Preview 2023 National Draft Preview Thread [currently: #2, #14 (PA), #19 (PP) #40, #52, #60]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our biggest issues has been ball use out of defense - it's the whole reason Sheezel was shifted back there to begin with and played a majority of the season there. I hope we move Sheezel forward next year, and in order to do that, we need better ball users out of defence. Roberts would give us a reliable ball user who can run and carry. I'm not necessarily saying we draft him, but I do think rebounding defenders are high on the list of needs.
I agree we need to get Sheez up fwd and get another decent ball user down back to replace him but what’s Roberts weapon? Is it really his kicking? It’s not speed or decision making. IMO he’s ranked a bit too high. I’m just not seeing how he improves us. As I’ve said previously look at Pies, GWS, they have speed we don’t, we are probably the slowest team in the comp so that’s what we should go after down back and up fwd. Roberts is not quick. He’s a nice player but better suited to a team that has an abundance of speed. Just my opinion.

Could you see Sanders being that guy in defense? He seems to have some similiar qualities to Harry Sheezel.
Although it is reported that he has almost exclusively been used by the allies/Tasmania in the guts with McKercher, I can’t help but think that:
Composure, smarts and skill = quality HB distributor.

The fact he averaged 35 possessions across the year means he knows where the ball is and where it’s going so that is another positive.

From what I’ve seen, Sanders seems like a Mitchell type: squat, smart, powerful, composed. Clarkson often used Mitchell across HB with Hodge to ensure he had his best disposers and quickest minds setting up play.

In short, totally worth a top 3 pick. Even better if we could somehow nab pick 4 and get him with that.

Last edited:
Still think the best option is Reid and Watson. 2 players that fill position holes and will provide X factor, as well as game winning moments (something this club hasn’t had in a long time). Draft KPP with later picks, do what you can to get these two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would prefer Reid and Watson over Curtin and Mckercher every day of the week
I've been in favour of Curtin & McKercher, but like a few others, I'm coming round to the view that Reid & Watson is the better option.

For some reason, if we get Reid, feel like Watson with him is the go. And if we get Curtin, prefer McKercher as the other player.

Anyway, will back the club on this one whichever way it goes.

I've been in favour of Curtin & McKercher, but like a few others, I'm coming round to the view that Reid & Watson is the better option.

For some reason, if we get Reid, feel like Watson with him is the go. And if we get Curtin, prefer McKercher as the other player.

Anyway, will back the club on this one whichever way it goes.
Feels like one pair is ‘run and carry’ and the other is ‘forward impact’

If Harley gets picked up his parents are moving to the west with him. So his not gonna be away from his family. It’s just more so his community and mates which is a big place in his heart.
If they're prepared to move it just shows how much he doesnt want to go. And yeah he did say his community and mates are big for him.

One of our biggest issues has been ball use out of defense - it's the whole reason Sheezel was shifted back there to begin with and played a majority of the season there. I hope we move Sheezel forward next year, and in order to do that, we need better ball users out of defence. Roberts would give us a reliable ball user who can run and carry. I'm not necessarily saying we draft him, but I do think rebounding defenders are high on the list of needs.

People are going to differ and disagree on my perspectives which is totally fine - there's obviously some subjectivity that comes into it. I think Sanders ends up the most consistent player from this draft crop and has a career similar to your Michael Voss, Nathan Buckley types. He's smart, composed and clean - there's no better traits for an AFL footballer. I like Curtin but I just can't see him playing as a traditional key position at the next level, and I worry a bit about his athleticism.
Curtin's athleticism will be the biggest part for mine. Id take him at 2 if that was high. As ive said previously the combine numbers will be very interesting although not always the best gauge.
From what ive seen id rather Sanders over McKercher, but people are raving about the later so maybe im wrong.

Still think the best option is Reid and Watson. 2 players that fill position holes and will provide X factor, as well as game winning moments (something this club hasn’t had in a long time). Draft KPP with later picks, do what you can to get these two.
Agree the utility of Reid is exactly what we need. Basically another Sheez/ Thomas type in positions they can play.

If they're prepared to move it just shows how much he doesnt want to go. And yeah he did say his community and mates are big for him.

His two sisters are are moving to QLD so it’ll just be them two at home. If they weren’t shifting up the QLD they would stay in VIC

Harley will be fine wherever he goes. He’d rather stay in vic but if he goes west he’ll be fine and will just do what he does best which is okay footy.

Filling in some of the gaps in my back catalogue.

Not Nate Caddy's strongest game. In spite of the lopsided scoreline, this game was relatively even in general play. Northern just struggled to convert its opportunities inside 50. Caddy dropped a few marks that he would normally grab, and struggled to find space with his leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back