Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure if I can take shouting at the TV anymore . The back line is full of potoatos with numbers on their on them . Time to delist a few or move some on . Corr Mackay spicer ect . Why was hall dropped . This is so irritating it’s ridiculous. Talk about frustration.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m against Watson because I think we have bigger needs.

Yesterday we scored from 1/2 our F50 entries, which is great going. The problem is we can’t get it in our F50 enough.

Fix the back 6 and get better ball users and speed out of the back half and better ball use into the F50.

I’m against Watson because I think we have bigger needs.

Yesterday we scored from 1/2 our F50 entries, which is great going. The problem is we can’t get it in our F50 enough.

Fix the back 6 and get better ball users and speed out of the back half and better ball use into the F50.

It’s an interesting discussion. We really need genuine small forward, key position depth at both ends of the ground and outside runners. I can’t even begin to guess how you could prioritise them, because each are as important as one another.

To me, the game is so geared towards running capacity and scores off turnovers that a strong/powerful running wing and dashing half back are definitely high on our list of needs.

I think Goater and Bergman floating across half back seriously helps the back half, but I’d still like another developing half back.

Nathan Philactides and Riley Hardeman are really good options as half backs around Port’s pick. Philactides loves to run the ball 20 and kick 40+, he is very suited to the modern game.

I believe he was cleared back to Adelaide on compassionate grounds. His brother passed and he wanted to be close to family. Something like that.

Yep. Scott's brother was tragically killed in a car accident in 1998. Scott's career at North really started to gel in 1998 and he asked to break contract to go home but Pagan refused.

To both parties credit - Pagan's football judgement and Scott's professionalism - 1999 turned out well as we know, Scott developed into a really nice player and a premiership one at that.

He predictably asked for a trade at season's end and had we not got sucked into the Colbert shark jump trade (my thoughts well discussed here) it would've been a decent outcome - Scott went home and Crows gave us a 1st rounder (#13 before um, something called "priority picks" were assigned) and might've even added some change.

We then gave the 2x 1st rounders, 1x 3rd rounder AND Cameron Mooney for Colbert and a 4th rounder.

It’s an interesting discussion. We really need genuine small forward, key position depth at both ends of the ground and outside runners. I can’t even begin to guess how you could prioritise them, because each are as important as one another.

To me, the game is so geared towards running capacity and scores off turnovers that a strong/powerful running wing and dashing half back are definitely high on our list of needs.

I think Goater and Bergman floating across half back seriously helps the back half, but I’d still like another developing half back.

Nathan Philactides and Riley Hardeman are really good options as half backs around Port’s pick. Philactides loves to run the ball 20 and kick 40+, he is very suited to the modern game.
Pick 3 (McKay Compo) to GWS for 8, 10 and a player salary dump.

2, 8, 10, 18 and a GWS player.

2 - Watson
8 - Wilson
10 - O'Sullivan
18 - Philactides or Mature aged trade
GWS player

2 - Watson
8 - Wilson
10 - O'Sullivan
GWS player
I think this approach has a lot of merit Sherm, who we take at those picks can be debated, but we clearly lack talent in so many areas. Having seen the impact high-end talent (Sheezel and Wardlaw) can have on the team it makes sense to get as many top 10 picks as we can. Would much prefer this approach than going all in to try and get pick 1 for Harley Reid (as great as he will be).

Last edited:

Goater coming on and Bergman continuing his development will help, we need a couple more like you said.

Powell getting more ball through the midfield will help as he’s one that makes good decisions when entering F50. Thomas another who improves us but again we need another couple.

I think a small forward would be great, but let’s address other key areas first.

I like the idea of adding two state league players like Stoddart and Mannagh who you are keen on.

2 - Watson
8 - Wilson
10 - O'Sullivan
GWS player
I like this move.

Turning McKay into 2 top 10 picks.

But on the flip side, if we start our rise up the ladder next year.

(even if we we only win 6 or so games).

It might be the last time for a while we have a top 5 pick in the National draft.

So should we stock up on top 5 picks now, while we have the chance?

Will P - Sheez - Wardlaw - plus another 2 this year?

Makes 5.

2 - Watson
8 - Wilson
10 - O'Sullivan
GWS player

I like the idea. But to test it - pick 3 is the region you get a Josh Kelly or Dustin Martin. Tread carefully with on-trading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back