Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know bugger all about O'Sullivan aside from analysts' write-ups, he might be an incredible prospect.

But an 85kg KPD doesn't sound particularly plug-n-play to me?

And if McKay goes, surely we need an viable replacement who can contribute from round 1.

I wonder whether WC would bite at pick 10 for Barrass.

O’Sullivan will take a couple of years to get his body to the size required to play on the big key forwards. He’ll end up being a big solid lad once he has completely filled out though.

If McKay leaves we’ll definitely need to pick up some mature age depth, having Corr and Logue as our only two seasoned Key defenders would be incredible dumb list management

Mr Kangas, you keep throwing little tidbits in here……what’s going on?
All l'm saying is most have him leaving and yet nothing has been announced yet...l would just wait and see what happens and then act on the announcement when it comes and not before...

Reid looked good on the weekend but not close to the level that they rave about (being worth 3 first rounders).

He seems like a good medium forward. A little bit like Paul Curtis. Similar size. Worse fend off. Not a ball magnet but makes a highlight or two each match. Good one-on-one contested marker.

If Sheezel played his split of mid/fwd then he probably gets 25+ possessions and 4 goals, and relies less on overpowering less developed players.

I've only watched on the weekend and last years metro/country match so I might not be the most informed and maybe he will show more in the coming games.

Reid looked good on the weekend but not close to the level that they rave about (being worth 3 first rounders).

He seems like a good medium forward. A little bit like Paul Curtis. Similar size. Worse fend off. Not a ball magnet but makes a highlight or two each match. Good one-on-one contested marker.

If Sheezel played his split of mid/fwd then he probably gets 25+ possessions and 4 goals, and relies less on overpowering less developed players.

I've only watched on the weekend and last years metro/country match so I might not be the most informed and maybe he will show more in the coming games.

He was a little bit under done coming into the game after a month off, but I still would’ve expected a bit more. He didn’t really have much of an impact after the first quarter. I still have him is ranked number 1 but I haven’t seen enough this year to suggest he will be a generational talent on the same level as Daicos, JHF, Ashcroft, Wardlaw or Sheezel.

The more I watch of this years draft pool the more I think it’s pretty light on, can’t remember a draft where there was only two proven gun midfielders (McKercher & Sanders) inside the top 10.

Elite small forwards are such difference makers as we have learnt to our detriment many times over. It is for this reason that I personally lean towards Watson as our pick.
While we are at it, can we please get an effective lockdown small back?

We have been pantsed by so many great small forwards over the years, it would just be nice for opposition smalls not to kick bags on us.

O’Sullivan will take a couple of years to get his body to the size required to play on the big key forwards. He’ll end up being a big solid lad once he has completely filled out though.

If McKay leaves we’ll definitely need to pick up some mature age depth, having Corr and Logue as our only two seasoned Key defenders would be incredible dumb list management
Cheers cobber.

Appreciate that predicting list changes at this stage of the year are seldom more reliable than astrological charts, but do you have any thoughts about which roles North should fill by trading in experience vs hitting up the draft this year?

Cheers cobber.

Appreciate that predicting list changes at this stage of the year are seldom more reliable than astrological charts, but do you have any thoughts about which roles North should fill by trading in experience vs hitting up the draft this year?

I think we desperately need a mature half back distributor. Someone with more composure and skill than McDonald & Hall ect. The game is based
so much on turnovers and we don’t really have anyone who can attack off half back and take the game on. Personally, I’m really keen on Lachie Ash, who has plenty of upside and has age on his side

I’d go to the draft for key position options, small forwards and a hard running winger.

If we delist a fair few I’d like us to go to the state league for our depth rather than taking speculative picks in what seems like a relatively shallow draft.

He was a little bit under done coming into the game after a month off, but I still would’ve expected a bit more. He didn’t really have much of an impact after the first quarter. I still have him is ranked number 1 but I haven’t seen enough this year to suggest he will be a generational talent on the same level as Daicos, JHF, Ashcroft, Wardlaw or Sheezel.

The more I watch of this years draft pool the more I think it’s pretty light on, can’t remember a draft where there was only two proven gun midfielders (McKercher & Sanders) inside the top 10.
If he was underdone then thats worth consideration and I'll keep an eye out for future games.

I haven't seen enough of the others, or him, to know if he's my number 1 pick. But based on what I've seen, if he is the clear number 1 then its a very weak draft at the top.

He does some unique things that alot of mids don't, like fend offs and he is a problem if you're wrestling him one on one in a marking contest (although Curtis is better at both 😀) They are exciting things to watch. If he did those things but was also like Daicos or Ashcroft around the ground then I would get the hype and the Dusty comparisons. But I haven't seen that class or accumulation ability, yet.

If he was underdone then thats worth consideration and I'll keep an eye out for future games.

I haven't seen enough of the others, or him, to know if he's my number 1 pick. But based on what I've seen, if he is the clear number 1 then its a very weak draft at the top.

He does some unique things that alot of mids don't, like fend offs and he is a problem if you're wrestling him one on one in a marking contest (although Curtis is better at both 😀) They are exciting things to watch. If he did those things but was also like Daicos or Ashcroft around the ground then I would get the hype and the Dusty comparisons. But I haven't seen that class or accumulation ability, yet.

He is very much an impact player, think clutch goal, big contested mark or a desperately needed clearance if you are losing momentum.

If you get the chance have a look at last years Vic Metro Vs Vic Country game. He was playing across half back, having a good game and then he got swung forward in the last quarter and nearly won the game off his own boot with a few examples of impressive contested marking. His 2nd game for Carlton in the VFL he was really solid too.

