Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Go home factor only rears up if someone doesn't settle in or doesn't get the opportunity to play. We generally don't lose players that are going well. There were issues with JHF, he wasn't getting on well with the coach/staff/players and the Hawthorn thing was the icing on the cake. There was a lot of s**t hitting the media, it was a negative environment.

I wouldn't expect the same environment to happen under Clakson/Viney.
I think if Kerch and Sheez + Wardlaw continue building their friendship, there's no way he'll leave. JHF came into the club at a turbulent and toxic time - something last years recruits, a big clean our & a consistent coach & leadership have all turned around.

Yeh but I’ll always back who has produced more now over projecting project types with earlier picks

Later picks I’d take the latter view

We don’t go well reaching for players (see Neilson, Will walker etc) take the proven talent early

Let’s hope wil Dawson bucks the trend
What reach? Twomey had him going in the first round to the Saints. He was linked to the pies in the 1st round too.
Twomey is a real "ITK", so if 2 or 3 clubs had him ranked end of first round, thats good enough for me.

I just don’t like how Thursfield called Dawson a ‘bit of a project’. campaigner. With our top round picks, we don’t need anymore ‘projects’
He's 17 and >200cm. Until he hits 100 kg+ he's a bit of a project to hold down a key back position. I'm betting he's a regular quicker than McKay was who was drafted in a similar spot in the draft. In fact he looks fairly well physically developed for his size and age, and still mobile.....I woudn't be surprised to see him do really well in the VFL and play a couple of games late in season 2024.

Have a look at the vision of what Goad does off the ball vs. Edwards. His ruck craft will only improve as will his skills, it’s his running capacity to cover the ground quickly that sets him apart. His not a plotter. He will take a bit of time, but his upside if we’re patient is very exciting.
Got Blicavs vibes

I actually forgot about Hastie. I’d definitely trade up for him even though we took Hardeman. You’d essentially be looking for those two to replace Hall & Young on the list.

I reckon a few clubs might even take pick 47 + F3 to allow us to jump up 8-10 places.

Here is who’s left from my rankings:

15: Mitch Edwards
16: Ollie Murphy
19: Arie Schoenmaker
20: Joel Friejah
21: Tew Jiath
23: Angus Hastie
24: Archer Reid
26: Clay Hall
27: Jack Delean
29: George Stevens
30: Archie Roberts
32: Logan Morris
34: Lual Luamon

Plus the likes of Luke Lloyd, Nath Philactides, Koen Sanchez and Riley Weatherill.

I’d be pretty bloody happy with any of the above,
Good list of players there

Those two positions are my preference for the last couple of spots on the list.

We lost Turner, Mahony and Spicer this season and haven't picked up any replacement.

Outside of Larkey, Comben and potentially CCJ / Nyuon / Dawson we are pretty thin in the tall forward department.
Lack of depth in whipping boy options surely a positive though?

Annoyed with the Dawson pick.

Also annoyed that we had no developing KPDs on the list when Logue went down and McKay left.

In 2019 Scott Thompson and Wright retired, we traded for Bonar, picked up Perez in the draft.
In 2020 we delisted Durdin and Daw and got Corr as a free agent.
In 2021 we lost Tarrant... and took Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer and rookied Polec

We kind of lost balance of our list at this point, we lost the core part of our back six, our depth either moved into the senior side (McKay, etc) or were delisted.

We brought in Logue last year but he has done his knee and we have nothing developing. This year was more of a correction period, got Kallan Dawson via the MSD, Pink from the SANFL as a delisted free agent, traded for Nyuon and have now taken Will Dawson, and allegedly Comben will be training with the defensive group.

Will Dawson has more versatility, he also played forward and in the ruck and by all accounts is more physical than a lot of the big kids.

I think Kallan Dawson did okay in the games he played, we waited too long to play him after Logue got hurt. Bonar was just injury prone, we had too many half-back flankers who couldn't pinch hit on KPP, even Corr looked shithouse when he was expected to take on a key forward who was the go-to target.

We still have an issue in the key forward department, but we could be looking at a more mobile forward line, similar to Richmond pre-Lynch when Riewoldt was more or less the only big target of note and they just had smalls/mediums who hit the scoreboard.

