Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its surprising how quickly people give up. Its like we shouldnt even show up for the last 2 weeks. Supporters are upset I get it but the season just isn't over yet. They are not going to drop half a side with finals still very achievable to play the kids. We will have a minimum 4 changes anyway so some will get a shot.

There is also no chance anyone at the club would think this season is over and neither do I. Anyone under the age of 40 has barely had a sniff of September following this club and if it means falling in at the death I'll take it.

We'll win this.

I had a similar view going into the Hawthorn game but I think with the amount of players we're going to have unavailable and our recent form, I genuinely see us as underdogs.

A win is certainly possible though and I'd still much prefer to play finals than miss out... but we're now at the mercy of other results going in our favour as well as 2 unlikely wins.

If we lose to Eagles as I expect and Fremantle lose away to GWS as expected then we will still be a chance for finals. Of course we would have to beat StKilda in the final round( unlikely ) and then Fremantle lose at home to Port...and if Carlton and Fremantle were to lose both their remaining games and Collingwood were to win both of theirs then Collingwood would make the 8...and what a bitterly fitting way that would be for our season to end.

One area that we need to really get after in this game is our F50 pressure.

We rank 18th for tackles inside 50 in our last five games averaging 6.0 per game. This was after being #1 in the AFL for the vast majority of the season (and still #3 overall now - averaging 11.6 per game).

We rank 18th for tackles inside 50 in our last five games averaging 6.0 per game. This was after being #1 in the AFL for the vast majority of the season (and still #3 overall now - averaging 11.6 per game).
Voss add that to the list. Or should we fax it to the appropriate tactical coach?

Would love to know what has happened- that’s a significant swing

Voss add that to the list. Or should we fax it to the appropriate tactical coach?
It's a player effort thing more than anything else. Also has to do with the positioning of our smalls of course which might be linked to the directions of Jordan Russell our forwards coach.

Coaching staff have made errors the last 6-weeks but all this stuff about the game plan/system just seems so resultist to me. A lot of the "problems" people are pointing out now were happening all year but individual players were not so badly out of form. I have been consistent on this for years now - there is enough talent on this least to achieve anything. Are there holes that can be filled? Of course but most teams have them.

What this team hasn't been able to bring consistently in 2024 is effort and pressure. We saw what it led to in the back half of 2023 - if we don't get back to that we will struggle.

And that's because our list has been built to rely on that. We have a very inside-heavy team and not a heap of players with elite disposal, unlike a Sydney for instance. Because of that we need to win the ball at the source and get the ball long to our two bigs up forward - if they can't mark we rely on our smalls/mid-sized forwards to lock it in because they aren't lead-up marking types (bar Martin/JSOS who are injured).

If we don't win it at the source we need to delay the ball going inside 50 because we can be exposed defensively due to our back seven having only one true key defender in Weitering. The less delay on the ball from our midfield the higher likelihood intercepting defenders like Gov or Kemp are going to be caught one-on-one against opposition key forwards where they will likely lose out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss also said we will find out about the club too

Of that I have no doubt

As opposed to what we found this week, or last week, or the month before that?

No, I know last week was our last chance to show something, and this week was our absolute last week to show something, but we are still playing next week against a bottom 3 team, so we think next week will be our extra special bonus absolute last week to learn about ourselves .... before our final extra special bonus game against the Saints in Round 24.

Just watch ... we're going to find out. It's happening. Put it in your diary.

I believe Voss will find out what Britain, pagan, Ratten, Mick, Bolton, Teague all found out.

Ron Funches GIF by PeacockTV

As opposed to what we found this week, or last week, or the month before that?

No, I know last week was our last chance to show something, and this week was our absolute last week to show something, but we are still playing next week against a bottom 3 team, so we think next week will be our extra special bonus absolute last week to learn about ourselves .... before our final extra special bonus game against the Saints in Round 24.

Just watch ... we're going to find out. It's happening. Put it in your diary.
So I assume this is just your opinion again?

So I assume this is just your opinion again?

The first line was me. The rest was me paraphrasing/satirising our next week mantra.

My changes:

Out: Curnow (inj), Fogarty (inj), Saad (inj), Martin (inj), Boyd (inj), Pittonet (omit), Owies (omit)

In: Lemmey, Mirkov, Wilson, Lord, Moir, Fantasia, Binns

Voss' changes:

Out: Curnow, Fogarty, Saad, Martin

In: J Carroll, C Durdin, Young, Binns

My team:

Cowan Weitering Kemp
Wilson McGovern Cincotta
O Hollands Cripps Acres
E Hollands McKay Moir
Motlop Lemming Kennedy
Mirkov Lord Walsh

Newman Hewett Binns Fantasia

Sub: Williams
I like your changes except Fantasia seen enough of him to stamp his paper although is contracted for 2025 i think so Durdin get another go still under 50 games so game 46..Lemmey definitely need to come in if Curnow out Young has never done anything up forward in VFL that i remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back