Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

* the positive vibe didn’t last very long into the preseason. Injuries and now this.

It's so the life of a Saints supporter in one off season. Build us up on a roughly built wooden tower and then kick the platform out from under us. Oh well, the disappointment was always coming, at least we take the hit and move on before footy season starts.

Mowman tipped us off so kind of expected it but it's a real shame. He would have been a great person to drive the club. Lyon can run his own show without a mentor but the guidance he would have given to the footy department and the knowledge he would have passed on would have been incredible.
He is a big loss IMO gringo

Pure speculation, but can’t help but think Walsh leaving is linked to recent appointments (particularly SOS). If Ross, Lethers and Bassat went over his head to appoint old mates he’d be entitled to leave a major role on short notice after a few months.

Obviously wishing him and his family well, and I hope there is not a massive scandal behind this, but something smells like…St Kilda.

the big **** off risk we had in appointing someone like Lyon is you need someone strong to manage him. Walsh on paper was ideal.

we've got a serious problem now.

gubby allen + sos. misson.

this does not bode well for having some robust debate/checks and balances, which can be fine is Lyon is top of his game, but i suspect he was top of his game in 2009/2010 and has had a steady slide back to reality since then.

It does feel that way at times LOL

90% is self inflicted shit. Like a guy who spends all his money on the pokies, we have a whinge about a lack of luck but you can usually trace it back to a poor decision in the past. That's why I like Lyon, he doesn't make excuses, he just makes sure we do all the right shit to take care of the stuff that we can control. It's a kick but we just have to move on and make good choices with his replacement.

the big * off risk we had in appointing someone like Lyon is you need someone strong to manage him. Walsh on paper was ideal.

this does not bode well for having some robust debate/checks and balances.

The Lyon has been uncaged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

90% is self inflicted s**t. Like a guy who spends all his money on the pokies, we have a whinge about a lack of luck but you can usually trace it back to a poor decision in the past. That's why I like Lyon, he doesn't make excuses, he just makes sure we do all the right s**t to take care of the stuff that we can control. It's a kick but we just have to move on and make good choices with his replacement.

Agree, its very early doors on 2023.

Make a quick decision on his replacement and move on ASAP. It's just a job not a life sentence, he felt he didn't want the role for whatever reason ( FYI we don't need to know the reasons )

No need for panic stations just yet.

We aren't cursed, don't believe in that stuff at all. That's for the weak minded looking for excuses.

At his age I don't think Geoff Walsh would have been a long term appointment anyway, he probably would've only stayed on for a year or two at most.

We might be better off getting someone younger that's going to be with us long term but finding a quality candidate at this time of year won't be easy.

the big * off risk we had in appointing someone like Lyon is you need someone strong to manage him. Walsh on paper was ideal.

this does not bode well for having some robust debate/checks and balances, which can be fine is Lyon is top of his game, but i suspect he was top of his game in 2009/2010 and has had a steady slide back to reality since then.
Saying personal and family reasons is why he is leaving

its either gonna turn this club around on-field in spectacular fashion or come crashing down in a huge way. probably to the point the AFL will really need to step in.

Yeah, that's how I see it. It could be incredible or an absolute train wreck. The optimistic part of me is smashing down all the alarm bells and just focussing on the positives.

Agree, its very early doors on 2023.

Make a quick decision on his replacement and move on ASAP. It's just a job not a life sentence, he felt he didn't want the role for whatever reason ( FYI we don't need to know the reasons )

No need for panic stations just yet.

We aren't cursed, don't believe in that stuff at all. That's for the weak minded looking for excuses.

Can't miss what you never had I guess.

Who would be best available?
Who has enough legitimacy to sit above Ross?
We need someone to work with Ross, but most importantly ensure Lethers has ZERO input in football.
Please, tell me it might be okay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back