Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Lowest per game possession stats of any player with over 10 games in VFL this year .

I’m not too worried. None of the ruckman taken in the top 40 last year have really fired a shot at VFL yet. Goad was the most raw of the lot, but with his athletic background he arguably had the most upside. The lack of marking is a concern, but not surprising when he is stuck in a back pocket.

Comparison from the same draft:

Taylor Goad: 4.4 disposals, 0.3 marks, 5.1 hitouts.

William Green: 8.9 disposals, 2.9 marks, 9 hitouts.

Mitch Edwards: 7.7 disposals, 1.7 marks, 8.7 hitouts

Just seems rediculous hiding him away in he back pocket especially with free out with concussion. Even if he plays 50 50 ruck split with maley he should be playing the role we got him for.
So we get a string bean fullback - you want him playing on 105kg full forward

I’m not too worried. None of the ruckman taken in the top 40 last year have really fired a shot at VFL yet. Goad was the most raw of the lot, but with his athletic background he arguably had the most upside. The lack of marking is a concern, but not surprising when he is stuck in a back pocket.

There isn't a ruckman in a state league team who couldn't exceed that output.
What has struck me is that the traits he apparently has, speed and athleticism, have not been seen at all?
Surely you'd think we'd see him run fast or jump in the air at some point?
It's all a bit bizarre and has echoes of Edwards. Whose ability was cancelled out by a lack of interest.

1 mark every 3 games. I'm not concerned. How is he from the 3 point line?

Hmmm but has he had one of the below, that's important if he has. As single event buys you 2 years of excuses on BF, have all five and bam you'll get to see life membership in ten shorts years, ( if you live that long cause in fairness you'd have been pretty crook) and have a thread with over 30,000 posts.

1. Plague
2. Yellow Fever
3. Cholera
4. Malaria
5. Diphtheria

Goad has been brought in as a project player with no expectations on him yet. The club isnt even looking at him playing as a permantant ruck for at least another 2 years with next year also playing mostly on the backline.. l'm hearing that he is still very raw and will take a lot of time before they look at him as a viable ruck option.

Goad has been brought in as a project player with no expectations on him yet. The club isnt even looking at him playing as a permantant ruck for at least another 2 years with next year also playing mostly on the backline.. l'm hearing that he is still very raw and will take a lot of time before they look at him as a viable ruck option.

Of course and it's a strange call to use pick 20 on an interstate kid knowing full well he's a project type. He will be OOC at the end of 2026. And most think he will not have played a senior game by that stage.

Has just turned 19 and shouldn't judged on what he achieves on the field against men. But he will also earn five fifths of **** all between now and 2026.

Adelaide will offer him the world to bring him home, he'll be 22 and life will be easier amongst family and friends.

Won't play a game for North.

Of course and it's a strange call to use pick 20 on an interstate kid knowing full well he's a project type. He will be OOC at the end of 2026. And most think he will not have played a senior game by that stage.

Has just turned 19 and shouldn't judged on what he achieves on the field against men. But he will also earn five fifths of **** all between now and 2026.

Adelaide will offer him the world to bring him home, he'll be 22 and life will be easier amongst family and friends.

If he's showing promise towards the middle or end of 2025 then offer him another 2 more years and lock him in until the end of 2028. He wont be earning much at the moment anyway...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very slowly, which I'm sure is music to the ears of a miserable campaigner like you.
to be fair, the congregation of miserable campaigners (CMC) here definitely encourage each other

I'm not sure they will offer the world if he hasn't played a game in that time. Heaps of time for him. I also think you draft who you want regardless of where they come from back your system.

My only concern is that a club that has been absolute shite for the better part of 6 years can't afford to be burning first round picks on project players.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

I see all the posters who said Tristan Xerri wasn’t any good and didn’t have what it takes to be a number one ruck are now turning their attention to Taylor Goad. Keep up the good work.

My only concern is that a club that has been absolute shite for the better part of 6 years can't afford to be burning first round picks on project players.
I see all the posters who said Tristan Xerri wasn’t any good and didn’t have what it takes to be a number one ruck are now turning their attention to Taylor Goad. Keep up the good work.
Nice reply.

Well, I always thought Xerri showed plenty in VFL.
I'm not sure this is the case, yet, with Goad.

Yes and with pick #73 North call Tristan Xerri, them big boys are always available late and the five years needed to get them going is why they don't go top 20.

Well, I always thought Xerri showed plenty in VFL.
I'm not sure this is the case, yet, with Goad.
No it’s certainly not the case with Goad yet but that’s the point he’s got time on his side, let’s see where he’s at this time next year.

I'd trade him end of season, while he retains his value.
Adelaide 36ers may be interested?

Once again, many posters missing the point here suggesting other NM posters don't want Goad to succeed. Absolute bollocks.
Most of us here are just voicing our concern that the people in charge of resurrecting this club, felt it was wise to use pick 20 on an interstate project player who will take 5 years minimum to play a senior game.
Sure, go after a project player, but use pick 57, not pick 20!!!! Please.

Am I right in saying IF Goad ends up a bust (not that I want that to happen), we basically got Wardlaw for JHF? And if that ends up being the case, as much as I love Wardlaw, that's not the greatest result for a club that held the upper hand in that deal. In my opinion anyway. I may be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back