Reckon our squad should attend in full North kit.

1683849494011.png

I think the Hawfs can rise up the ladders, I did the predictor and it has us beating the Crow in Adelaide. Not sure where that came from. Then has us beating the Eagle in WA. Nah * that, we will be last.

I see the Spoons are playing at a folk music festival. Reckon our squad should attend in full North kit.

View attachment 1684960

It would be quite amusing if the Hawk spent all year tanking and then lost the number 1 pick. I’m looking forward to Hawk v Eagle already.

Watson is an absolute gun. He is the only one that can challenge Reid for the #1 pick. His size is not a problem. Every club that decides to pass on him will rue it in years to come. I can’t see him getting past pick 2. Real keen to see him in full flight tmrw night against the Blues on a dry deck.

I reckon his game translates for sure. He runs & weaves with a sound kicking action on the run kicking long and short. Also puts his head over it and harasses the opposition. Accumulates easily.

A lot to play out, with some interesting games:

Hawks v WC @ UTas
Hawks v Us @ Marvel
Hawks Vs Freo @ MCG in last round

WC vs Us at Optus Stadium

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson is an absolute gun. He is the only one that can challenge Reid for the #1 pick. His size is not a problem. Every club that decides to pass on him will rue it in years to come. I can’t see him getting past pick 2. Real keen to see him in full flight tmrw night against the Blues on a dry deck.

Yeah 5'5" is very short. I do agree we could do with his pace. You want Powell?

It might be a tad premature to be having this conversation... but on the weekend Curtin played as a primary onballer for Claremont in the colts. He dominated stoppages. The idea of a 195cm onballer with that level of ball winning plus agility and elite disposal, marking prowess etc. Its only one game but if IF he starts turning out those kind of performances as a midfielder then I think he could challenge Harley for pick 1, or at least become a clear pick 2.

Another mid might not fit the Roos list build though?

I advise watching past the first quarter in this vid... it was his first time playing on ball and took him a little while to find his feet. Ended up with 28 disposals and 12 tackles + a ton of clearances.

It might be a tad premature to be having this conversation... but on the weekend Curtin played as a primary onballer for Claremont in the colts. He dominated stoppages. The idea of a 195cm onballer with that level of ball winning plus agility and elite disposal, marking prowess etc. Its only one game but if IF he starts turning out those kind of performances as a midfielder then I think he could challenge Harley for pick 1, or at least become a clear pick 2.

I advise watching past the first quarter in this vid... it was his first time playing on ball and took him a little while to find his feet. Ended up with 28 disposals and 12 tackles + a ton of clearances.

We could definitely use a 195cm midfielder - we don’t have many of any 190+ mids - he definitely is a tantalising prospect wherever he plays. The only thing is that if we drafted this kid, he would not touch the midfield, we need key position that badly.

We could definitely use a 195cm midfielder - we don’t have many of any 190+ mids - he definitely is a tantalising prospect wherever he plays. The only thing is that if we drafted this kid, he would not touch the midfield, we need key position that badly.
Another tall midfield option is Sandringham's Will Brown. Anyone seen his work? Souup

Another tall midfield option is Sandringham's Will Brown. Anyone seen his work? Souup

Despite his size he doesn't really play as a tall midfielder. Really panicked with his disposal and has no left foot which he hasn't quite worked out how to hide. Not a one touch player at this stage either and can be a bit fumbly.

There's something there to work with but he needs to step up his physicality and improve his composure. 3rd rounder at best at this stage for me.

WC run last and draft this kid, Hawthorn have their draft picks taken off them, then we swoop in and take Reid.

Very nice. Clean ball handling with that size, hmmm.

AFL draft: Academy bolter, Harley Reid to feature for AFL Academy, Nick Watson’s positional move and more​

An AFL club may have to match an earlier bid than first thought for this young gun. Averaging 145 ranking points is no mean feat. Plus more on Harley Reid and the 2023 draft crop.

@chriscavanagh1

5 min read
May 12, 2023 - 3:15PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

AFL Academy coach Tarkyn Lockyer says likely No. 1 draft pick Harley Reid is “not a finished product” yet but has been handling the attention on him well in the early part of the year.

Recruiters believe Reid is a clear standout in this year’s draft pool and that any team wanting to trade for the No. 1 pick to secure him would potentially have to give up three other top-10 picks in return.

Reid has spent the past two weeks playing in the VFL with Carlton, where he has been particularly impressive across halfback.

However, the 18-year-old’s teammates will become his opponents on Saturday when he plays for the AFL Academy side in an exhibition match against Carlton’s VFL side at Marvel Stadium.

“Like every player that comes out of the out of the talent programs, he’s certainly not a finished product,” Lockyer said of Reid.

“He’s got opportunities to continue to grow in his game and we’ll support all of his other programs with that as well. He’s on a journey but he’s going pretty well. Half of the job is actually trying to stay out of his way a little bit. He’s a clear talent so you’ve got to let him do his thing.”

Lockyer said Reid had been largely unfazed by the attention he was receiving and was firmly focused on each of his football programs this year.
“He’s been terrific,” Lockyer said.

“The one really good thing about Harley and all of the programs that he’s associated with — Bendigo, Vic Country and the AFL Academy — is that we’re all in really good alignment on where he’s at.