My biggest concern is that will his power translate to AFL level? Does he have the crazy lower body strength of Cunners or Dusty that will allow him to fend off and break tackles the way he does in juniors. Additionally, does he have that much upside considering he isn’t the quickest or the best runner in this years draft class.

Don’t get me wrong he is a bloody good footballer and his footy IQ is through the roof, but I just don’t rate him as high as the top 1-2 draft prospects from the last few drafts.

He is very much an impact player, think clutch goal, big contested mark or a desperately needed clearance if you are losing momentum.

If you get the chance have a look at last years Vic Metro Vs Vic Country game. He was playing across half back, having a good game and then he got swung forward in the last quarter and nearly won the game off his own boot with a few examples of impressive contested marking. His 2nd game for Carlton in the VFL he was really solid too.

My biggest concern is that will his power translate to AFL level? Does he have the crazy lower body strength of Cunners or Dusty that will allow him to fend off and break tackles the way he does in juniors. Additionally, does he have that much upside considering he isn’t the quickest or the best runner in this years draft class.

Don’t get me wrong he is a bloody good footballer and his footy IQ is through the roof, but I just don’t rate him as high as the top 1-2 draft prospects from the last few drafts.
I saw the country/metro game and was impressed by the two contested marks and his overall play. He seems like a bit of an arrogant smart-arse type (in a good way) who will take on the big moment.

I sound like I'm criticising him as a footballer, but I'm really just criticising him against the media hype. He'll probably end up my number 1 pick and the team that drafts him will be happy. Probably a high floor, he's going to be at least good. I would need to see a lot more to buy into the media hype, though.

I’m not sure what it is, but I’m not sold on Reid being the best player of the draft. Sure I’d take him at one, but the discussion of 3 first rounders for him is over the top.

It’s pretty even and especially compromised with the 3 Gold Coast academy kids plus the tassie kids who I wouldn’t go near with an early pick.

While we are at it, can we please get an effective lockdown small back?

We have been pantsed by so many great small forwards over the years, it would just be nice for opposition smalls not to kick bags on us.

Angus Hastie is this year's Darcy Wilmot.

Hard as nails, very quick and agile, uses it well, very good in the air and good size (189cm) with scope for improvement due to still being on the skinnier side at 77kg. He's comfortably the best small/medium sized defender in this draft crop.

No one's talking about him but it's a matter of time, I haven't put together a proper rankings but he'd be in my top 15. If no one ends up talking about him, then there's a club out there who'll get an absolute steal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know bugger all about O'Sullivan aside from analysts' write-ups, he might be an incredible prospect.

But an 85kg KPD doesn't sound particularly plug-n-play to me?

And if McKay goes, surely we need an viable replacement who can contribute from round 1.

I wonder whether WC would bite at pick 10 for Barrass.
Yeah mate I know a lot of people are keen for us to approach WCE for Barrass but I reckon there's absolutely no chance.

He's a very settled WA boy, in the WCE leadership group and is a key pillar (with Oscar Allen) in their next rebuild.

Not sure if he would be keen to move over the other side of the country and leave his family/friends unless it's a godfather offer.

I would absolutely love him in our colours (just like I was keen to get Griff) so anything is possible.. even if its probably 1%..

All the talk last year was that this was going to be a 'super' draft. I haven't look super closely at the talent, but that sentiment seems to have died down a lot.

Interested for the close draft watchers to chime in on this.

All the talk last year was that this was going to be a 'super' draft. I haven't look super closely at the talent, but that sentiment seems to have died down a lot.

Interested for the close draft watchers to chime in on this.
Not enough top-end midfielders, Key forwards haven’t developed into significant prospects, heavy Academy & FS presence at the top. But there will be a lot of gems in the later rounds, specifically half back flankers. It is the draft to target those types.

Angus Hastie is this year's Darcy Wilmot.

Hard as nails, very quick and agile, uses it well, very good in the air and good size (189cm) with scope for improvement due to still being on the skinnier side at 77kg. He's comfortably the best small/medium sized defender in this draft crop.

No one's talking about him but it's a matter of time, I haven't put together a proper rankings but he'd be in my top 15. If no one ends up talking about him, then there's a club out there who'll get an absolute steal.

I took note of his game on the weekend after I seen you mention him on here a few times.

While he didn’t get a stack of the footy I mostly noticed his intent and closing speed. When he tackled, he tackled hard, when he went third man up he really tried to kill the contest. He impacted a few contests that I didn’t think he’d get to either, definitely seems to cover the ground quickly.

Agree

We are fine either way

Just need to do some combination of the above (KPP and small forward with our first 2 picks caddy/Watson and delean/Morris)

For hbf I’d trade a future second for an established hunter Clark or Lachie ash

Or draft Philactides
First Time. Long Time.
I think the gap will close very quickly on Reid once this 2023 draft class has a year in the top flight. At the moment he's the best, but only marginally. I really like Jed Walter but we have no chance of getting him. Next choice would be Caddy and Delean. I know there is a lot of talk about Watson but I don't like how he plays for free kicks. 2 of his 4 goals last game were free kicks that won't get paid at AFL level. He's a very good player and will go rnd 1 but I just don't like that trait. I would love to see Delean and Sheez causing havoc up fwd. Delean is clean with ground balls, can take a great mark and has some tricks as seen on Sunday. Also don't forget we have Hansen as well. This kid is primed for that small fwd or high HF role. Then off HB i think Philactides is our guy to release Sheez and pump the ball i50. We need a high HB that has his speed and takes the game on.

The wink thing led me on…..
l will be speaking to Ben in a few weeks would you like me to ask him whats happening?

Maybe he might say something or maybe not or just give the generic line of "things are progressing and my manager is handling things" ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back