Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

You could argue that Goad has had the worst first year of any first or second round pick ever. You could throw a dart into a local A grade local club and find a player who would have performed better.

Does that mean he'll never make it? No. It does not.

But if he makes it in his 5th year, I'll still argue we were the last club that should have taken this risk. We need to nail close to everything to be even competitive consistently.
You get it. Sadly a plethora of bozos who post on this forum don’t. :stern look

I see that Riley Thilthorpe is only just starting to get a regular game for the Crows, and he was drafted in 2020, Sam Darcy in 2021, it seems that big men take time is kind of true,

Thilthorpe debuted in round 6 of the 2021 AFL season, as he was impressive with 16 disposals and kicked 5 goals.
Thilthorpe was rewarded with the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination for Round 13.
Filthy had a knee injury pre season 2024. Just playing again last few weeks after 3 months recovery.

I think our list is ok, and improving, and we’re about 6 positions on the ladder short of where we should be at this point in our development because of one thing only: psychology. The boys lack confidence and don’t really know how to win.

And if any of them read BigFooty, it’s not hard to see why.

I went down to watch the Casey game a few weeks back.

Goad had started playing KPD by then and wasn't doing much, looked pretty lost trying to track his man on the lead.

But there was one play that caught my attention... a defensive, sweeping run of about 70m from near the wing to the goal square, trying to cover a fast break Casey goal.

He was jogging at first, then decided to go flat knacker. heck me. I'd read about his speed but I've just never seen anything like it in person. He didn't stop the score so his run probably went unnoticed on the telecast, but watching a man that tall running that fast live just looked wrong.

If we ever see him in the 1s on an open run vs any ruck in the game, fans are gonna be stunned by his wheels.

Adelaide 36ers may be interested?

Once again, many posters missing the point here suggesting other NM posters don't want Goad to succeed. Absolute bollocks.
Most of us here are just voicing our concern that the people in charge of resurrecting this club, felt it was wise to use pick 20 on an interstate project player who will take 5 years minimum to play a senior game.
Sure, go after a project player, but use pick 57, not pick 20!!!! Please.

Am I right in saying IF Goad ends up a bust (not that I want that to happen), we basically got Wardlaw for JHF? And if that ends up being the case, as much as I love Wardlaw, that's not the greatest result for a club that held the upper hand in that deal. In my opinion anyway. I may be wrong.
Maybe 5 years is the correct time frame for the club looking forward for future plans, by then Xerri is 30/31 and a successor would be due?

Thanks for confirming my case.

Xerri a very late pick.

I reiterate that you don't waste a first round pick on a project ruckman that has no football IQ. Can't mark. Shows no mongrel and is as coordinated as the Fijian gymnastics team.

We have been shite for so long because of our very poor list management team.

Will Walker should have been the last project player we ever picked.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk
What is this shit. The Fijian gymnastics team are more coordinated than you and would punch your pimply face in to boot.

Would there be anywhere to find X's VFL stats from his first year?
Even then he came in far more ready than Goad has.

In the old days he'd still be playing in the under 19's, which is probably where he should be. Not sure if it would've been worth asking, if he could have played some Coates League footy this year.
Hopefully after another pre-season he'll look more ready to play against men.

I went down to watch the Casey game a few weeks back.

Goad had started playing KPD by then and wasn't doing much, looked pretty lost trying to track his man on the lead.

But there was one play that caught my attention... a defensive, sweeping run of about 70m from near the wing to the goal square, trying to cover a fast break Casey goal.

He was jogging at first, then decided to go flat knacker. heck me. I'd read about his speed but I've just never seen anything like it in person. He didn't stop the score so his run probably went unnoticed on the telecast, but watching a man that tall running that fast live just looked wrong.

If we ever see him in the 1s on an open run vs any ruck in the game, fans are gonna be stunned by his wheels.
Sorry this feels too positive for this thread.

Something for people to consider: Goldy was picked up in 2006 at pick #37 and didnt get to play his first Afl game until Round 15 in 2008 nearly 1 1/2 years later. We need to have patience will Goad as well...

Just to put it into perspective as well. In his first season Goldy spent a big chunk of time in the VFL reserves…

You can sink years into a project ruckman and hope he comes good. Maybe it pays off big. Or you go get Lloyd Meek or Darcy Cameron or someone like that.
Pies had Grundy and have done infinitely better with Cameron.
Food for thought.
Ok cool, so you wouldn't have drafted Luke Jackson then? Good to know.