Larkey, Zurhaar, Duursma, Sheezel, Curtis and George will be a dangerous forward line if we stop bombing it into the forward 50 and just look to put it to the advantage of our players. Getting the midfield structure right is also important; Wardlaw, LDU, McKercher, Thomas, etc is a far more potent lineup than Simpkin, Greenwood, etc that has been the primary engine room in recent years.

Fair few decent options still left on the board.

Reid, ZZ, Murphy, Morris, Freijah, Hastie, Roberts, Mannagh.

Do we sit tight for the next 15 picks or so, or will we get aggressive?

Sit tight I say, as the only tool we have to get aggressive with is our F2, and I don’t see any of those players as worthy of a future second rounder, especially an early one

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have a look at the vision of what Goad does off the ball vs. Edwards. His ruck craft will only improve as will his skills, it’s his running capacity to cover the ground quickly that sets him apart. His not a plotter. He will take a bit of time, but his upside if we’re patient is very exciting.
I'm happy enough with the Goad selection. It's going to be interesting to see how he develops and, to be fair, it's not as though he has a peak Goldy to compete with for a spot in a couple of years. Also, it's good to know that he's unlikely to be involved in any upcoming coup attempts ... all that plotting could have been a distraction.

For the draft watchers:

Hardeman vs De Martha- looked very similar based on my 30 second predraft watch. Was there any argument to take the local boy instead?

Goad vs Edwards- to my eyes Goad is much more mobile, Luke Jackson was a comparison someone made. Is this true over a much bigger sampling?

Fwiw I was never enamored with Leake so missing out was A-ok for mine.
Like 99.9% of BF posters, I am not an actual draft expert, but if I had to guess...

Hardeman was rated top 10 at some points this year, while De Mattia has consistently hovered around the 15-25 range.

De Mattia is more of a versatile midfielder capable of playing other positions, while Hardeman is more of a genuine rebounding intercepting defender than can play wing if need be. Hardeman is probably a neater kick and better at defensively locking down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Crows offer allowed them to get Leake. Ours couldn't.

With ours they’d keep their original pick 17 and would add our pick 16. But would likely get a much better pick next year.

They could still grab Leake and Gothard with those picks IMO

I'm very happy with our haul and approach to this year's draft. We used all 5 first round picks and didn't burn our F1. We've taken best available with #2 and #3 and addressed list needs with the other three. After we were unsuccessful in trading for #1, I doubt that we seriously entertained trading up for other picks unless an unexpected huge opportunity presented itself during the draft for a sliding player we rated very highly.

I've got the feeling that we got either our first or next best realistic choice with our final three picks. Plenty thought we would have happily taken Wilson with our third pick if he had been available, but I have my doubts after we had already taken McKercher.

Dawson is an interesting one. He qualified for the draft by 11 days and has grown 20cm in the last 18 months. He is already 200cm and presumably still growing. Where will he finish?

I'm happy with Goad, although I had a slight preference for Edwards. The one I didn't want was Green

I know most people think of Duursma as a half forward, but with his high marking ability I could see him develop into a versatile CHF. You don't need to be a behemoth to be effective there.

We're still missing a small forward, so I'm hoping for Mannagh. A few other clubs are also reportedly sniffing around for him, so we may need to move up a bit to be able to nab him if we have an interest in him. Perhaps our #57 (48) combined with a F3 can see us move up in front of Freo in the late 30s. Someone also mentioned Sanchez as an option, but I don't know anything about him.

How many times have we heard "we are after good characters" over the past 18 months? Why are people so surprised we passed on some talented players that have serious questions off field.

The last thing our club needs right now is a shit locker room or off field controversies. "One club" "full buy in" and "continuity" is what we need to improve.

It's not like they were snatched up straight after our picks.

Sit tight I say, as the only tool we have to get aggressive with is our F2, and I don’t see any of those players as worthy of a future second rounder, especially an early one

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our 2nd next year is every chance to be in the high 20's early 30's, if we still like someone trade up I say.

Yeh but I’ll always back who has produced more now over projecting project types with earlier picks

Later picks I’d take the latter view

We don’t go well reaching for players (see Neilson, Will walker etc) take the proven talent early

Let’s hope wil Dawson bucks the trend
Neilson, Will walker etc are the old recruiting staff. We have had multiple heads of footy and list managers since Neilson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back