Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I think the better comparison for Curtin is Alex Rance.

Sicily - 188cm, 90kg
Rance - 194cm, 94kg
Curtin - 195cm, 93kg

Similar play styles too. Will be extremely proficient as that roaming intercept mark defender.
Forgot about Rance, l think Curtin at this age, has better foot skills.

Livewire small forward Nick Watson will miss testing with an ankle injury he had at the end of his season in the Coates Talent League Grand Final for the Eastern Ranges, while the likely No.1 pick Harley Reid will also sit out testing with a knee issue that he had from the last few weeks of the Bendigo Pioneers' campaign.

West Australian talent Dan Curtin won't test after he suffered a hamstring injury in the WAFL colts Grand Final, while a hamstring injury will also rule out Tasmanian James Leake.

Aside from the 2km time trial on Friday afternoon, the prospects will spend the first two days of the Combine locked in scheduled meetings with clubs and medical testing. – Callum Twomey

Livewire small forward Nick Watson will miss testing with an ankle injury he had at the end of his season in the Coates Talent League Grand Final for the Eastern Ranges, while the likely No.1 pick Harley Reid will also sit out testing with a knee issue that he had from the last few weeks of the Bendigo Pioneers' campaign.

West Australian talent Dan Curtin won't test after he suffered a hamstring injury in the WAFL colts Grand Final, while a hamstring injury will also rule out Tasmanian James Leake.

Aside from the 2km time trial on Friday afternoon, the prospects will spend the first two days of the Combine locked in scheduled meetings with clubs and medical testing. – Callum Twomey

Lol, it's amazing the amount of injuries suddenly appear straight after finals (finals that these guys played in)...

I can understand that. Again, I personally disagree. But your position isn't unreasonable.

I think the closer we get to the draft, the more uniformly you'll see Curtin ranked in the top3-5 prospects by the draft pundits. At the moment it seems to be only Twomey who has Curtin a little bit lower than that in his September ranking (I believe he had him 6th in his most recent one).

As a reminder though, last year in his September ranking, Twomey also had the following;
  • Tsatsas above Sheezel
  • Cadman at 5th (went 1st)
  • Jefferson top 10 (went 15th)
  • Davey at 15th (went at pick 45)
  • etc etc
Just highlighting that it's early and I wouldn't put a hugeeee amount of faith in Twomey's rankings at this point of the process. Use them as a guide, not a bible. :)
Cadman only went at one because of the complicated deal that happened. i don't think he was rated one by anyone if the draft was open and every kid had to go where they were picked for 5 years.

If we can get GC pick 4 this is basically the Watson pick, it will push out to pick 6 at a minimum anyway. Didn't Adelaide take Josh Rachelle with 6? We would be able to get it without giving up pick 2 or 3 as well. You would think Hawks will take Duursma or Sanders at 4.
If we get GC pick - I’d take mckercher at 2
Watson at 3
Curtin at GC pick

Doubt very much dawks would take another tall that high after the DGB debacle

AKA "top prospects have literally nothing to gain from participating in the combine".

I just don't want us to do anything stupid with our picks. We shouldn't be "helping" any other club. If Reid goes anywhere other than WC or North, I'd be extremely surprised and disappointed.

We don't need Oliver; he'd be closer to 30 before we consider ourselves competing. And it would cost 1 or 2 of the below kids. We should only be looking to improve our priority picks to GC.

Any of the following cominations are a win:
Reid / Watson
Reid / McKercher
Curtin / Mckercher / Watson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1823008
What’s everyone’s thoughts on this (personally think it’s overs).
Not sure what the fascination is with gifting WC two top three picks when we're the only one's that have them.

It's reminiscent of that silly trade a few years ago when we handed a top 10 pick to Melbourne which resulted in them getting Pickett and we were the ones death ridden.

I think that if the 20 & 41 are replaced by WCs 21 and 40 then we might have something.
Yeeeah, I'm not sure we would have something.

Why would GC take that instead of the Dogs' offer?

I think we'd be better off keeping 2 and 3 and paying overs for the GC pick ourselves than doing that.

Yeeeah, I'm not sure we would have something.

Why would GC take that instead of the Dogs' offer?

I think we'd be better off keeping 2 and 3 and paying overs for the GC pick ourselves than doing that.

GC will bank some decent points in the trades for Mabior Chol and Elijah Hollands so it's just about at the point where they already have more than enough points to match bids on the 3x academy kids. They won't need to necessarily exchange their pick 4 for a surplus of points and can instead be quite strategic and potentially look to trade into round 1 in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2023 National Draft Review Thread II [McKercher, Z.Duursma, Goad, W.Dawson, Hardeman, Maley]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back