Preview 2024 Rd 23 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday 18th August 4.40PM AEST (2:40PM AWST) @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not clear to me whether next year we can relaunch or whether we drop down completely.

What I am pretty clear on though is with that injury list and poor form we are cooked and almost best just to get the year over with as quickly as possible. Please don’t tease us supporters though by getting done by a point or missing out on %

The annoying thing is we know what Voss has up his sleeve when challenged with injuries and it's terrible. Playing slow inside mids on flanks, that sort of rubbish. I have been saying it for years, our identification of where players are suitable to be played based on athletic traits is terrible.

Athletic profiling, using that to identify where individuals are suited to playing and using that to develop them is something this club is badly lacking.

If it was up to me I would pick a side like this.

Kemp Weitering Newman
Wilson McGovern O Hollands
Acres Cripps Binns
E Hollands Lemmy Williams
Motlop McKay Kennedy
Pittonet Walsh Hewett
Cowan Cincotta Lord Carroll
Young

IN:

Wilson - I look forward to his debut. When we drafted him I was wrapped. Multipositional player who runs both ways, has leg speed and generally uses it well. He's racked up possessions at half back in the VFL this season. I think he is going to be a really good footballer and probably would have debuted earlier if not for an injury set back. Coming off good form, I think he will be the sort who performs better at this level.

Binns - He's the player who has earned a spot on the wing in the seniors due to shear weight of quality games. We need to know what he can do at this level and this is the time to find out.

Lemmy - He's not quite ready and I have criticised him heavily. But he has also performed ok the last month and a half. We don't have much to lose and we have nothing to pick from. Could the motivation of playing AFL see him lift? Will the better standard do him favors? For mine he comes in and plays forward/ruck.

Lord - He's been impressive in the VFL. It's his tackline. He actually tackles and applies some pressure, something we are desperate for. He's ready to debut for mine.

Carroll - He's been our backup mid all season and his VFL form is good. It's time to really let him lose and give him good game time.

OUT:
Saad Boyd Curnow Martin Fogarty

Tactics:
Young is not normally your ideal sub but in this case he is. If Pittonet or Lemmy can't hack it he's there. We are going to have to push Pitto pretty hard, he's going to have to ruck to close to all day. I've picked a smaller side so bringing in a tall will not affect structure. He's also there for defensive backup as well with McGovern and Weitering always being on edge. Gives us the option to swing McGovern forward. Young is a good sub for this side.

Hollands to half back. I have been saying for ages that he has the traits of a good half back. Two way run, good spoiler, looks at home when he drifts back there as a winger. Will be great for his development and is a very similar position and role to defensive winger which he is used to playing.

Wilson, Cowan, Hollands and Kemp are our main runners. Very young and inexperienced but sometimes youthful excitement can really spark a team. I'm backing them in to give us some energy and bounce back there.

Kennedy forward and a midfield rotation. We know he can play forward a bit, don't ever want to see him in defence. Gives us an aerial target. He can rotate with Cripps and do it a fair bit.

Cincotta to play as an attacking mid at times. But to be used more as a utility. He can play forward, he can play back. He gives us great flexibility if we have an injury.

The big swing. If things aren't working up forward, we can sub a forward out. Lemmy for example. McGovern goes forward and Young goes back. Young rucks part time.

Big rotations. For some reason we just do this poorly. We don't rotate the mids enough. Cripps to spend more time forward. Kennedy, Motlop if he's gone for a quiet spell, E Hollands, Cincotta. They will all spend time through the middle with Cripps, Walsh, Lord, Carroll and Hewett as main mids. For some reason big rotations aren't a part of our game but they should be. Excess onballer should see more rotations, instead it sees us play players out of position a lot.

I want to see more tackline and more energy around the ground. Our midfield needs to lift in this area. High rotations. Lord bringhing what he's been doing at VFL level. A weak opposition, this is the time for our youth to step up.

Write off 2024. This team is too cooked to make a dent in September.

Any player in need of an operation or prolonged rest need to be omitted. Any player unable to cope with niggles and do their job, likewise.

I have Curnow, Saad, Fogarty, Martin, Boyd and Acres out for starters. Pitto is carrying something or checked out, (gone from honest soldier to going through motions) time to give the beanpole a chance to create an AFL future. Not considering C. Durdin who needs to get that shoulder right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No guarantees of this one. We may well win, but knowing us lately, it will be unconvincing and hard fought.

Whatever, I just want 4 points and to see something enjoyable.

Season is over. We can't win it. ONE win in 6 games and a growing injury list makes it impossible.

Time to see what we have and try some things. Maximise our list and see if we have some hidden Gold.

Ollie Hollands to HB. Create run and run straight. Will help is ball use which is generally good but he is runni g around corners
Kemp forward as third tall and back up ruck. Being wasted and hurt in defence
Mirkov in as Ruck. Wouldn't have considered this a month ago but form is good and WCE ruck is poor
Elijah more midfield
Young into defence on Allen.
Lord needs to play and in the middle. Move Hewett to HB where he plays at Swans
Cowan on a wing. Saw him play midfield in 2's early in year and looked very good.
Binns has to play surely?
Jack Carroll plays

Lemmey is an option but lacks effort
Wilson I love but just back from concussion and still finding his way
Moir had his best game on weekend in regards to effort but still lacks engine

Names like Pittonet, Owies, Motlop will play as we have no one else but their form has been poor

My fear is Voss won't do anything different

Last edited:
Players available this week:
N Newman
Z Williams
M McGovern
P Cripps
B Acres (?)
G Hewett
M Pittonet
A Cincotta
M Owies
M Kennedy
J Weitering
H McKay
L Young
A Mirkov
S Walsh
B Kemp
C Durdin
E Hollands
D Akuei
J Carroll
J Motlop
O Hollands
H Lemmey
R Monahan
J Binns
L Cowan
C Lord
A Moir
B Wilson
Add Harry to that list

Disaster mode activated

Rest anyone who’s 50/50 please

Out Curnow McKay Saad Fog Martin Boyd

In Young, Marchbank Binns Lord Carroll Wilson

Newman - Wieters - Marchbank
Ollie - Young - Cowan

Walsh - Cripps - Acres
Pitto - Hewitt - Carroll

EH - Kemp - Kennedy
Owies - Gov - Motts

Binns - Williams - Cinc - Lord - Wilson

Flip the magnets….Give Kemp and Gov a new role (might fire up Gov going against his brother) Young to relief ruck when Pitto is gassed

Kennedy and Cripps to rotate 3rd tall in order to give Lord a good go…Carroll fresh so let him run in there. Cinc to be 7th defender and Williams to rotate high half forward

Wilson obviously raw but I’d give him the vest don’t want to see Fantasia coming off injury but I’m scared we will…Ditto Durdin

I’d love to drop a Pitto bit I don’t think we are bold enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back