Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross, Steele & Crouch we’re a constant under Ratts..drove me nuts his lack of vision!!
Im with Mike, the more players we can get to contribute through the midfield the better we will become.

Ross, Steele & Crouch will have to learn to rotate through other positions. Particularly when players like Windhager, Owens, Phillipou and Hotton learn to start to matching opposition mids. Our biggest strength should be our flexibility and the number of players taking the load through midfield minutes.

We had injuries last year, but Ratten was extremely short sighted and wrong in asking the same 4 players to do all the midfield minutes in games. You could just tell when Steele or Ross were spent the opposition would dominate quarters or long periods, without any changes from us.

Im hoping RTB is a much smarter operator than his predecessors.

Certainly on a footy forum yep when discussing something you want a certain answer.

Confused Little Girl GIF

There is 3 players I'm struggling to find a spot for, Billings, Cordy and Paton.

Who does Cordy push out, Battle?
I reckon Webster keeps Paton out.
The half forward line is jam packed for options and this could be the year Billings finds it hard to keep his spot...which is a great thing.
I can help you with this one.
Billings plays at Sandringham
Pato will probably keep Webster out but we'll see if RTB changes their roles.
Cordy probably also at Sandy.

Im with Mike, the more players we can get to contribute through the midfield the better we will become.

Ross, Steele & Crouch will have to learn to rotate through other positions. Particularly when players like Windhager, Owens, Phillipou and Hotton learn to start to matching opposition mids. Our biggest strength should be our flexibility and the number of players taking the load through midfield minutes.

We had injuries last year, but Ratten was extremely short sighted and wrong in asking the same 4 players to do all the midfield minutes in games. You could just tell when Steele or Ross were spent the opposition would dominate quarters or long periods, without any changes from us.

If Jones is back to full fitness, then he adds difference (Burst speed) to our midfield. Bytel, Owens, Windhager rotating through there, with Crouch & Steele resting & keeping pressure on, in the forward line.
Stocker maybe that crunch & tackle player that we need in the backline, hopefully. We need more players to step up with the pressure around the ground, too.
I think we will see this under RTB, poor skills under pressure may be the issue again.

Last edited:
Webster will be first picked in the backline in a Lyon team. Has what Lyon loves in spades.
Maybe 5 years ago but Jimmy is visibly beginning to slow and before Pato broke his leg he was probably the best shutdown small in the league. He was getting back to that in the last few games of last year.
If I'm RTB with a 4 year contract I'll be investing in the 24yo and not the 30yo.

A midfield of:
Billings, Byrnes, Bytel, Clark, Heath & Ross, would be a dynamite midfield for Sandy round 1, - delivering it to, Caminiti, Keeler & Phillipou, who would all be in the 1sts, come round 2.

Last edited:
Maybe 5 years ago but Jimmy is visibly beginning to slow and before Pato broke his leg he was probably the best shutdown small in the league. He was getting back to that in the last few games of last year.
If I'm RTB with a 4 year contract I'll be investing in the 24yo and not the 30yo.

10 players over the age of 30 in last years premiership side, average age of 28.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Jones is back to full fitness, then he adds difference (Burst speed) to our midfield. Bytel, Owens, Windhager rotating through there, with Crouch & Steele resting & keeping pressure on, in the forward line.
Stocker maybe that crunch & tackle player that we need in the backline, hopefully. We need more players to step up with the pressure around the ground, too.
I think we will see this under RTB, poor skills under pressure may be the issue again.
Certainly looked one of our quickest through the mids in the match sims

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

You don’t win a premiership with a “good ordinary list”

I know what you are saying but they are a champion team over a team of champions IMO. Their midfield that they played for most of the home and away was a very no name list. They have heaps of talent but they aren't stacked with superstars these days.

Anyone know any details about this training camp?

Did someone say it was 4 days? - 96 hours would be more accurate as the players are not permitted sleep

The whole squad went? - no partners or family
What was the focus? (ie: leadership & bonding, stamina, mindfulness, etc) - re-education/complete mental rebuild
Where was it? - top secret culturally sensitive location
Who ran it? - collective minds
don't shoot the messenger

Just out of interest who didn’t play as mid who should have?

10 players over the age of 30 in last years premiership side, average age of 28.
I keep hearing people say things like this.
Just because one team had a lot of over 30s players and won a premiership, does not mean that over 30s players are the right way every time.
Webster would not make the top 15 of those 10 premiership players.

Just because one team had a lot of over 30s players and won a premiership, does not mean that over 30s players are the right way every time.
Possibly but that's the problem with a list lacking significant depth of talent, we would barely have 4 players who could have played in Geelongs flag. So different arguments really. Webster at the moment would easily be automatically picked in our best side, that's why we are rebuilding.

Just because one team had a lot of over 30s players and won a premiership, does not mean that over 30s players are the right way every time.I

People automatically assume that any random detail is a cause.
If we found out all the premiership players wore red underwear last year, they'd think our players should wear red underwear.

What is unusual is if a really really young team does well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back