Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I see all the posters who said Tristan Xerri wasn’t any good and didn’t have what it takes to be a number one ruck are now turning their attention to Taylor Goad. Keep up the good work.
Name those posters. Bump those posts. :stern look

Adelaide 36ers may be interested?

Once again, many posters missing the point here suggesting other NM posters don't want Goad to succeed. Absolute bollocks.
Most of us here are just voicing our concern that the people in charge of resurrecting this club, felt it was wise to use pick 20 on an interstate project player who will take 5 years minimum to play a senior game.
Sure, go after a project player, but use pick 57, not pick 20!!!! Please.

Am I right in saying IF Goad ends up a bust (not that I want that to happen), we basically got Wardlaw for JHF? And if that ends up being the case, as much as I love Wardlaw, that's not the greatest result for a club that held the upper hand in that deal. In my opinion anyway. I may be wrong.
Then the reverse can occur and he becomes a gun and then a bargin at pick 20 Way to early to question the pick.

Yes and with pick #73 North call Tristan Xerri, them big boys are always available late and the five years needed to get them going is why they don't go top 20.
My mistake I completely forgot about the rule that you can’t select a project ruckman before pick 50. Perhaps old mate could pass this on to Brady and Will seems they’ve forgotten about it too.

Of course and it's a strange call to use pick 20 on an interstate kid knowing full well he's a project type. He will be OOC at the end of 2026. And most think he will not have played a senior game by that stage.

Has just turned 19 and shouldn't judged on what he achieves on the field against men. But he will also earn five fifths of **** all between now and 2026.

Adelaide will offer him the world to bring him home, he'll be 22 and life will be easier amongst family and friends.

Won't play a game for North.
Rucks don't usually get many games for quite a while at any club. Is he having trouble in 'life'? Seems to be getting along really well with the boys, but perhaps you have some inside info?

I don't see why Adelaide will value him any more than we would.

I see all the posters who said Tristan Xerri wasn’t any good and didn’t have what it takes to be a number one ruck are now turning their attention to Taylor Goad. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for confirming my case.

Xerri a very late pick.

I reiterate that you don't waste a first round pick on a project ruckman that has no football IQ. Can't mark. Shows no mongrel and is as coordinated as the Fijian gymnastics team.

We have been shite for so long because of our very poor list management team.

Will Walker should have been the last project player we ever picked.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Xerri a very late pick.

I reiterate that you don't waste a first round pick on a project ruckman that has no football IQ. Can't mark. Shows no mongrel and is as coordinated as the Fijian gymnastics team.

Just turned 19. When you spot a kid with his traits and you have 5 first rounders then it's worth the punt. Give him time before you judge

Xerri a very late pick.

So what project ruck should we have picked up in the draft with your late pick Can you name him for us please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The usuals going the early crow

Tired Zzz GIF

You can sink years into a project ruckman and hope he comes good. Maybe it pays off big. Or you go get Lloyd Meek or Darcy Cameron or someone like that.
Pies had Grundy and have done infinitely better with Cameron.
Food for thought.

Something for people to consider: Goldy was picked up in 2006 at pick #37 and didnt get to play his first Afl game until Round 15 in 2008 nearly 1 1/2 years later. We need to have patience will Goad as well...

You can sink years into a project ruckman and hope he comes good. Maybe it pays off big. Or you go get Lloyd Meek or Darcy Cameron or someone like that.
Pies had Grundy and have done infinitely better with Cameron.
Food for thought.
Just about every ruckman picked in the draft is a 'project' initially, taking 2-3 years to fill out and play seniors. Goldy, Big X, Gawn, Sandi etc... all were bang average when first coming onto lists. Goad is an athletic freak and worth the punt while we have capable ruckmen on the list.

You could argue that Goad has had the worst first year of any first or second round pick ever. You could throw a dart into a local A grade local club and find a player who would have performed better.

Does that mean he'll never make it? No. It does not.

But if he makes it in his 5th year, I'll still argue we were the last club that should have taken this risk. We need to nail close to everything to be even competitive consistently.

Just turned 19. When you spot a kid with his traits and you have 5 first rounders then it's worth the punt. Give him time before you judge
You can judge now if you want. That’s the beauty about this forum. We can make calls and look like a genius or a fool. Usually the fools leave BigFooty or change their usernames. :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22: Taylor Goad - #20 in '23 ND - the Unicorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back