“He’s got some great support around him and we feel like we’re setting him up pretty well.”

The AFL Academy side is playing a second exhibition match this year, having also taken on Port Adelaide’s SANFL side during Gather Round last month.
“One of the main philosophies around the Academy experience is learning,” Lockyer said.

“With the first one, everything that’s associated with the game is just a little bit different. There are opportunities to grow and put some strategies in place to better prepare the second time around.”

Saturday’s match kicks off at 4.10pm and will be played as a curtain-raiser to Carlton’s AFL match against the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium that night.

WATSON TRIALLING NEW ROLE

The most exciting small forward in this year’s draft pool is set to again feature across halfback for the AFL Academy team on Saturday.

Eastern Ranges product Nick Watson played a half in defence for the AFL Academy team during its match against Port Adelaide’s SANFL team last month and impressed.

Watson spent much of his juniors playing as a midfielder, before settling as a crafty goalkicking small forward in recent years.

“The majority of our group are midfield-forwards,” Lockyer said.

“So we have to try and give players opportunity to experience something else. With Nick, we had a bit of a look at it through the Eastern Rangers in the Coates Talent League. He played a little bit of halfback there and I was keen to use him there. We saw his clean hands, decision making and ball use by foot.

I thought he looked pretty comfortable back there so I wouldn’t be surprised if he sits behind the ball again at some stage on Saturday.”

Watson kicked five goals across his first three games for the Ranges this season, after averaging 2.6 goals a game from seven matches in his bottom-age season last year.
Small forward Nick Watson has found himself in a new role across halfback at stages this year. Picture: Getty Images

Small forward Nick Watson has found himself in a new role across halfback at stages this year. Picture: Getty Images

ROGERS BOLTING UP DRAFT BOARDS

The Gold Coast Suns may have to match an earlier than expected bid on Jake Rogers in this year’s national draft after a hot start to the year from the midfielder.

The Suns Academy member – who is also part of the AFL Academy squad – has been one of the early-season bolters.

Across three Coates Talent League matches, he has averaged 26 disposals, 7 tackles, 6.7 clearances, 5.7 score involvements and 145 ranking points.

Rogers also impressed for the AFL Academy side in its first exhibition match against Port Adelaide’s SANFL side last month, racking up 12 disposals, seven tackles and a goal.

“Jake’s had a fantastic pre-season,” Lockyer said.

“Like all of the Gold Coast Academy players that are in the AFL Academy, he got the opportunity to pretty much do a full pre-season with the Suns. So the physical preparation and the learning and the training standards that Jake was exposed to have clearly set him up to be pretty successful so far this year.

He’s got speed and he values working both sides of the ball in offence and defence. He had some extraordinary numbers of tackles. He’s one that’s certainly pretty exciting for us.”

Gold Coast Academy prospect Jake Rogers has had a big start to the season. Picture: Getty Images

Gold Coast Academy prospect Jake Rogers has had a big start to the season. Picture: Getty Images

STEVENS LEADING FROM THE FRONT

He has played just a handful of games this year after returning from an ACL injury that sidelined him for almost 18 months, but highly-rated draft prospect George Stevens hasn’t missed a beat so far this season.

Stevens logged 16 disposals in his VFL debut for Geelong a fortnight ago, after producing some big games for the Greater Western Victoria Rebels in the first three rounds of the Coates Talent League season.

Viewed as an inside midfielder in the long-term, Stevens has been playing a new role across halfback in the early part of the season as he has returned to footy and built his match fitness back up.

He will again play for the AFL Academy side on Saturday, after racking up 19 disposals and six rebound 50s in the side’s first exhibition match against Port Adelaide’s SANFL side.

“He stepped back into the Coates League in the early rounds and performed pretty well and he’s feeling quite confident,” Lockyer said.

“Over the past couple of weeks he got an opportunity to go and play with Geelong’s VFL team, which was terrific. The other thing with George is his leadership and standing within the group developed really quickly. He’s got an ability to bring people together so his impact on the group has been quite significant.”

Stevens hails from South Warrnambool Football Club — the same country club that produced star Brisbane Lions midfielder Hugh McCluggage.
His brother, Archie Stevens, is playing VFL football with Carlton.

George Stevens has been leading from the front since returning from an ACL injury this year. Picture: Getty Images

George Stevens has been leading from the front since returning from an ACL injury this year. Picture: Getty Images

TASSIE MIDFIELDER EXCITING

A new Tasmanian AFL team is generating added interest in talent from the Apple Isle and one of the best this year is Colby McKercher.

The midfielder has made an impressive start to the season, having been likened by recruiters to being a quicker version of Essendon captain Zach Merrett.

In his first four games for the Tasmania Devils in the Coates Talent League, McKercher has averaged 31.3 disposals, 8 score involvements, 6 clearances and 0.8 goals for a total of 129 ranking points.

He was also one of the better players for the AFL Academy side in its first exhibition match against Port Adelaide’s SANFL team and will feature again against Carlton’s VFL side on Saturday.

“Colby is a really exciting talent,” Lockyer said.

“His season last year as a bottom-ager for the Tassie Devils was terrific. He got an opportunity to play for the Allies and then this year he’s taken it up another step again. He’s certainly one player that knows how to find the football and he’s got great speed and really good awareness as well. He’s certainly one to keep an eye on.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back