Teams 2023 Rate My Preseason Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevo does seem to like McLean. Brought him back pretty quickly after both acls.
Sorry for the abrupt change of subject my friend, but I've struggling with the loss of Harry Sheezel from my SC squad today, and everytime I see your avatar I'm reminded of these lines from our board

Have you seen him have you heard
The way he plays there are no words
To describe Harry Sheezel

Humour me here for a second.

What could Grundy do that would change the dynamic of Dees' centre bounce contests that would decrease the impact of the most durable and consistent inside mid available (to us and to them) from continuing what he's doing?
Look, TBH, it's a bit of a Rumsfeldian unknown unknown, but I am always wary of spending big money when there are any hairs prickling at the back of my neck.
It might be nothing, but anyone expecting Grundy to be of benefit to the Melbourne CBA returns relies too much on stats and doesn't watch him play - he has lost his leap and his second effort energy as well.
OTOH, around the ground, he gets monstered by whichever beast is thrown against him. This is something I have witnessed now for several years and the coaching fraternity exploit it constantly.
If he is re-invigorated, re-motivated and ripe physically, he can of course return to his best and Oliver will probably even improve his return further.
He hurt an ankle ligament severely late last year, on the same leg he did the PCL on.
I am worried he will hinder Oliver's way on these, admittedly somewhat nebulous, grounds.
I'll spend 3 trades on Oli if needs be, so happy to watch it unfold.

Look, TBH, it's a bit of a Rumsfeldian unknown unknown, but I am always wary of spending big money when there are any hairs prickling at the back of my neck.
It might be nothing, but anyone expecting Grundy to be of benefit to the Melbourne CBA returns relies too much on stats and doesn't watch him play - he has lost his leap and his second effort energy as well.
OTOH, around the ground, he gets monstered by whichever beast is thrown against him. This is something I have witnessed now for several years and the coaching fraternity exploit it constantly.
If he is re-invigorated, re-motivated and ripe physically, he can of course return to his best and Oliver will probably even improve his return further.
He hurt an ankle ligament severely late last year, on the same leg he did the PCL on.
I am worried he will hinder Oliver's way on these, admittedly somewhat nebulous, grounds.
I'll spend 3 trades on Oli if needs be, so happy to watch it unfold.
Interesting. I hadn’t considered the impact on Oliver of potentially not having Gawn serve the ball on a plate for 80% of the game.
I still struggle to see the logic in Melbourne not playing the leagues best ruck (Gawn) in the ruck.

Interesting. I hadn’t considered the impact on Oliver of potentially not having Gawn serve the ball on a plate for 80% of the game.
I still struggle to see the logic in Melbourne not playing the leagues best ruck (Gawn) in the ruck.
It would not surprise me if Gawn takes the majority of CBA with the plan being that he then goes forward and Grundy does the around the ground stuff, with a bit of a chop out down back by May and up fwd by Gawn.
In theory, it works a treat. The query is that everything I have seen from Grundy since 2019 tells me he is on the wane and that his body is failing.
He has lost body mass, thus strength; he gets mauled in body/body ruck contests and his tackling has become insipid.
McCrae let him go.

I've thought about him, but is he really that superb of a captain option, when Rory just given us just one year of 120+ averages, and Clayton Oliver has been doing it for three?
I think in an ideal world you have an Oliver / Touk / Neale type as your VC and Laird as the 'guaranteed' 120 C backup. Having said that, he's still a great VC option. But yes, much of this assessment is based on his most recent season. I didn't start him last year and never managed to get him in. Was challenging coming up against teams with him at the back end of the season.

completely agree with this. its easier to leave out the 700k guys as their price can drop more rapidly. issue is with the 600k defenders. after the main 4 or 5.. theres really not much else to choose from.

nicky d.. young. redman? not picks that inspire me as top 8 super premos.

angus brayshaw maybe.. houston also maybe. HH to an extent potentially.

but you know at the end of the day. sinc and sic for example will drop to around 550k at worst id think. which isnt really a substantial enough of a savings to miss out on their solid scores.

in the midfield though. steele at 600k is a steal. he could be 650k and youd still consider him.. from about 550k down. youre still left with quite a few that can break that top 10-20 midfielders barrier. brodie ldu anderson baz green warner titch... all within a 20k price range.

my main problem is im tossing up between set and forget super premo guns and rookies.. or to look for value in that 500k midfield range and leave out the big hitters to bring in an extra premo or two.
At the end of the day, the decision is probably made by the quantity of rookies. If we have 7-8 quality mid rookies, then the money will be spent in the back and vice versa, so really hard to try and structure teams at this stage.
Early days the mid rookies look good and def rooks look bad, but I feel like that's the situation every year.
Terrific points.

One has to wonder how Dunkley will affect Neale aswell. Touk should only improve with GC winning more games
Touk would be first picked without that bye, feels like you have to be REALLY keen on Cats or GC players with the bye week that's not a bye

I think in an ideal world you have an Oliver / Touk / Neale type as your VC and Laird as the 'guaranteed' 120 C backup. Having said that, he's still a great VC option. But yes, much of this assessment is based on his most recent season. I didn't start him last year and never managed to get him in. Was challenging coming up against teams with him at the back end of the season.

Adelaide have a bottom 6 team fixture with a lot of Sunday games for a reliable C option as well, worth considering

At the end of the day, the decision is probably made by the quantity of rookies. If we have 7-8 quality mid rookies, then the money will be spent in the back and vice versa, so really hard to try and structure teams at this stage.
Early days the mid rookies look good and def rooks look bad, but I feel like that's the situation every year.

