Preview 2023 Rd 21 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday August 6 3:20PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Team is in …

2 changes

IN: Fisher
OUT: Cerra (hamstring), McGovern (hamstring)

After starting last weekend as sub, Paddy Dow has been elevated into the starting side.

Backs:Brodie KempJacob WeiteringNic Newman
Half-backs:Alex CincottaCaleb MarchbankAdam Saad
Centreline:Sam DochertyPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Jack MartinCharlie CurnowZac Fisher
Forwards:Jesse MotlopMarc PittonetMatthew Owies
Followers:Tom De KoningGeorge HewettPaddy Dow
Interchange:Blake AcresMatthew CottrellDavid Cuningham
Lachie Fogarty
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsEd CurnowSam Durdin
Josh Honey

The challenge for Dow and Fisher is not just try to make up for the missing offence including clearance work and quality inside 50s that Walsh and Cerra provide but also try to apply the pressure that they do.

For example Walsh had 33 pressure acts against Port and Cerra had 30 despite not playing out the Port game (and had 16 in the half against the Pies).

Huge shoes to fill so will need others to step up too (which they have in recent games).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hopefully fish applies genuine tackling intent. Not just stick an arm out.
Don't hold you breathe. Would love to be proven wrong however.
Thought interesting 12 changes to the side that took them on earlier in the season. Noticeable the move away from one way, defensively poor footballers. Fisher one of those, see Dow, Lob etal. Fisher lucky owing to injury. Dow also, although more comfortable with Dow getting a full go off the back of his limited cameos. Does show we have a bit of depth now though.

The challenge for Dow and Fisher is not just try to make up for the missing offence including clearance work and quality inside 50s that Walsh and Cerra provide but also try to apply the pressure that they do.

For example Walsh had 33 pressure acts against Port and Cerra had 30 despite not playing out the Port game (and had 16 in the half against the Pies).

Huge shoes to fill so will need others to step up too (which they have in recent games).

Spot on this right here is the big unknown / risk

This is in my mind our first critical head to head (with our new found form/play style) where both teams are coming hard with basically everything on the line.

Like Pies v Port game where everything was laid bare.

We are not going in underdogs like Freo, Pies and Port with less obvious pressure on us.

We are going in with expectation and an opponent that needs this specific match as much as we do.

We find out a little bit more this weekend about us as a team.

Resilience and hardness please.

Hope like hell Fish brings the kind of intensity his teammates have been bringing for the last six weeks. We need him to. And if he doesn't, it'll say a lot about him.

Hate that we've put ourselves in the position where we have to sweat on every win now, but assuming Geelong makes the 8 we're going to have to knock out either these guys or GWS to make it. Huge, huge game for us.

I think it'll be tight.

Just had a quick look at your emergencies.

Who do you think will be Sub and or any late changes?

ELiam StockerJack BillingsJack Hayes
Tim Membrey

Billings as Sub. Has played small forward, wing, hb and even as a mid, and is a better and more experienced player than Stocker

Hayes and Membrey were in case King and Sharman (had a an issue last last game) respectively did not play. So they will only play if one of those two pull out.

Really interested to see how Fish goes. Have been a big fan since pre-draft but have just about given up on him being at the club next year.

There are a number of reasons for our resurgence but one of the biggest is our forward half pressure which has been immense. Not necessarily known as a high pressure small, it's absolutely crucial he brings that heat on Sunday afternoon.

A genuine opportunity for him to show he’s bought into the team’s intensity and selflessness. He was poor before being dropped but hope he grabs this chance and puts it all on the line.
Fisher Motlop and Durdin were all pretty ordinary within our early rounds of game style ordinariness, all for a number of different reasons…

Fisher the amongst the worst of them purely not offering much defensively, no chase downs or tackling pressure when he could, as TODN’s has identified across the past month just how well would have anybody else playing in small/medium forwards roles and could have possibly done in better..,

Our forwards were constantly dragged so far up the ground, with the way our forwards were out of position, our slow crap ball movement along with the opposition setting up a wall of numbers across the backline just picking us off due to our poor slow ball movement, bombing the ball directly back straight, often outnumbered along with poor choices in general made it so easy to counter defensively…

The forward structures have definitely made a big difference, Martin is a class act and hard as nails Cunners is smooth and classy who has an impact in small doses of late, but hasn’t had much of an influence the past 3 weeks, some good moments & gets to the right areas but needs to be more involved…

Fogarty who has his limitations as a pure goal kicker but adds a pure defensive combination of tackling & hardness along with a good ability of winning his own ball, be that forward or when he gets a chance in the midfield…

Fish will need to show defensively that he can bring something better than what he has previously…

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fisher will play well under the current team connection and selflessness

Had his best season last year under a similar style, think he will thrive

I looked back at Fishers last game for us at AFL level and it was against Melbourne and he was ranked 8th for pressure acts for us with a respectable 16 - so he has the ability to up that to mid 20s to make up for what Walsh and Cerra would have brought. He did only have the one tackle so needs to get better at sticking those but generally he is more than capable of applying pressure.

He’s also shown some flare for effective inside 50 kicks and lowering his eyes more than others. I also heard they gave him 100% midfield time in the VFL last week to prepare him for this so he really has a great opportunity to step up and perform.

I’m backing him to get it done.

He will always find something to moan about .

Absolutely correct we are warm favorites.
He is citing ladder position as reason his team should not be underdogs, but saints' position is on a rapid downward spiral.
THEY WILL MISS FINALS !

How rapid can the downhill spiral be, if with 4 rounds to play there are just 4 teams above us? Genuinely curious, from a mathematical point of view.

How is it a banana peel when you're below us on the ladder? Literally, if you win it's actually a scalp.
Maybe because you guys have done nothing but unconvincingly beaten shitkickers in the last 8 weeks? We had a better record at this time last year than you guys, yet were 7th. Ladder position absolutely doesn’t reflect form

Maybe because you guys have done nothing but unconvincingly beaten shitkickers in the last 8 weeks? We had a better record at this time last year than you guys, yet were 7th. Ladder position absolutely doesn’t reflect form

We have beaten everyone below us, barring Richmond and the Crows. What else more can we do? We've beaten Sydney in Sydney, GWS away, put paid to yourselves, the Dogs and Essendon. Also pushed PA, the Pies and Dee's to the limit. I would suggest ladder position most certainly reflects form.

I am too. Told my 17 year old son that I was worried about this game earlier today. He looked at me and said "thats because you're a pea heart". Had to laugh. I think I taught him that one.
I know of a bloke who used to say arseclown a lot back in the day , who also happens to have a 17 year old son.
Is that a strange coincidence ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back