You can sink years into a project ruckman and hope he comes good. Maybe it pays off big. Or you go get Lloyd Meek or Darcy Cameron or someone like that.
Pies had Grundy and have done infinitely better with Cameron.
Food for thought.
Sure, it's a reasonable argument, but for completeness, Grundy is now at Sydney and on top of the ladder, and while they were recruiting him, they took a project ruck with their first pick (#16) in the 2023 draft, Will Green.

Goad may or may not make it, but it's a bit early to tell. In a couple of years time we might be saying he's a steal at 20

looks to be filling out a bit.....that should be the main priority for the kid....small incremental gains all that matters, reminds me a lot of Tim English. Took 3 years to be an AFL regular, and even then averaged 13 touches 4 marks and 19 hitouts a game. X in my mind with his impact as a big body mid is doing things other rucks just don't do, AA for mine. For Goad, we just be patient, let him fill out and develop his craft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely up for critical analysis of the list but this kid was always 3+ years away from meaningful senior input in all but the most extreme scenarios.

If he fails, the risk was all about potential upside. 207cm, moves well, looks like he can deal with contact and skills seem good enough to build on. You're not routinely getting an 18yo with that profile in the rookie draft so have to pay up to stop other clubs punting on them.

Definitely up for critical analysis of the list but this kid was always 3+ years away from meaningful senior input in all but the most extreme scenarios.

If he fails, the risk was all about potential upside. 207cm, moves well, looks like he can deal with contact and skills seem good enough to build on. You're not routinely getting an 18yo with that profile in the rookie draft so have to pay up to stop other clubs punting on them.
It's logic like this that completely undermines the very essence of North Big Footy, I'm disappointed in you KC.

Adelaide 36ers may be interested?

Once again, many posters missing the point here suggesting other NM posters don't want Goad to succeed. Absolute bollocks.
Most of us here are just voicing our concern that the people in charge of resurrecting this club, felt it was wise to use pick 20 on an interstate project player who will take 5 years minimum to play a senior game.
Sure, go after a project player, but use pick 57, not pick 20!!!! Please.

Am I right in saying IF Goad ends up a bust (not that I want that to happen), we basically got Wardlaw for JHF? And if that ends up being the case, as much as I love Wardlaw, that's not the greatest result for a club that held the upper hand in that deal. In my opinion anyway. I may be wrong.
We might have held the upper hand, but it was being held in a hammerlock submission.

also if you have 5 first rounders you might as well take a punt with one of them. And it's not like any of the players taken after him have made us look stupid, should we have taken Lance "What, it means bundle of sticks" Collard?

also if you have 5 first rounders you might as well take a punt with one of them. And it's not like any of the players taken after him have made us look stupid, should we have taken Lance "What, it means bundle of sticks" Collard?
The only one is Logan Morris from what I've seen. But he's only 191cm so I'm not sure he's a big key forward and we were taking Zane. Archer Reid perhaps as a 200cm kpf or ruck Mitch Edwards the only other one's I can think of.
But they're clearly not ready for AFL footy either as I don't think I've seen them debut.

Thilthorpe debuted in round 6 of the 2021 AFL season, as he was impressive with 16 disposals and kicked 5 goals.
Thilthorpe was rewarded with the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination for Round 13.
Filthy had a knee injury pre season 2024. Just playing again last few weeks after 3 months recovery.

Thilthorpe is also an absolute beast size wise now. He looks as massive as Charlie Dixon and Tom Hawkins. Not that we expect or want Goad to bulk up quite that much as a 207 cm ruck but he certainly needs to add muscle and strength over the next couple of years.

Thilthorpe is also an absolute beast size wise now. He looks as massive as Charlie Dixon and Tom Hawkins. Not that we expect or want Goad to bulk up quite that much as a 207 cm ruck but he certainly needs to add muscle and strength over the next couple of years.
Filthy spent a lot of the three month layoff lifting weights.

Goad looks bigboned already. An off season in the gym should get him ready for playing seniors.
Most of the Glong vfl players on the weekend looked bigger than our guys especially Bergman and Hardeman
Be

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back