Touk would be first picked without that bye, feels like you have to be REALLY keen on Cats or GC players with the bye week that's not a bye
Hmmm, after learning of this bye it appears I’m back to the drawing board with my Witts/Blicavs ruck duo…

Both superb footballers, SC C options; how will the dynamic at Melbourne change with Grundy and what impact does that have on Oli? Laird appears so far to be almost untaggable, but after 18 months of killing it as a mid and no sign of slowing down, will he finally have some work put into him, or is he, like both Hawthorn Mitchells, considered to be of so little damage done that he runs loose week after week?
I will watch and see on both and take Cripps/Bont. instead; 150K extra which slides 2 other top players into my 30.
I've taken your reasoning to heart, so yeah maybe Bont and Macrae instead of Mitchell and Laird, kinda makes sense as Dunkly and Hunter have departed but then what about Sniff ?, instead of Macrae, 35k cheaper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've taken your reasoning to heart, so yeah maybe Bont and Macrae instead of Mitchell and Laird, kinda makes sense as Dunkly and Hunter have departed but then what about Sniff ?, instead of Macrae, 35k cheaper.
Careful brother; you finished about 1000 places higher than me. That didn't happen by letting verbose fools inside your head.
I am looking at JMac, I must admit.
Again, without Dunks, he probably gets back to the main gig more often than he did after about midway thru last year. I hated the way he got sent to the wing for such lengthy periods.
Is Smith top 12 material? Doubt it and that is my strict criterion for any possible mid keeper.

But if it doesn't work out in the preseason games, or maybe after a round or two of the H&A at the most, surely Goodwin just gives Gawn the main ruck job back?

Careful brother; you finished about 1000 places higher than me. That didn't happen by letting verbose fools inside your head.
I am looking at JMac, I must admit.
Again, without Dunks, he probably gets back to the main gig more often than he did after about midway thru last year. I hated the way he got sent to the wing for such lengthy periods.
Is Smith top 12 material? Doubt it and that is my strict criterion for any possible mid keeper.
Top 12 no idea, was poor on his return, but no one is perfect, tempted to have a punt on him trying to redeem himself

But if it doesn't work out in the preseason games, or maybe after a round or two of the H&A at the most, surely Goodwin just gives Gawn the main ruck job back?
He may well do so, I hope he does; then we get Gawn with a solid role at a bargain rate. Maybe we get Oli cheaper too. I am taking 5 x $557 + mids, so can swap him in for the biggest under performer.

If we already have Witts/Hodor too, it's simples...

He may well do so, I hope he does; then we get Gawn with a solid role at a bargain rate. Maybe we get Oli cheaper too. I am taking 5 x $557 + mids, so can swap him in for the biggest under performer.

If we already have Witts/Hodor too, it's simples...
Okay my man, you've convinced me for the moment.

1671538329308.png
But if Tarryn Thomas looks amazing in the practice games Witts turns back into Marshall to fund the acquisition.

Okay my man, you've convinced me for the moment.

View attachment 1576316
But if Tarryn Thomas looks amazing in the practice games Witts turns back into Marshall to fund the acquisition.
If TT comes up, I'll swap Hodor to Hickey and Allen to Thomas, so I am with you all the way.
Careful with Roma - no King, no Paddy, very few marking talls at all.
Campbell/Marshall 50/50, with Roma fwd the split time looks quite likely unless they jag a forward through the preseason - say a J Kennedy, for example.

1671538790999.png

Last edited:
If TT comes up, I'll swap Hodor to Hickey and Allen to Thomas, so I am with you all the way.

View attachment 1576325
I thought my 3 def premos and 1 very cheap def midpricer was tempting fate, but damn mate, that's quite a bit of exposure in your d4-d8 when it comes time to upgrade.

Careful with Roma - no King, no Paddy, very few marking talls at all.
Campbell/Marshall 50/50, with Roma fwd the split time looks quite likely unless they jag a forward through the preseason - say a J Kennedy, for example.

View attachment 1576325
Membrey & Sharman will be our marking talls - Roma needs to play full time ruck

value fc. v1.1.64

Screenshot_20221220_232857_Chrome.jpg

this was essentially my preseason idea.

its different. but it looks good.

i like the even spread across the field and everyone is 550k or less.. cant see any of these players losing value.

i think with the extra bye round. 35 trades and boosts are here to stay. if i can refrain from any early sideways trades and put faith in my 17 chosen poor keepers to average as close to a ton as possible.

I thought my 3 def premos and 1 very cheap def midpricer was tempting fate, but damn mate, that's quite a bit of exposure in your d4-d8 when it comes time to upgrade.
I am looking towards DPP times, going back not forward. That is where, it is a long tale for another time, I see more significant movements this time around.
I am very keen on value punting and at this time the value looks to be away from the D.
Stewart is the obvious one, along with Dawson, price/potential wise, so there could be an adjustment from 5 mids to 4 b4 the 1st bounce.
I like LJ & TC JS wise and the 4 rookies are place holders, but all highly touted and slightly over budgeted for deliberately to accommodate whoever emerges.

Membrey & Sharman will be our marking talls - Roma needs to play full time ruck
The very idea of Membrey having to lead a forward line should make you shiver; great F2 or 3, but fruit for the sideboard for any quality defender.
TC isn't as awful as people like to opine, so don't be surprised if Lyon gives the duo an early crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back